|Creator:||Dan Goor and Michael Schur|
|Date(s):||September 17, 2013 – present|
|Medium:||Live-action Television series|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Official website Wikipedia page IMDB|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Brookyln Nine-Nine is an American action/comedy TV show focusing on the (fictional) 99th Precinct of the New York City Police Department in Brooklyn.
- Detective Jake Peralta - a talented but childish detective. Played by Andy Samberg.
- Captain Ray Holt - the Precinct's strict new Commanding Officer. He has a husband, whose name is Kevin. Played by Andre Braugher.
- Detective Rosa Diaz - a smart, tough detective; she also has some anger issues, which usually causes tensions in the precinct. Played by Stephanie Beatriz.
- Detective Sergeant Terence "Terry" Jeffords - the detective squad's leader. Following his twin daughters birth, he suffered a breakdown of sorts where he "lost his edge" and any desire to work in the field due to a fear of losing his life and leaving his children without a father. Played by Terry Crews.
- Detective Amy Santiago - Jake's uptight and overachieving partner. Played by Melissa Fumero.
- Detective Charles Boyle - a clumsy detective who has a large crush on Detective Diaz. Played by Joe Lo Truglio.
- Gina Linetti - sardonic civilian Administrator. Played by Chelsea Peretti.
- Detective Michael Hitchcock - usually seems to have no idea what's going on. Played by Dirk Blocker.
- Detective Norm Scully - middle-aged, lazy and overweight. Played by Joel McKinnon Miller.
The fandom is still small compared to other new 2013-2014 shows and is mainly focused on Tumblr, AO3 and FFN websites. It qualified for Yuletide in 2013, and fics have been written for it every year since then. Due to its three main female characters, it is also a popular fandom in woman-centric and femslash-centric fanworks exchanges like rarewomen and femslashex.
By the end of the first season, the most popular ship was the het ship of Jake Peralta/Amy Santiago. Femslash is significantly more popular than M/M slash, and the most popular femslash pairing is Rosa Diaz/Amy Santiago, though Rosa Diaz/Gina Linetti has been growing in popularity. Despite this, the canon M/M pairing Ray Holt/Kevin Cozner is popular, and a few smaller slash pairings have gotten some traction, such as Jake Peralta/Charles Boyle.
Cancellation and Renewal
In May 2018, Fox canceled Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but the show was picked up by NBC 31 hours later. In that short amount of time, fans expressed their outrage at the cancellation using twitter hashtags #RenewB99 and #SaveB99. There were also several fan petitions. When the season 6 renewal was announced, fans reacted online using appropriate gifs and memes to express themselves. For example:
- Fake Relationship fic is fairly common, with the members of the fanwork's ship going undercover as a couple to solve a case. However this trope is not limited to casefic. For example:
- Common Alternative Universe works include Soulmate AUs and High School AUs.
- Crossovers are fairly common. These include crossovers with other fandoms set in New York, with Marvel Cinematic Universe crossovers very common. Parks and Rec crossovers also appear, possibly due to both shows been created by Michael Schur.
- 2013 Brooklyn Nine-Nine by GabeLamberty
- Brooklyn Nine Nine by wildcard24
- Detective Jake Peralta by redsunnies
- Bros by miri-k (Charles & Jake)
- Santiago & Diaz: Brooklyn Detective Series by celestedoodles
- oops I b99’d by asutori
Archives and Communities
- There were three works posted for B99 during rarewomen 2013 (see: the Rare Women 2013 collection) and 10 participants requested B99 for femslashex 2014 (see: Sign-Up Summary for Femslash Exchange 2014).
- As of 9 February 2017, 834 of the 1301 Brooklyn Nine-Nine works on the AO3 were tagged Amy/Jake.
- As of 9 February 2017, there were 215 works tagged F/F versus only 79 works tagged M/M on AO3.
- As of 4 September 2014, 31 works on AO3 were tagged Amy/Rosa. Amy/Rosa and Amy/Jake were the only ships tagged more than 10 times.