Panic! at the Disco
|Name(s):||Panic! at the Disco, P!atd, Panic!
previously Panic at the Disco, Patd, Panic
|Scope/Focus:||Core band in Bandom|
|See also:||My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Panic! at the Disco is a rock band formed in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2004. Panic! was the first band signed to Pete Wentz's label Decaydance. The lineup has changed considerably over the years, with Brendon Urie as the only founding member remaining. See Wikipedia for more details.
Panic! is one of the core Bandom bands and there is a lot of fanfiction written about it.
- Brendon Urie – lead vocals, guitar, bass, piano, keyboards (2004–present)
- Brent Wilson – bass (2004–2006)
- Ryan Ross – lead guitar, vocals, keyboards (2004–2009)
- Jon Walker – bass, guitar, backing vocals, keyboards (2006–2009)
- Spencer Smith – drums, percussion (2004–2015)
- Eric Ronick – keyboards, backing vocals (2006–2008)
- Bartram Nason – cello, keyboard, electric drums (2006)
- Ian Crawford – lead guitar, backing vocals (2009-2012)
- Dallon Weekes - Bass, backing vocals (2009-present)
- Kenneth Harris – lead guitar, backing vocals (2013–present)
- Dan Pawlovich – drums, percussion (2013–present)
The band members have been paired up in every conceivable way, including GSF. However, Brendon/Ryan has probably been the most common pairing, especially in the early days of the band. Brendon/Spencer is also a popular pairing (seeming to foreshadow the departure of Ryan Ross and Jon Walker from the band in 2009), and became more popular after the split.
As well as the two popular 'Ryden' and 'Brencer' pairings, Brendon is also shipped with bassist Dallon Weekes. Brendon/Dallon is usually refered to as 'Brallon' in fanworks.
Themes and Tropes
- High School AUs are quite popular, probably due to the band being very young when they started, and to the known facts about Ryan and Spencer going to school together. There are also several college AUs.
- Coffee shop AUs are common, in which Jon works as a barista at Starbucks and Brendon at Smoothie Hut, since both of them actually held those jobs in the past.
- Cabin fic refers to stories set during the time the band went and locked themselves away in a cabin in the woods to (try to) write an album. These stories often involve a lot of drug use.
- Quite often real pets are mentioned in fic - it seems to be a lot more common in bandom than in some other fandoms, possibly because so many of them talk about how awesome their dogs are in interviews and on Twitter.
- Divorce fic deals with the aftermath of the split between Brendon&Spencer and Jon&Ryan, either as fix-it fic in which they reconcile, or as a subject of angst.
- The history of the band has been recorded perhaps best in wearemany's Give me more. Though highly fictionalized, the story uses a significant amount of research and actual history. (Brendon/Ryan, 2007)
- Sunsetmog - e.g. If Music be the food of love (High school AU), Here at the right time, Thereafter you have it (kidfic), You can sit beside me (High school AU)
- LittleMousling (AO3)
- The Milk Fic is known for being probably the most messed up of the many fanfics on the internet. Read at your own risk.
- Panic! at the Disco Updated Primer & Picspam, part 1 by Roga on dreamwidth (2010-11-08)
- Panic! Primer by Flimsy on livejournal (2007-07-24)
- Panic fanworks at the Archive of Our Own
- Panic podfics at the Audiofic Archive
- See, for example, rossetti's Existing Unknowing. 27 January 2008. (Accessed 1 February 2011.) For an AU example, see queensheep's Golden Apples. 23 September 2008. (Accessed 2 April 2012.) For more examples, see stepps's Masterlist: Panic Group Sex Fic. Last updated: 16 August 2010. (Accessed 2 April 2012.)
- See, for example, wearemany's The Mirror Stage. 18 May 2008. (Accessed 1 February 2011.)