|Also Known As:||Bden|
|Occupation:||Musician (Frontman, lead vocalist, guitarist and keyboardist of Panic! at the Disco), internet celebrity|
|Works:||Panic at the Disco discography|
|Official Website(s):|| Official PatD site|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
Brendon Urie is best known as the lead singer of core Bandom band Panic! at the Disco, active 2005-present. As of 2015, Urie is the only remaining founding member of Panic!, which is now Urie's solo project.
Urie is the subject of a significant amount of fanfiction, especially Ryden. He currently occupies a controversial position in fandom, due to recent (2020) allegations of sexual harassment and assault of underage fans, and other offensive and sexually inappropriate behaviour.
Urie was born in 1987, and was raised Mormon. He married Sarah Urie (nee Orzechowski) in 2013. Urie came out as pansexual in 2018.
Online presence, controversy, and relationship to fandom
Urie was viewed by some as a LGBT+ icon/activist, and a proponent of inclusion and kindness. Others were critical of his supposed LGBT+ icon status. Urie "became an LGBTQ inspiration without ever openly identifying as queer" and his coming out was seen by some as insincere and offensive. In the interview where he came out, Urie discussed calling himself "barsexual." He stated that "stage gay" actions "made a few people uncomfortable" which made him "want to do it more" - seemingly including former bandmate Ryan Ross, who "would be so mad" when Urie kissed him , but that stage gay continued throughout the tour. The joke that Urie "came out as pansexual at the same time as he came out as racist" began circulating in bandom circles after that interview, due to other remarks Urie made. Other anti-fans and former fans point towards Urie's history of "fetishizing bisexuality,""slamming homosexuality" and "racist, sexist, and ableist actions, in addition to other times in which he touched someone without their consent"  in response to Urie's purported activism and icon status.
Urie frequently used social media, including Vine, Periscope, Instagram Live, Twitch streams (2019, promoted via Twitter), and Twitter (2018 and prior), to interact with fans. Despite calls for Urie to "speak up" about sexual harassment allegations against his longtime colleague Zack Cloud Hall and himself , Urie has been quite silent since.
- Ryden (Ryan Ross/Brendon Urie): 2289 uses
- Brendon/Spencer: 1039 uses
- Brendon Urie/Dallon Weekes: 477 uses
- Brendon/Sarah: 196 uses (often as a side pairing)
- Brendon/Jon Walker: 160 uses
- Panic 2.0 GSF (Brendon/Spencer/Jon/Ryan): 127 uses
As of 13 June 2019, there were 9380 works tagged 'Brendon Urie' on AO3. Most popular ship tags:
- Ryden (Ryan Ross/Brendon Urie): 5423 uses
- Brendon/Spencer: 3948 uses
- Brendon/Jon Walker: 2116 uses
- Brendon Urie/Dallon Weekes: 2105 uses
- Panic 2.0 GSF (Brendon/Spencer/Jon/Ryan): 1898 uses
- Brendon/Josh Dun: 1889 uses
- Brendon/Tyler Joseph: 1860 uses
- Brendon/Sarah: 652 uses (often as a side pairing)
Fanon Themes and Tropes
- High school AUs, often focusing on the time Brendon was reportedly "kicked out" by his parents,
- Related: h/c in general, whether bullying or injury,
- Religious themes due to his relationship to the Mormon faith,
- Urie is often depicted as being energetic/hyperactive, especially due to his canonical ADHD
- Angst/conflict related to his parents disowning him, either for being gay or renouncing his faith, after an offhand comment Urie made about his parents 'kicking him out' when he decided he wanted to do music instead of going to college, from an interview in 2007. He later clarified that he was exaggerating.
During Panic's (2013?) break, Urie became famous on social video site Vine, leading to many astonished tweets about "Brendon from Vine" forming a band when the band released a new single in 2013. The phrase has become an in-joke for the fandom.
Urie's forehead is supposedly extra large and has become a meme. It is not clear when this meme arose, though the "brendon urie's forehead" tumblr tag dates to April 9, 2015.
- happy belated birthday to our lord and saviour Breadbin Urie, Archived version animated fanart by noodlenavi (April 12, 2018)
- enjoy your stay, Archived version, fancomic about bandom referencing "a forehead cult" by caffeine-phoenix (December 18, 2017)
- reposted image by @spooky.jim.stump, Archived version also references the running jokes about short bandom band members. (10 March 2017)
- In Case the Scene Gets Nasty (Brendon/Ryan) by softlyforgotten and zarah5, an epic HS AU featuring kicked-out!Urie.
- Tell Me to Stop (Brendon/Spencer) by airgiodSLV and [two podfics] by klb and crazybutsound respectively.
- Rugby Verse (Brendon/Spencer) by sunsetmog, a high school AU + two podfics: by jenepod and another by knight_tracer.
- A Song to Bring You Home (Brendon/Jon) by halflinen, an amnesia AU.
- God only knows aka the "Boywives verse" (Panic GSF) by just-katarin, a Big Love AU.
- Brendon Urie works on AO3
- Panic primer by cyclogenesis (Aug 22, 2006)
- Ryan/Brendon manifesto by lexicon on bandom-ships (July 16, 2008)
- Brendon/Shane primer by disarm-d (Sept 24, 2008)
- Brendon Urie AO3 tag. As of Sept 17, 2014, there were 2864 AO3 Brendon fanworks.
- Bendon Urie, Vine profile, 27+ million loops and 765k followers as of Sept 17, 2014.
- See "Brendon from vine" Tumblr tag.