|Fandom:||Buffy the Vampire Slayer|
|Archives:||The Spuffy Realm Elysian Fields|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Spike was introduced as Season 2's Little Bad and was shown to have a certain fondness for Buffy as an opponent. Indeed it was later revealed that Spike's interest in Buffy affected his relationship with Drusilla Spike's return in Season 4 as a series regular led to more non-violent interaction between the two, though it was not until Season 5 that Spike "realised" he was in love with Buffy.
Spike's pursuit of Buffy in Season 5 was controversial, running the gamut from violent stalking to surprisingly selfless (for a vampire) acts such as withstanding Glory's torture to protect Dawn. However, this was nowhere near as controversial as their Season 6 relationship, which incited criticism from practically all sections of the fandom at one point or another. In the early episodes, some fans objected to Buffy taking Spike into her confidence and spending time with him at the expense of the Scoobies; as the season progressed, Spike and Buffy's violent affair was often described as an abusive relationship, but people argued at length over which of the two was the abusive partner (and which the victim); Spike's post-break-up, post-fling-with-Anya assault on Buffy in her bathroom was seen by some as an unforgivable rape-attempt, by others as an understandable extension of their greatly dysfunctional affair. Spike's quest for (and regaining of) his soul, the ultimate consequence of the Season 6 Buffy/Spike relationship, only brought more contention. Fan opinions of the Season 6 relationship, it should be said, were never (and have never become) either binary or linear between two opposing extremes. Barb Cummings, for example, wrote a review of the sixth season in which she discussed Buffy/Spike as "BtVS's real queer relationship."
((And people got stressed about S7 as well.))
Fandom & Fanon
People began shipping Buffy/Spike almost immediately after Spike's introduction in the second season.
When Buffy and Spike's relationship became canon in the sixth season, some fans saw Buffy as exploiting and abusing Spike. Others felt that they could have a functional relationship, and wrote fic about that relationship.
Common tropes and different Spike flavours/eras...
- Victorian-era human William
- Evil-unchipped-Spike: pre-series (relatively rare), S2, Spike meeting Buffy outside Sunnydale between S2 & S3, "Harsh Light of Day" AUs
- S4 evil-but-chipped-Spike eg "Something Blue" AUs
- S5/6 chipped-Spike, especially alternative S6 where Buffy is more accepting of the relationship, "Tabula Rasa" AUs
- Souled Spike, often going AU after the S6 finale and ignoring S7 canon
- AtS S5 Spike, especially "The Girl in Question" AUs
- Post-NFA Spike
- Human Spike, eg post-shanshu
- All-human AUs
- Vampire Buffy
- Time travel, frequently where white-hat or souled-Spike visits evil-Spike eras resulting in season AUs
- Pregnancy (magical or via time travel)
- Magic made 'em do it, ritual sex
- Claiming (vampire form of mating for life)
- Anaross My Life Closed Twice, Unspoken, Long Day's Journey, Stay
- Angearia Thought You Should Know
- Anna S - Buffy Season Noir
- Avalon Love Is Blind
- Barb Cummings - the Barbverse: A Raising in the Sun, Necessary Evils, etc.
- Baphrosia (formerly - spuffy_luvr) - Ipseity and Piece of Cake
- Dutchbuffy2305 Actions Past
- Cousinjean The Butterfly Effect, Perfect World
- Eurydice Rhapsody in Oil, Beg the Liquid Red
- Glassdarkly (aka shapinglight, aka DeborahMM) - Casablanca, Heroes in Hell and The Worst Journey in the World
- Herself Bittersweets, Disenchantment
- HollyDB The Writing on the Wall
- Kallysten Childe & Sire Saga, The Bloody 'verse, Tabula Rasa Ad Aeternum
- Kantayra Worth A Thousand Words...
- Kita and Jess - Six Foot Deep
- KnifeEdge - West of the Moon, East of the Sun
- macha - descant decending
- Miss Murchison Cubed, If it's Tuesday, this must be Sunnydale, Giftless
- Nan Dibble - Blood
- Nautibitz was known for writing sexy stories, especially All Over It and In Heat
- Quinara - 'I love you' is a thing you say to people who are dying , Turn and Face the Strain
- Saber ShadowKitten (see Sabershadowkat's Home Page) wrote tons of B/S fic, including Humanitis 
- Shadowlass A Very Joan and Randy Christmas
- St Salieri All the Better to Bite You With, Buffy vs. the TeeVee
- Spuffy Fan Fiction Awards (2003-2009)
- Buffy and Spike colored by zirofax (2007)
- umbrella-ella-ella EH EH EH by ShichininSlasher (2010)
- West and East by LouisaGallie (2010)
- Kitty!Spuffy by dualbunny (2010)
- Buffy and Spike by Prof-Dr-Dr-Weird (2011)
- The Secret Garden by mkk_willow (2011) (scroll down to see Buffy/Spike, Jo Chen's Angel/Buffy comics cover is just a reference)
- Buffy Babies by Microbluefish (2012)
- Before The Goodbye by NLevaschuk (2013)
- Out of My Mind by no-literally (2015)
- Soulful by boiiko (2015)
- Blood of Me by Here's luck
- I Touch Myself by Ascian
- Luminosity made a few Spike and Buffy/Spike vids.
- 4'33 by quinara
- The Bloodshedverse
- Elysian Fields
- Nocturnal Light (link)
- The Spuffy Realm (link)
- Vampire's Kiss (WBM link) (offline)
Communities & Rec Sites
- Seasonal Spuffy - an LJ community
- Ice Cream for Freaks -- Spuffy-centric recs site by Doyle
- Fag Ends - LJ community for posting Buffy/Spike shortfic
Ship Manifestos & Meta
- My Spike and Buffy by the_royal_anna
- Spike and Buffy: An Ironic Twist in Story of Psyche & Eros by Shadowcat67
- Fulfillment in the Hands of Fire by Tallgent
- Buffy and Spike: Gone with the Fire by moscow_watcher
- Intervention Essay by elisi
- Buffy Love, Lust and Trust -- A Relationship Analysis by Colleen Hillerup
- List of meta on different aspects of Buffy/Spike relationship
- For example, see What's My Line II (accessed 10 Aug 2009), when Spike responds to Buffy swapping in as his opponent (rather than Kendra) with "I'd rather be fighting you anyway."
- In Fool for Love (accessed 10 Aug 2009) we are shown a flashback to 1998 when Drusilla confronts Spike with "Why can't you kill her? ... You're all covered with her. I look at you; all I see is the Slayer."