|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Time Loop, Groundhog Day AU|
|Related:||Fix-it, Dream Within a Dream|
|See Also:||Time Travel, Time Turner|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Groundhog Day is a fanfic and canon trope where a character (usually only one character) is caught in a time loop, doomed to repeat a period of time (often exactly one day) over and over, until something is corrected. The trope is named for the film Groundhog Day, which established the trope in popular culture.
It's a fairly rare fanfic trope, but if done it's usually for a light/fluffy kind of work inspired by the film, or it's often done as a fix-it for a certain episode or scene in a series where fans prefer ignore or fix whatever happened.
- Once Upon a Time, Storybrooke worked this way before Emma Swan arrived. Every day everyone did the exact same thing, with no one except Regina noticing.
- Supernatural episode "Mystery Spot", Sam Winchester replays the Tuesday Dean dies over and over.
- The X-Files episode "Monday", Mulder and Scully keep trying to foil a bank robbery, but the robber has explosives strapped to his body and always ends up killing them all. The only person who can see the loop is the robber's girlfriend.
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Star Trek
- What A Difference A Day Makes by goodboots, Gen, The Avengers pull a Groundhog Day.
- 10, 9, 8, car by pollyrepeat, Clint/Coulson, Clint was pretty sure he'd seen this movie. Like a lot of things since he'd joined the Avengers, it had been a lot funnier when it wasn't his life. (podfic by aphelant)
- Getting the Hang of Thursdays by Hayseed, Snape/Hermione, A good day goes bad and then gets far worse than Severus could ever have imagined. Again and again and again. Inspired by the WIKTT Time-Loop Challenge.
- Ho'oponopono by ember_firedrake, Steve/Danny, Danny finds himself trapped in the same day over and over again.
- Many Paths by flakedice Bilbo/Thorin - Bilbo wakes up in Dale. With the memory of a battle won but lives lost, he finds an army of Men and Elves readying to attack Erebor. Bilbo tries to save his dwarves. Again and again.
- Round and Round Again by Antarctica_or_bust (various pairings) - Ori is cursed to relive their journey until the company succeeds; it takes a very long time.
- The World Spins Madly On by thedisgruntledone (Bilbo & Thorin) Caught in a cycle that centers on just a few months - those spent traveling with the Company of Thorin Oakenshield, Bilbo has to figure out how to stop time from resetting, and maybe, if he's very, very lucky, manage to change a few things for the better along the way.
- Quickening Days by Fahye, Merlin/Arthur, In which dragons & ghosts & prejudices are confronted, Merlin wears a hat (twice) and a dress (once), Arthur breaks some crockery (lots), there are more pranks than pillowfights but at least one of each, and many secrets are revealed.
- Hourglass by Giandujakiss, a vid that mainly features SPN, SG1, Xena, Day Break, and many others that dealt with the trope.
- A general Meme on Tumblr generally appears on Tuesdays in light of the fact that it's the day Sam repeated hundreds of times. See the side gif for an example, for a few other examples, look here.
- Rocky Horror Pancake Show by ChuckleVoodoos: Set in an Alternate Universe in which everyone gets a "glitch" once in their lives which allows them to repeat a certain day up to five times in order to make it better, and then continue to live in one of the realities. Foggy gets his glitch on the day of the Hell's Kitchen bombings, and sets out to save the city.
- When The Day Met The Night by goldstandard: This is your typical, average, Groundhog Day AU where Foggy has to re-live the day he discovers who the Devil of Hell's Kitchen really is.