|Pairing:||Benton Fraser/Ray Kowalski|
|Alternative name(s):||Fraser/RayK, F/K|
|Prevalence:||perhaps the most popular slash pairing|
Red Ships and Green Ships
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
F/K emerged very rapidly in 1997, with the broadcast of the third-season premiere episode, "Burning Down The House", since Due South was already an established fandom.
Once the Ray Wars broke out, which is to say, almost immediately, F/K fen retreated to a number of pairing specific mailing lists. Not until after the fandom had begun to move to LJ did the ice begin to thaw, and communities began to be formed that allowed both RayV and RayK fic, as well as het and V/K and F/V/K. However, because the move to LJ came about when F/K was much more popular than F/V, there was a resentment about the domination of the pairing even in these open communities. Much of the due South fanfic on LJ was F/K centric, at least until the rise of V/K and threesome fic changed that balance somewhat.
F/K Mailing Lists
- Near Wild Heaven by AuKestrel, a three part series of stories over a megabyte in size. 
- The Layers Series by Bone
- True North by Crysothemis
- Chicago's Most Wanted by Speranza
- How Ray Got His Groove Back by Aristide and Bone
- Executor - Kat Allison
- All the Comforts of Home by Denise Raymond
- Your boots in the middle of the floor by Deputychairman
Episodes with a high concentration of subtext (or just Ray being awesome) inspired much fanfiction.
- Burning Down the House, in which Ray wants to be partners with Fraser:
- Asylum, in which Ray must trust Fraser:
- Ladies Man, in which Ray solves an old crime:
- Mountie on the Bounty, in which the infamous buddy breathing scene is mere icing on the cake of slashy goodness:
The Quest/COTW and Post-Quest Stories
The last episode of the show has Fraser and RayK going off together on a quest to find the Hand of Franklin. Many writers have written the story of what happens on that quest. Notable quest stories include:
A number of stories start with RayK returning from the Quest, either unable to admit his feelings, or having consummated their relationship, RayK couldn't take the North, and Fraser wouldn't come south again.
- Third (time is the charm, or so someone told Ray once) by Lalejandra -- RayK runs back south, but finally makes it back up north again.
Fraser and RayK seem about a thousand times more likely in fanfiction to end up living in a remote part of Canada than Fraser and Ray V; in Ray V stories, the pair are as likely to end up staying in Chicago. (This was part of the impetus for the Canadian Shack fanfiction challenge: the idea that it would be fun to put other characters into this situation so familiar to F/K fans of Due South.)
AUs or Alternate Realities
In the epic novel Hawks and Hands by Dira Sudis, Fraser and Ray are hockey players; in Academic Punk by The Hoyden, Fraser and Ray are English professors; in The Chicago 1947 AU, the characters are in a hardboiled detective story; in Genesis by Kalena, Fraser is a geologist, and he meets Ray in Hawaii; in Pas de Deux by Sihaya Black, Ray is a dance instructor; in Somewhere Else to Be by Kellie Matthews, Ray is a mechanic, and Fraser is an archeologist; in They Eat Pizza, Don't They? also known as "The Pizza AU" by Brooklinegirl, Ray K owns a pizzeria. Real Boys by Salieri is a cyberpunk AU in which Fraser is an android.
In the second season episode "Some like it Red", Fraser goes undercover as a woman at a Catholic school. Although "Some like it Red" was a RayV episode, Ray K writers have embraced the premise of a cross-dressing Fraser--or Ray--with a vengeance. Stories include Double Vision/Single Truth by Crysothemis, A Dare's a Dare by Speranza, Lipstick Vogue by Brooklinegirl, and Woman Like a Man by Lalejandra.
- Family Portrait by Journey
- With Six You Get Eggroll by Speranza
- East O the Sun, West O the Moon and sequels by Hth
- How Many Ways aka the Carrieverse by Pearl-o
- Playing Wolf by Kellie Matthews
Other reccurring themes in F/K stories
- Stories that spend a lot of time on Stella, and compare and contrast RayK's overwhelming love for Stella with his love for Fraser
- Wonder of Birds by Laura Shapiro and Morgan Dawn
- Can't Stop This by Voiceless009
- Pavlov's Bell by Butterfly
- Serge Protector (2000), an F/K zine by Sacred Stetson Press, features art by Crysothemis, Kellie Matthews, Sandy Steiner, and Diane Taurins.
- Duet (2002), edited by Stormy and Val of Duet Press, is a two-volume F/K zine featuring art by by Eugenie Chua and Killa.
- And They Lived Happily Ever After; archive link with expanded comments, page 1; archive link with expanded comments, page 2 by estrella30 (Ship Manifesto)