|Occupation:||Watcher, Rogue Demon Hunter, Helping the Hopeless|
|Fandom:||Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
I've seen a darkness in myself. I'm not sure you'd even begin to understand.
I flayed a guy alive and tried to destroy the world.
Darkness. Been there.
Yeah. Well I never flayed... I had a woman chained in a closet.
—Wesley & Willow ('Orpheus')
Wesley plays a comedic role in BtVS season 3, anti-cool incarnate, but the character is slowly reinvented after he's fired as a Watcher and joins Angel Investigations. A spot of torture at the hands of Faith kick-starts a downwards spiral that just keeps on heading downwards -- domestic abuse, child kidnapping, women chained in closets, sleeping with the enemy, daddy issues culminating in attempted patricide, and lots and lots of sexy stubble...
Princess Bunny writes: Wesley tackled death, killing, magic, love, sex, and betraying everyone you love. Pretty heady stuff for someone who could barely manage a stake when we first saw him. Out of most the characters I've seen, I think Wesley underwent the best evolution from a one-dimensional character to an almost flesh and blood ideal. He had flaws and a dark side, but it was all for one purpose. For the side of Good to win, no matter what he had to become, give up, do, he would, in order to defeat the Darkness that reached for the World. ... I like that he went dark, it gave him more depth and most importantly: the Wesley type of characters tend to be abused, so I cheer when they fight back.
Sheila writes: ...Wesley ... is, largely, a reflective character. If he's surrounded by people who think he's capable, then that's exactly what he is. Put him with Virginia Bryce or Gunn, put him by himself, and Wesley is capable of some pretty remarkable things. Put him with Faith and suddenly you have Wesley the ruthless crazy guy. Put him with Cordelia and you have Wesley, the Gay Best Friend. / And dude, I have to admit? Wesley the Badass Competent Wonderboy is a whole 'nother game of hotness.
Sockkpuppett writes: ...I adore Wes. ... No other character in the Jossverse, with the exception of Spike, has evolved to the extent that Wes has. When I first saw Wes in 'Bad Girls', I was taken aback by the arrival of such a one-dimensional, priggish buffoon on a show where every character, from Anya to Oz, was nuanced and complex. That was what I was supposed to think. Wes's refusal to get with the program pissed me off, and in retrospect, it was supposed to. Around 'Graduation Day', layers started to appear. By the time Wes showed up in LA, holding a crossbow to Angel's throat, I was seeing lots of layers. Never mind that Angel disarmed him immediately. Sunnydale Wes would never have had the nerve to do it in the first place.
Wesley rarely appears in BtVS works, but he's a popular character in AtS fanfiction, particularly pre-'Not Fade Away'. His arc from clown to mini-Giles to dark warrior provides fan writers with plenty of scope, and the various injuries he suffers in canon give fodder by the bucketload for angst and hurt/comfort.
Many fans read the character as gay from his introduction, and the most frequent pairings featuring him are slash. The popular buddy pairing Wesley/Gunn probably just has the edge over the darker-tinged Angel(us)/Wesley, but he's also commonly slashed with most of the Buffyverse men, notably Wesley/Connor, Wesley/Giles and Spike/Wesley. In het, the canonical Wesley/Lilah found favour with fans and Faith/Wesley is also popular; other minor pairings include Welsey/Cordelia, Buffy/Wesley, Fred/Wesley and Wesley/Illyria.
Authors particularly associated with the character include Glossolalia, Gunbunny, James Walkswithwind, Jane St Clair, Jennifer-Oksana, JustHuman, Karabair/Likeadeuce, Minim Calibre, Sheila Perez, Shrift, Te and Wesley's Girl.
