|Alternative name(s):||Valvert, J/JVJ|
|Gender category:||M/M, slash|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Javert/Jean Valjean, commonly known as Valvert, is a common slash pairing in the Les Misérables fandom.
Jean Valjean is the main protagonist, while Javert is the main antagonist in Les Misérables. They first encounter each other while Valjean is imprisoned at the Bagne of Toulon, where Javert is working as a guard. This leads him to recognize Valjean after he breaks parole when he is working as an Inspector under Valjean, who has become a Mayor under a false name in the town of Montreuil-sur-Mer. Valjean is later forced to flee Montreuil-sur-Mer as a consequence of this. They encounter each other again in Paris during the June Rebellion of 1832. Javert has been captured by revolutionaries at the barricades, where Valjean has snuck in to rescue his adoptive daughter, Cosette's love, Marius Pontmercy. Valjean asks permission from the leader of the revolutionaries, Enjolras, to execute Javert. Valjean then takes Javert to an alleyway, where, much to Javert's surprise, Valjean releases him. This causes a moral crisis in Javert's mind. He is unable to arrest Valjean, as his duty requires. Unable to satisfactorily solve this dilemma, he commits suicide.
While Javert is the antagonist of Les Misérables, he is not considered evil because he is ultimately dedicated to the ideals of justice, so much so that he throws himself off a bridge into the River Seine when he thinks he has betrayed them. This has led to many fans speculating that Javert could be redeemed if he had not committed suicide, and that Valjean can assist him in this. Another popular era for fandom due to elements of identity porn is Montreuil-sur-Mer era, as Valjean knows Javert's identity while Javert does not know for sure his.
- Modern AU
- Toulon AU or "Sexy Toulon"- fics set in the Bagne of Toulon, commonly featuring hatesex, dubcon or noncon.
- Canon Divergence AU
- Punish Me, Monsieur le Maire- fics have become a trope of their own for the Valjean/Javert pairing. . They are centered on the scene in which Inspector Javert asks for Jean Valjean, in his guise as Mayor Madeleine, to punish him for the infraction of reporting "Madeleine" to the authorities. Because another man has been arrested and is believed to be Valjean, Javert feels he has done a gross infraction. They often contain a combination of dubious consent, identity porn and informal BDSM. The sub-genre is clearcut enough that it has spawned at least one parody fic.
- Post-Seine. A type of fixit fic, where a character (usually Valjean) prevents Javert's suicide, and they then often end up in a relationship together. Often contains hurt/comfort and sickfic.
- a not serious head canon by hatarlakrits
- I feel like a part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything by mistysblueboxstuff
- it’s been a while hasn’t it by hatarlakrits
- modern au with DCI Javert and hot carpenter excon Valjean by hatarlakrits
- Night Terrors by kaleran
- thinkin about my original complicated french dads by acedrawin
- valvert by aftondoft
- and see before the night descends by plumedy, a post-Seine fic based off the 1998 movie canon
- A Reflection of Starlight by AutumnGracy (Brick-based), a slow burn, WIP, canon divergence, post-Seine longfic where Valjean saves Javert from suicide.
- Her Favorite Color by Pygmy Puff (ppuff), a canon divergence AU where Valjean agrees to stay in prison if Javert takes care of Cosette. Angsty with MCD and only slash if you squint.
- Life After the Seine by Esteliel, a post-Seine adventure.
- Our Manager Must Learn by TheLifeOfEmm, an angsty Phantom of the Opera crossover. Content warning for torture.
- The Man You Take Me For by scioscribe, a mostly gen angsty what-if based on the idea of what would happen if Valjean had not given himself up to save Champmathieu.
- The Resignation of Inspector Javert by Wraithwitch (Brick-based). A post-Seine scenario, where Valjean saves Javert. The fic successfully pastiches Victor Hugo's narrative style. Only slash if you squint.
- Toil Until the Old Colours Fade by drcalvin, a Javert-focused Groundhog Day AU.
- Two Ships Passing by Carmarthen, a 5+1 Things AU. 5 universes where Valjean and Javert never meet, and the one where they do.
- Three Days (or The One Where Javert and Valjean Take a Road Trip Through France and Raise a Child) by zamwessel (2012 movie-based). Three Days uses a What if? scenario where Javert choses to follow Valjean to Montfermeil and they end up rescuing Cosette from her abusive situation.
- A question for Valjean/Javert shippers
- Valvert and Fox and the Hound
- Does Valjean recognises Javert in Montreuil?
- Valjean's reaction to Javert's suicide
- Daybreak -- Entry for Valvert Exchange #2 by vejiicakes