|Relationships:||Family: sister Dawn, mother Joyce; Scoobies: Giles, Willow, Xander; boyfriends: Angel, Riley, Spike|
|Fandom:||Buffy the Vampire Slayer|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Buffy Summers is the eponymous heroine of the television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She is played by Sarah Michelle Gellar.
"Into each generation, a slayer is born. One girl, in all the world, a chosen one. One born with the strength and skill to hunt the vampires, to stop the spread of evil..."
"...blah blah, I've heard it, okay?"
('Welcome to the Hellmouth')
Created as an anti-archetype, the small, seemingly defenseless blonde who turns out have superpowers, Buffy is forever juggling life as a superhero on whose petite shoulders rests the weight of the world with the normal business of being a teenage girl... friends, schoolwork, dating. Early seasons revolve around her doomed romance with vampire Angel, all Romeo & Juliet in high school. She gets to die for the first time at the hands of his granddad. Later seasons focus on the trials of growing up, particularly when monks land her with an imaginary younger sister, her mother suddenly gets sick and dies, she dies for the second time, her best friend drags her back from heaven, and her father figure leaves her. It's all enough to make a girl shag her vampire stalker.
I started out this season with the assumption that ... I knew what kind of girl Buffy was, that for all her flaws, and they are many, she was essentially a caring person. By the middle of the season I was reluctantly convinced that I was completely wrong, and that the only thing Buffy felt for Spike was lust, loathing, and some kind of possessiveness which demanded he remain her devoted worshiper but denied him even the most basic respect in return. I'm willing to take the word of the writers that this was not what they intended, but the sad fact is, this is how it came off to a large portion of the audience--even those who are not Spike fans in particular. And that is not good.
This season Mutant Enemy made me hate a character I'd previously liked a lot. Even after she acknowledged that she was using Spike, Buffy kept on doing it, and by her silence encouraged her friends to do likewise. Because it was easy for her. Because she was afraid of what they'd say. This season Buffy became the worst kind of moral coward.
Juleskicks defends Buffy:
Ultimately, I tend to think that one of Buffy's greatest crimes, in a show whose main characters are often social rejects, geeks, unpopular, awkward, outcasts, and in a world where people like Cordelia and Lilah are punished for being successful and confident and -- shock! -- even popular? Is that Buffy has some self-esteem. It's that she knows that there are things she does well. She knows that there are things that make her valuable. She knows that she is important.
And, again, in what is a great shock to all of us? She's not happy with it. ...
Buffy, like Lilah and Cordelia, shows us that beautiful, popular, talented, successful people? Do have pain. Just like people who aren't successful, or popular, or socially adept.
And god knows we can't have that.
The major ships are Buffy/Angel (Bangel), which was popular early in the series, and Buffy/Spike (Spuffy), which later overtook the pairing with Angel. [See the Spike article for details of attendant fireworks.] Buffy is also paired with numerous other characters including Giles in het, and Faith and Willow in femslash.
- Into the Blue by Ascian. AU for the episode 'Normal Again'
- Ketchup Blood by Kalima. Spuffy vignette with spot-on Buffy characterisation
- Phoenix Burning by Yahtzee. An AU futurefic novel often praised for its characterisation of Buffy; Buffy/Angel
- The Waiting Room by Nestra. Buffy's first death; vignette
- My Immortal by Elisi. Torchwood crossover (Buffy/Jack Harkness)
- Things Present - Things Past by Estepheia. Magic gone awry, Buffy ends up in 1800 and meets a human William.
- Coin Operated Boy by sdwolfpup **
- Are We The Lucky Ones? External Link
- Boulevard of Broken Songs
- Buffy Summers Tribute (Empowering) - Indestructible Master of War
- Buffy Summers || Nobody's Home
- "She's a hero, you see" ~ a tribute to Buffy Summers
- Buffy Summers | The Way
- Buffy vs Edward: Twilight Remixed,Youtube Link
- **Vids not uploaded by creator
Essays and Resources
Archives & Fannish Links
- "All About Spike: Barb's end-of-season review-cum-letter to ME". Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Idol Reflections: BtVS/Angel: Buffy Summers: And you are?". Retrieved 15 February 2012.