You may be looking for the multifandom challenge 101 Ways To End Up In A Canadian Shack.
|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Cabin!fic, cabin era, "The Porno Cabin"|
|Related:||Panic! at the Disco|
|See Also:||Paramour fic in MCR fandom; 101 Ways To End Up In A Canadian Shack|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Cabin fic is a trope in Panic! at the Disco fanfic. It refers to stories set during the time in early 2007 when Ryan Ross, Brendon Urie, Spencer Smith and Jon Walker locked themselves up in a massive Nevada cabin with a bunch of instruments (and a lot of weed) to write a (doomed) album, the legendary "wolf musical."
Stories and images filmed at the cabin by Shane Valdes appear on the deluxe edition DVD for Pretty. Odd. (PATD's second album, released in 2008). The cabin itself is referenced in a Pretty. Odd. song title: "From a mountain in the middle of the cabins." Some of the material created in the cabin was used in the 2011 album Vices and Virtues, after Ryan and Jon had left the band.
Fans started writing fic set in the cabin as soon as it was announced they were in it.
The Cabin became a place for fan writers to project all sorts of fantasies, supported by canon stories of breakdowns (such as Ryan Ross attempting to burn his electric guitar "alive" because the era of the electric guitar was over. Apparently.)
The Cabin thus provided a perfect, secluded, closed-circuit pressure-cooker of a setting for characters to experiment with all kinds of things and experience extreme emotions.
At the end of 2006, they start working on a new album, and they decide to go up to a cabin in the mountains to work on it. Fandom has nicknamed this "The Porno Cabin".
Even when fic is not set in the Cabin, it is often referenced in fic, for example:
“I totally had a beard, dude, remember at the—” He cuts himself off before saying porno-cabin - even though Ryan’s the only one who usually gets pissy about that, because Ryan thinks it cheapens the experience, even though all they did there was smoke pot and watch lots and lots of porn, seriously – and then he spots Spencer’s smirk. “Oh, funny, asshole.”
- Need You Wild by fallintosilence and boweryd: Spencer is a newly-turned werewolf. (19 June 2010)
- Spencer story #1 by fictionalaspect: Cabin-era Spencer turns into a fairy. With a beard.
- What you didn't know you wanted all along by airgiodSLV: GSF where Ryan goes in heat while at the cabin. (3 August 2007)
- All In by fictionalaspect, kinky GSF story, two podfics by greedy_dancer and by dapatty.
- Panic! At The Disco move into cabin to begin work on new LP - News - Alternative Press, Archived version, published March 08 2007.
- NME, Panic! At The Disco scrap new album, published Oct 5, 2007
- For example: ...in the cabin, IN MY PANTS, Archived version by gigantic, posted to livejournal 2007-03-06.
- theyreonlywords, If you're going then go (primer), posted April 6, 2009
- skoosiepants, Don't Say I Didn't Warn You, posted to AO3 July 16, 2008