|Creator:||Rockne S. O'Bannon|
|Country of Origin:||United States/Australia|
|External Links:||IMDb, Official Henson Farscape site, Official SciFi Farscape site|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Farscape was a space opera show in which anything could and did happen during its four seasons and post-cancellation wrap-up miniseries. Although based on a seemingly familiar premise -- boy gets lost, tries to get home -- Farscape took that premise and ran with it all over various genres, tropes, and levels of crackiness.
The show offered an epic romance between lost Earth astronaut John Crichton and exiled former Peacekeeper soldier Aeryn Sun, sibling-like bonding between various characters, lifelike animatronic characters with well-fleshed out personalities, a vast number of pop-culture references, and canonically played with such tropes as time travel (and losing virginity during), heists and capers, encounters with clones, alternate realities, ascended ancients, characters turning into cartoon versions of themselves, bodyswapping, the primary POV character talking to an imaginary friend for entire seasons, drug addiction, mpreg, and more.
One trope Farscape is notable for (mostly) avoiding is the reset button, especially the 42-Minute Reset. Events from previous episodes are referenced again later in the season or several seasons on, dead characters rarely come back to life (and if so, only with effort, soul-searching, and a price to be paid), and all of the main characters -- even the animatronic ones -- grow and change, permanently, over the course of the show.
- "This show may be just about the hardest show in fandom to pimp. On first watch it's a little too loud, a little too garish, and a little too weird. You dismiss it as "Muppets in Space," and pass on by. So did I. But I was missing out on something huge and gorgeous and epic and true. And so are you. Which brings us to ... Ten reasons to watch one of the greatest scifi shows ever made"
I was enticed into Farscape-watching with the promise of big plot arcs, excellent continuity, and complex storytelling; as of the first few eps, the show isn't yet delivering in those areas. I don't expect epic storytelling yet — epics, pretty much by definition, require a lot of time in the telling — but the contrast to Firefly, which did introduce elements right away that could clearly lead to big arcs, is instructive. Farscape's characters are certainly interesting, but they don't yet have much depth or even much history (even the fact that they're recent prisoners, which is theoretically very interesting, doesn't yet have much urgency to it, particularly in the cases of Zhaan and Rygel). This is also true of S1 BtVS, of course; but early BtVS eps are much more tightly structured: multi-layered stories linked by a central metaphor. 
- John Crichton/Aeryn Sun
- John Crichton/Scorpius
- Meeklo Braca/Scorpius
- Chiana/ John Crichton
Forums/Mailing Lists/LJ Communities
- Be So Glad  by Sisabet. John and Stark.
- Wild Horses  by Dualbunny, John/Aeryn pairing vid.
- Ecstatic Drum Trip  by Luminosity (streaming at Critical Commons)
- Mixed Nuts by Laura Shapiro, post-series show tribute.
- Hurricane by Laura Shapiro, femslash (BSG crossover).
- In the Company of Ghosts by KodiakkeMax. Multipart novel-length John/Aeryn story in which it isn't Aeryn who ends up on Moya with John.
- Weight of the World by Analise. John/Aeryn story set on an Earth devastated and occupied by Peacekeepers.
- Unrealized Peacekeeper by OneEyetheDRD. AU where John Crichton becomes a Peacekeeper captain
- Chiana Fanfic Stories (Chianacentric fic archive)
- Dreams Not Denied (Home of Farscape on the WWOMB)
- Farscape Adult Het/Slash Fiction (listed by author)
- Farscape Fanfic Archive (indexed by author, characters, pairings and genres)
- Farscape Fanfiction (wide range of genres and ratings)
- Farscape Music Video Archive (link) cataloged over 1400 Farscape vids by 2009.
- Farscape Slash Archive
- Leviathan: The Farscape Fan Fiction Automated Archive
- Redbeard's Farscape Fan-Fiction Archive - gen and het Farscape fanfiction
- ScapeRoute's Unrealized Realities
- SmutScape - mostly slash, almost all rated NC-17
- deviantART Farscape Club - Fanart
- Farscape Encyclopedia Project wiki (canon resource)
- Discover Farscape (canon resource)
- What is Farscape? (canon resource)
- Farscape episode transcripts, season 1 & 2, some of season 3 & 4 (canon resource)
- Farscape article at Wikipedia (canon resource)
- Farscape fandom overview at Crack Van, September 2003 (fandom resource)
- Essays on the Farscape characters Stark and Aeryn at Idol Reflections (fandom resource)
- Farscapeworld (fansite; features fic archive)
- “Crackers Matter!:” Online Fan Activism in the “Save Farscape” Campaign, an Academic Paper presented at the PCA/ACA conference in San Antonio, TX 2004
- fannish musings; WebCite by lanchid (March 2, 2003)
- Weird, amazing, psychotic life. In technicolor.: Farscape and Henson’s Lasting Legacy, by Emily Asher-Perrin at Tor.com (November 18, 2011)
- John Crichton/Aeryn Sun: Formulaic Love? Not in My Frelling 'Ship!; archive link, Shipper's Manifesto by spikespeigel (September 2004)
- Stark/Zhaan: Mitigating the Twisted Cores of Their Existences; archive link, Shipper's Manifesto by astrogirl2 (September 2004)
- "Inclusion and Honesty": Scorpius/Sikozu; archive link, Shipper's Manifesto by labingi (January 2005)