Daredevil (TV series)
Based upon: Daredevil by Stan Lee and Bill Everett
|Date(s):||April 10, 2015|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Daredevil is a Netflix television series set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe starring Charlie Cox as the titular character, Daredevil aka Matt Murdock.
The first season premiered April 10, 2015. It was followed by its second season on March 18, 2016 before veering into the larger project The Defenders on August 18, 2017. Its third and final season premiered October 19, 2018. Despite its critical acclaim and despite anticipation of renewal from cast, crew, and fans, Daredevil was cancelled on November 29, 2018.
Per Netflix's original deal with Disney, no future adaptations of the character could be introduced for two years after cancellation. Following this deadline in 2021, Charlie Cox was seen briefly reviving the character of Matt Murdock as Peter Parker's lawyer in Spider-Man: No Way Home. Vincent D'Onofrio was similarly brought back to play Wilson Fisk as the final villain in the Hawkeye (MCU TV series).
In May 2022, it was confirmed that the series would receive a reboot on Disney+. During the 2022 San Diego Comic Con, it was announced that the new eighteen-episode television series will be called Daredevil: Born Again and will once again star Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk. As of July 2022, it is unclear how many more of the original cast members will return or how much, if any, of the Netflix canon will continue on in the work.
Lawyer-by-day Matt Murdock uses his heightened senses from being blinded as a young boy to fight crime at night on the streets of New York City's Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood as Daredevil.
- Characters introduced in Season 1
- Matt Murdock/Daredevil, a blind lawyer who has heightened senses.
- Foggy Nelson, Matt's close friend and law partner.
- Karen Page, a quest for justice sends her crashing into Matt's life; becomes Nelson & Murdock's secretary.
- Wilson Fisk, a powerful businessman whose interests in the future of Hell's Kitchen.
- Vanessa Marianna, an art gallery employee and Fisk's love interest.
- James Wesley, Fisk's right hand man.
- Ben Urich, a investigative journalist for the New York Bulletin.
- Claire Temple, a night nurse that helps Matt with various injuries.
- Brett Mahoney, a police officer that knows Matt & Foggy.
- Marci Stahl, a lawyer and ex-girlfriend of Foggy.
- Father Paul Lantom, a priest of Clinton Church with whom Matt seeks frequent spiritual and moral advice.
- Characters introduced in Season 2
- Elektra Natchios, Matt's mysterious ex-girlfriend
- Frank Castle, a vigilante known as the Punisher
- Characters introduced in Season 3
- Benjamin "Dex" Poindexter/Bullseye, FBI SWAT Agent with Borderline Personality Disorder manipulated into killing by Fisk.
- Ray Nadeem, FBI Agent who petitions to have Fisk released from prison on house arrest in an agreement to be a criminal informant.
- Sister Maggie, a nun at Clinton Church who gives Matt tough love as he gets back on his feet following the events of The Defenders.
The Netflix television series has also introduced many new fans to the series and boosted fannish activity within the Daredevil fandom community. In the first month after the series' appearance, nearly 850 related works were created or updated on AO3, as well as innumerable dedicated Tumblr blogs.
The series' fandom is mainly focused on slash but het is just as popular, but to see "Shipping" for more information.
Fan Call for Visual Description Audio
When the series first appeared on Netflix, the show wasn't accessible to all fans - the show didn't feature a "visual description" audio that would make it accessible for blind fans. A petition was made for it do be done (Tag: #dare2describe), which was successful five days later with only 3,666 signatures. (Given the time frame required to create descriptive audio for a television show, the work was likely already well underway before the petition surfaced. Netflix chose to roll out the service for Daredevil first, possibly because of the petition or because of the association with a blind leading character.)
Photosets and gifsets are common on Tumblr. Some highlight particular episodes, themes, characters, or relationships within the show. Others draw parallels between the televised and comic-book versions. A number are also dedicated to the show's exceptional use of visual imagery, silhouette, and scenery.
- "Foggy Nelson". Archived from the original on 2018-04-15.
- "Matt and Claire".
- "Comic book parallels". Archived from the original on 2015-06-28.
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Nelson & Murdock: Avocados At Law
- Marvel Cinematic Universe canon characters, especially Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, and various other Avengers.
- Other Marvel titles such as Punisher's Frank Castle and the future Netflix shows that would focus on Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, which each own series would lead to a spin-off team TV series, The Defenders.
- "Dumpster Bros" between Matt Murdock and Clint Barton is fairly popular which started by a headcanon on Tumblr
- In an episode, it was revealed that Matt stayed at St. Agnes orphanage, this connects with AOS character Skye who was there before running away. Many fans took this fact and ran with the possibility of Matt & Skye being there at the same time - even becoming friends.
- Crossover with Arrow is popular on Tumblr especially due to popular ship of Vigilante Lawyers (Matt/Laurel Lance).
Connections with Other Fandoms
As part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the series takes place in the same world as The Avengers Movieverse and their related film and television works, effectively canonizing the potential for a wide range of crossover art and fics. In addition, the series' stars are familiar to fans from other properties - Deborah Ann Woll from True Blood, Elden Henson from The Hunger Games, Charlie Cox from Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey - opening up even more crossover possibilities as well as the potential for fannish drift.
