|Name:||Spike, William the Bloody|
|Occupation:||vampire, failed poet|
|Relationships:||Drusilla, Buffy, Angel, Fanged Four|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Spike was an enormously popular character. Although people had been writing about him ever since his introduction in season two, Spike-centric fanac exploded during season five, with his shift from comically obnoxious antihero to lovesick woobie (evil woobie, thanks very much. but still: woobie.). This change in his function on the show, and every subsequent change for the next four years, provoked vast amounts of angst, joy, wank and fanac. Fans were compelled by Spike's slow, fraught shifts of allegiance, and argued vigorously about whether a soulless vampire could ever really propel himself into redemption.
In season five, Buffy/Spike emerged as a potentially serious canonical rival to Buffy/Angel. When their relationship was consummated in season six, the fandom went bonkers. There were intense Spuffy vs. Bangel shipping wars. B/S fans scoffed at B/A fans for being stuck in an adolescent fairytale; B/A fans accused B/S fans of valorizing an unhealthy and often brutal relationship. Ship manifestos were written, allegiance-bearing icons were brandished, and much, much fic got written.
Redemtionistas vs. Evil!Spike
Within the Spike fanbase, there were two distinct groups of fans. Some fans liked Spike's story of redemption and the other prefered to explore his evil side.
St. Spike vs. Buffy the Bitch
Season six was when Spike's relationship with Buffy became canon by the way their relationship developed (to some fans) left much to be desired. The character shift during that time was a source of much debate (in the fandom, as well as among Buffy/Spike shippers).
A certain tendency in fanfic could be noticed during that period where Spike was depicted as self-sacrificing (even before the soul), doing the right thing kind of guy, whereas Buffy was portrayed as more unstable, abusive partner.
Spike and his Soul
After Spike earned his soul at the end of season six fandom, responded with A LOT of fanfic. Even before season seven premiered, fans wrote fics (in major part basing Spike's possible reactions on Angel) about how Spike deals with the soul.
When the beginning of season seven showed Spike insanity as a result of getting back his soul, fanfic writers responded with a lot of Hurt/Comfort fics.
Fan websites include The Bloody Awful Poet Society (now offline).
Spike in Fanfic
Spike is the little black dress of Buffyverse fandom. He's been paired with everybody from Joyce Summers to Mr. Gordo, and a zillion crossover characters besides. His most popular ship is Buffy/Spike, two other most popular pairings - Spike/Xander and Angel/Spike - are following far behind. There are substantial bodies of work pairing him with Tara, Illyria, Drusilla, Wesley and Giles.  See pairing pages for overviews of pairing-specific trends, influential authors, etc.
Spike-centric gen often explores his history before he came to Sunnydale, his brotherly relationship with Dawn, or his struggles with his self-identity and moral code.
Notable Gen Stories
- Rise (He Buys Cigarettes) by Kawcrow (BtVS4)
- The Stranger's Portrait by Rowan (pre-series)
- The Wanton Folly of Me Mum by Sylvia Volk (AtS5)
- Second Hand by Kita (AtS5)
- Seraph by Snickfic (Spike & Dawn, mpreg, BtVS S4)
- A Raising In The Sun by Barb Cummings (Post BtVS S5)
- Lost Luggage by SpikeDru (Spike & Joyce, BtVS S5)
- Here Comes a Candle by wiseacress (Spike & Xander, BtVS S5 or S6)
- Descent by Indri (Post BtVS S6)
- Red Frame, White Light by sparrow2000 (Spike, Xander, BtVS S7)
- Company in Hell by Glassdarkly (AtS S5)
- Dial N For Nancy-Boy by deird1 (Spike & Angel, BtVS S4 - post-series)
- The Ghost of Maggie Walsh: Doll by Chris Geary-Durrill (futurefic)
- Rock Star Spike by CantonHeroine (2006)
- Spike.2 - Details by SayaDarkholme (2009)
- Smile Time: the Comic by AstridV (2009)
- Well? by sueworld (2009) (manip that gets mistaken for an actual James Marsters photo most often)
- Join the Scoobies by MyShoesAreOnFire (2011)
- Randy Giles by Pomegranate-Pen (2012)
- Killing the Slayer by deidarairuka (2012)
- First drop of blood... by syllirium (2012)
- Bring on the Night by LadyCerbero (2012)
- Spike by scary-cherry (2013)
- Spike print by muin-an-staers (2013)
- Get that kitten off your shoulder, Spike! by thesanityclause (2013)
- William Spike Pratt by MorganeDeMatons (2014)
- Chains by sueworld (2014)
- Nevermind the BloodLoss by kgullholmen (2014)
- Spike illustration by Kira Beaudoin (2014)
- William by skiddiejoan (2014)
- Closer by Sisabet (Angel/Spike)
- Schism by Vrya (warning - vid is not uploaded on YouTube by the author)
- Still Breathing by Charmax
- Origin Stories by Giandujakiss. Although not Spike-centric, this vid presents an unusual and compelling argument about Spike's privileged position on the show.
- So Sad, So Lonely by sdwolfpup
- Black Black Heart (Spike/Spike's Duster) by dualbunny
- Tragedy by dualbunny
- Respectable by Charmax
- No Self Control by thedothatgirl
- Sail by Afterthebattle
- Who Are You, Really? by Afterthebattle
Resources and Communities
- All About Spike, a Spike-centric site that collected stories from 2002-2005, and remains open as a valuable read-only archive.
- Soulful Spike Society (inactive)
- Tea at the Ford (inactive)
- Nekid Spike - members-only (18+) Livejournal community, still active in 2016.
- Noel of Spike - seasonal (Christmas) Livejournal community, still active in 2016.
- Pairing list at allaboutspike.com, accessed 14 March 2009.
- Buffy/Spike list at Archive of Our Own, accessed 11 February 2016.
- Spike/Xander list at Archive of Our Own, accessed 11 February 2016.
- Angel/Spike list at Archive of Our Own, accessed 11 February 2016.
- //cite stats at All About Spike// //cite Makd//