- Alignment by Lar -- Wesley & Faith
- Lost in the Supermarket by Lint -- Wesley & Illyria
- Periodic Table of the Wesley by Dana Woods -- character study from Fred's PoV
- Seven Virtues From a Broken Hill by Minim Calibre -- character study from one of the leading Wesley interpreters
- Shaken, Not Stirred by FayJay -- a perfect James Bond moment
- Slightly Darker Than Black, Burn, The Dead Church by Julie Fortune -- darkfic series
- William the Bloody Useless and the Beaker of Doom by Roseveare -- early Wes with Spike
- 40 Days of One-Night Stands by Jennifer-Oksana -- Wes/Lilah from the queen of the pairing
- Preparation by Likeadeuce -- a rare example of Wes/Cordelia
- Standard Perpetuity by Mosca -- Wes/Lilah
- Epiphany by The Brat Queen -- Angel/Wes series
- He Grieves Sore by Estepheia -- Wes/Spike h/c
- Latency by Shrift -- Wes/Gunn
- These Reasonable Taboos by Glossolalia -- Wesley/Connor
- For more examples of Wesley/Gunn see that pairing page
In Fan Art
A selection of fan art featuring Wesley:
- A Hole In The World by Ferntree. Portrait of Wesley mourning Fred; marker pen drawing (2006)
- BirthdayVerse by Ferntree. Action portrait with Gunn set in the Birthdayverse; marker pen drawing (2006)
- Wesley Wyndam-Pryce by sassyskunk. Action portrait; brush pen (2006)
- Wesley and Fred by Tumblekax. Pen & ink drawing (2010)
- Wesley by yana-s8. Pencil portrait (2011)
- Wesley Wyndam-Pryce by AngelofMusic2288. Pencil portrait with stubble (2012)
- Wesley Wyndam Pryce by MaxFerrino. Two-gun action-Wes is a popular subject; colour digital art (2013)
Vids featuring Wesley include:
- And – Kiss Me by Obsessive24 -- Wesley/Illyria
- Big Fish by yhlee -- Wesley, Angel and Illyria
- Permanent Smile by Dianne DeSha -- crossover with Farscape
- Someday by Wolfling -- Angel/Wesley
- Suicide Note by Charmax -- Wesley/Illyria
- How to Win my Love in Six Acts by Princess Bunny (2004)
- Wesley: An Analysis by Victor D. Infante
- Wesley, AtS and gay stereotypes by The Brat Queen (2003)
- Angel's Repressed, and Wes Has a Bucket (Angel/Wesley) by Sockkpuppett (2004)
- Lilah Sharp and Rawdon Wyndam-Pryce (Wesley/Lilah) by Jennifer-Oksana (2004)
- No Happily Ever After (Wesley/Illyria) by Amber D. (2004)
- Shoulder to Shoulder (Wesley/Gunn) by Sheila (2004)
- Some With the Hands of Gold (Wesley/Connor) by Amber D. (2004)
- Stigmatized (Fred/Wesley) by Milla (2004)
- Two of a Kind (Spike/Wesley) by Flaming Muse (2004)
- Who Watches the Watchers (Giles/Wesley) by lostgirl (2004)
- Unlikely Pairings 3: Wesley/Buffy by Anna S
- Deconstructing Wesley -- BtVS Writers Guild Wesley Zone (defunct)
- Go Wes Go -- fansite (defunct)
- Riposte -- archive for Watchergirls list, for fiction focusing on Wesley or Rupert Giles
- Way 007 -- fansite (defunct)
- Wesleyan Aria -- fansite (defunct)
- Wesley Slash Archive -- archive (defunct)
- Yes Wes -- fansite (defunct)
- Dangerous Habits -- Angel/Wesley shipper site, with small fiction archive
- Ever Faithful Englishman -- Wesley/Faith
- It's Been Emotional -- Wesley/Gunn shipper site, with essays & fic recs (defunct)
- Latitude -- Buffy/Wesley archive, essays
- Poetry in Motion -- Fred/Wesley
- Tea for Two -- small Giles/Wesley archive (now defunct)
- The Gunn/Wesley Fanfiction Archive -- archive for the Gunn/Wesley list
- [Many more defunct shipper sites at Wesleyfanfiction.net Resources]
Communities, Mailing Lists
- angel_wes -- Angel/Wesley
- darker_wesley -- dark fiction and art
- lighter_wesley -- light or humorous fiction and art
- lilahwes -- Wesley/Lilah
- spikenwes -- Spike/Wesley
- watcherlove -- Giles/Wesley
- watching_daily -- Wesley newsletter, on hiatus since 2007
- weda -- Dawn/Wesley
- wescon -- Wesley/Connor
- wes_faith -- Faith/Wesley
- wesfred -- Fred/Wesley
- wfsurvivors -- Fred/Wesley
- wuffy_love -- Buffy/Wesley
Yahoo Groups, Other Mailing Lists
- Idol Reflection: How to Win my Love in Six Acts (accessed 20 April 2012)
- Ship Manifesto: Shoulder to Shoulder, An Introduction to Wesley/Gunn (accessed 20 April 2012)
- Angel's Repressed, and Wes Has a Bucket (accessed 22 April 2012