Daisy Johnson/Daniel Sousa
|Pairing:||Daisy Johnson/Daniel Sousa|
|Alternative name(s):||Dousy, Sousy, Daisysous, Daisysousa, TimeQuake, Quakersquare|
|Fandom:||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Marvel Cinematic Universe)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Daisy Johnson/Daniel Sousa is a romantic pairing in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Their canon relationship was introduced and developed during the seventh and final season of the show while the team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents traveled through time.
In the seventh season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Daniel Sousa is introduced to the team when their time traveling ship lands in Nevada in 1955. In a mission on Area 51, Daisy has to help extract Simmons and Coulson from the base after their covers are blown by Daniel Sousa, who is S.H.I.E.L.D.’s West Coast Security Chief. She confronts him in his office and, under a false identity, convinces him to lead her to her teammates to rescue them. After they reunite, they trick Sousa and leave him behind trapped in a cell.
The team finishes their mission but Coulson is captured and is held captive by Sousa. When he realizes that it is currently the day Sousa dies according to the history books, he and the rest of the team help him finish his mission and save his life. But to preserve the timeline, they have to fake his death and he agrees to stay with the team.
They jump forward in time again, to the 70s, and Daisy stars to bond with Sousa. They get period appropriate clothing together and he pretends to be her fiancé during a mission, interrupting Gideon Malick’s unwanted advances towards her. During another mission they are kidnapped together and after comforting Daisy, Sousa gets them out into the safety of their ship, where he stays by her side while she recovers.
He continues to support and care for her and after he confesses that he would like to be by her side, Daisy kisses him; however, they’re in a time loop, so she’s the only one who remembers that their first kiss happened. They continue to be friendly, teasing and helping each other out, and before Daisy leaves to carry out a very dangerous plan, Daniel kisses her and they restate their mutual affection.
One year later they’re still together, enjoying each other’s company and exploring outer space.
History of the Fandom
Interest in this relationship began to raise after their first interaction in the third episode of the seventh season of the show. A majority of people seemed excited for the crossover with Agent Carter and a lot of reactions were along the lines of “they’re the duo I didn’t know I needed”, while most simply enjoyed seeing a cool team-up between the two, some were already feeling their chemistry and the potential of a new ship.
On the other hand, others were displeased with how quickly some people took an interest on the pair, saying that their interaction in the episode was too short to start shipping them. Some fans showed a reluctance or outright disgust towards the ship because of their generational difference or their supposed age difference, saying things like: “he’s old enough to be her father/grandfather” and citing the actors’ ages; though, shippers quickly researched this and replied with the proper ages of the characters.
Other reasons why some people were against the ship were that they saw them as a platonic friends, thought that putting them together was lazy writing to get them together rather quickly and pair everyone up before the finale, wanted Daisy to end the show single, or they simply preferred other ship like for example Deke/Daisy, Staticquake, Peggysous or Bioquake.
The general reaction seemed to change rather quickly week by week and it’s probable that the use of romantic tropes such as: they’re kidnapped and tortured together so they have to comfort each other, they pretend to be a couple, Daisy gets stuck on a time loop and Sousa is always there for her
Additionally, shippers liked that they both teased each other and balanced each other out. Some fans said that Daisy was visibly happier in their scenes together. By the time the last episode aired, earlier disagreements seemed almost forgotten, and most people appeared to be glad that Daisy got a happy ending.
Multiple Ship Names
At the beginning there were multiple ship names used at the same time and although it was confusing, fans were adamant that their preferred one was the better option. When a video was posted by the official accounts, it confirmed dousy as the ship name given by the actors.
- First [fic] and fanvid posted on June 25th 2020
- Reached 100 fics on AO3 on July 24th, 200 fics on August 3rd and 300 fics on August 16th.
- Made it to number 14 on Tumblr’s weekly ship list for the week ending on August 17th, 2020
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Missing scenes and episode tags: Often hurt/comfort or fluff pieces in between scenes in the episodes.
- Left behind: Daisy and Sousa are accidentally left behind in time after the Zephyr One jumps without them onboard. This fics deal with their developing relationship while they’re stranded together with no knowledge of when they’re going to be rescued.
- Post Season 7/Post-canon: Speculative works written while Season 7 was airing (often canon divergent) or continuing the story where canon left off.
- Domestic/Pregnancy/HEA: Post season 7 the couple are in a steady relationship and often times Daisy gets pregnant.
- Families of Choice: A lot of fics feature the main Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D agents as a found family.
- all we do is drive. by romantasha. ‘’In which Daisy Johnson helps Daniel Sousa explore the modern world by taking him on a cross-country road trip in a van.” Post-Finale Road_Trip_(trope) road trip AU with MCU tie-ins.
- “We are going home, Agent Johnson, you hear me? We’re going home.” by eclecticmuses. Sousa carries Daisy
- Selfie 😌✨ by blessyo4. Daisy taking a selfie with Sousa.
- “I need you to do something for me” “Of course, what do you need?” by direct0rquake. Charcoal drawing
- -Daisy. -Yeah? -*kiss her* Didn't know i was gonna do that. -I'm glad you did. by _kisla2011_
- Daisy Johnson & Daniel Sousa | Counting Paths by SunnyVids
- Daisy & Daniel | Lonely Eyes [+7x08] by ckiana edits
- daisy + daniel [that was nice] by Nastya Steweart
- Fitz & Simmons + Daniel & Daisy || home by Carlie Dream
- love is harder than it used to be | daisy & daniel [+7x10] by Captain Bucky
- look how they shine for you | daisy x daniel [+7x11] by Captain Bucky
- Daisy + Daniel | someone to stay (+Ward) by Carlie Dream
- Daisy & Daniel || Falling apart by TheOverratedDarkness
- Daisy & Daniel - "I'm right where I need to be" by belle333black
- This is what I’m gonna say on this and then I’m done talking about it… by theravennest. Meta about the difference between a WOC and a white woman protagonist, how they have different narrative experiences and why Daisy would be attracted to Sousa
- so after saying i wasn’t going to watch this season until it ended so i could find out if daisy and sousa actually ended up together by eggsaladstain
- I will admit: at first I was a little… by hecckyea. Thoughts about Daisy and Daniel’s relationship after the finale.