|Occupation:||Doctor's companion, English Teacher, Nanny|
previously barmaid and a governess
|Title/Rank:||The Impossible Girl|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Clara Oswald (also known as Clara Oswin Oswald after her various "splinters") is the sixth companion of the Doctor to appear in the reboot of Doctor Who. She is portrayed by Jenna-Louise Coleman. Clara is presented to the audience as three distinct, though similarly-named, people all portrayed by Coleman.
Clara Oswald is the Impossible Girl, who the doctor meets throughout time and space in different incarnations. She is Oswin Oswald, Junior Entertainment Coordinator for a Starship, who was converted to a Dalek but dies to save the Doctor in the Dalek Asylum. In Victorian London, she is leading a double life, as Clara Oswald the barmaid and Miss Montague, the governess. She is killed in the course of the adventure, and her last words are - "Run, you clever boy, and remember".
Clara Oswald, a modern version and the original, also works as an au pair. She is terrible with computers; calling a help line, she accidentally reaches the Doctor, who is thrilled to find her again and quickly whisks her off on his adventures. Over the course of the season they discover that her life is entwined with the Doctor's: leaping into his timeline to save his life, she is scattered across all his lives, intervening to save him - and dying as a result - in every one.
Clara becomes a teacher at Coal Hill School - the same school attended by the Doctor's granddaughter in 1963, where First Doctor companions Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright once taught, and where Ace once hit a Dalek with a baseball bat. There she meets and falls in love with fellow teacher and former soldier Danny Pink. When he discovers her double life, Danny is unimpressed with the Doctor and tries to stop her adventures in time. When Danny is killed in a road accident, and later resurrected as a Cyberman, Clara realizes she can't have it all, but commits herself fully to adventures with the Doctor.
It's on one of these adventures that Clara's reckless actions results in her own death. The Doctor returns to Gallifrey to speak to Clara one last time. The Timelords extract her from the moment before her death, to seek her aid, but the Doctor plans to save her and refuses to return Clara to her timeline. The Doctor forgets Clara, and she ends up travelling through time and space with Ashildr.
Clara is commonly shipped with the Eleventh incarnation of the Doctor. This pairing is often called Whoufflé due to her character baking a soufflé in her first appearance in the Dalek Asylum. She is shipped with the Twelfth Doctor as well, particularly in Series 9, during which the actors and showrunner repeatedly described the two as being engaged in an "old fashioned romance". This has become the most common pairing for Clara on Ao3 and is known as Whouffaldi. The canon pairing of Clara and Danny Pink, known as Ospink or Pinkwald, is a rare pairing. She is also rarely shipped with the Tenth Doctor, following the 50th anniversary episode. Their pairing name is Allonswin.
In some fan circles she travels with Jenny, the Doctor's daughter; sometimes one or the other of them is the Doctor, and they are often in a romantic or sexual relationship. More rarely she is placed in a similar configuration with Rose. The Series 9 revelation that Clara might have had a bisexual relationship with author Jane Austen (hinted at in two episodes, with one having Clara describe Austen as "a phenomenal kisser") led to shipping of the two.
In crossovers she is sometimes shipped with Bucky Barnes, due to Coleman's role as his girlfriend Connie in Captain America: The First Avenger. Crossover fics pairing Clara with Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It also appear, as Peter Capaldi also portrayed that character.
- The Wedding Tree by antennapedia, For once an encounter with an advanced civilization was not going to end in war, catastrophe, disaster, or even a pell-mell run toward something or away from something. It was just a lovely thank-you ceremony for the two of them, that's all, followed by a lovely night high up in a tree house. With one bed. Wait. (12/Clara)
- Heartlines] by frombluetored, An unknown threat sucks the Doctor and Clara into a parallel universe and leaves them stranded. While biding their time, they encounter the Clara of that universe and her achingly familiar husband. [12/Clara meets domestic!Clara/11].
- Personal Assistance by TheScholarlyStrumpet (equipoise), Clara Oswald leaves behind teaching to enter the world of British politics. What better way to make a splash than by working for the infamous Malcolm Tucker?
- Remember Me | Clara Oswald | 2012 - 2015
- Rest Now, Clara.
- Doctor and Clara | never again
- The Doctor reunites with Clara (AU)
- Clara Oswin Oswald works tagged at AO3
- James "Bucky" Barnes / Clara Oswin Oswald works tagged at AO3