Many fans are multishippers. There are also a great number of gen fanworks focusing on Matt, Matt & Foggy, Matt, Foggy & Karen.
Following, Season 1, the main slash pairing was Matt Murdock/Foggy Nelson; Matt Murdock/Vladimir Ranskahov and James Wesley/Wilson Fisk were also fairly common. Top het pairings were: Matt Murdock/Claire Temple, Matt Murdock/Karen Page, Vanessa Marianna/Wilson Fisk, Foggy Nelson/Karen Page, and Foggy Nelson/Marci Stahl.
With the introduction of the Punisher in Season 2, fans began pairing main characters with The Punisher's alter ego Frank Castle. The het pairing of Frank Castle/Karen Page began in Season 2, and has continued to grow following their interactions in the Punisher (TV series). The gen pairing of these two characters is also popular within the Daredevil (TV) fandom. In Season 2, the slash pairing of Frank Castle/Matt Murdock also became quite popular. In the latter half of the season, the show also delves into Matt's college days and time spent with his old flame, Elektra Natchios, through a series of flashbacks. This season marked the return of Daredevil comics' most popular het pairing: Matt/Elektra.
The threesome of Matt/Karen/Foggy is one of the larger threesome pairings in the fandom.
Crossover ships are mainly: Matt Murdock/Clint Barton, Matt Murdock/Laurel Lance (Arrow), Matt Murdock & Skye, Matt Murdock/Natasha Romanoff, etc.
The vast comic-book history of course offers much more shipping opportunities.
- Matt Murdock/Claire Temple
- Foggy Nelson/Karen Page
- Wilson Fisk/Vanessa Marianna
- Matt Murdock/Karen Page
- Foggy Nelson/Marci Stahl
- Matt Murdock/Elektra Natchios
- Frank Castle/Karen Page
- Matt Murdock/Foggy Nelson
- Frank Castle/Matt Murdock
- Matt Murdock/Vladimir Ranskahov
- James Wesley/Wilson Fisk
- Wilson Fisk/Matt Murdock
- Benjamin "Dex" Poindexter/Ray Nadeem
- Matt Murdock/Natasha Romanoff
- Matt Murdock/Clint Barton
- Matt Murdock & Skye
- Matt Murdock/Laurel Lance (Arrow)
- Avocados At Law is the pairing name for Matt/Foggy.
- Clairedevil is the pairing name for Matt/Claire.
- Karedevil is the pairing name for Matt/Karen.
- Kastle is the pairing name for Karen/Frank.
- Vigilante Lawyers is the pairing name for Matt Murdock/Laurel Lance.
- See List of MCU Relationship Names.
- Paravigilante by turtle_paced, gen Foggy & Matt,
Being besties with a guy who runs around in a mask at night beating up criminals has its issues. Or so Foggy’s coming to realize.
- Soon As The Sun Sets by plinys, gen or pre-relationship Foggy & Matt & Karen,
“The longer you wait, the more it’s going to hurt when she finds out."
- Darkest Before the Dawn by latbfan, Matt & Karen,
The missing scene from Matt's apartment at the end of "Into the Ring" (1.1) after Karen sneaks out and meets up with Daredevil at her apartment.
- Training Buddies by Fyre, Matt & Bucky Barnes,
Sometimes the random guy in the street isn't out to get you.
- of all the fights in all the back alleys in all of new York by ataxophilia, Matt & Clint.
“Huh.” Clint runs a hand through his hair again, stumped – but amused – by this development. “Deaf and blind. This is like something out of a sitcom.”
- Last to Know by whitchry9, POV Brett Mahoney
- No Thinking For A Little While. by kittenstanley, Matt/Karen/Foggy, Mature.
It all starts with a crooked sign and a poorly planned movie night. (Post 1x13)
- Matt Punches a Robot, and Other Stories by Hinn_Raven, Matt/Karen/Foggy, Claire Temple & The Avengers.
In which Matt fights robots, Karen figures it out, Foggy sues Iron Man, and Tony Stark gets punched. (Post 1x13/Age of Ultron & mentions of The Defenders)
- not so daring by theappleppielifestyle, Matt/Foggy
Foggy, you need to calm down, this isn’t a big deal, it was in college, it’s not like you’re still in love with me.”
- Something Dumb to Do by poisonivory. Matt/Foggy, Marriage of Convenience.
If Matt and Foggy get married, Foggy will never be forced to testify against Daredevil. It doesn't mean anything has to change, right?
- Daredevils Don't Drink Decaf by ChuckleVoodoos. Matt/Foggy, Coffee Shop AU
In which Foggy uses his law degree to peddle coffee to unsuspecting caffeine junkies, and Matt is his favorite customer. Who may or may not be Batman.
- When Your Arms Are Too Weary by poisonivory. Matt/Foggy, Wingfic.
“What,” Foggy says. His parents exchange glances. “You’re an angel. Literally,” his mother says.
- The Ultimate Double Dare by vibishan. Frank Castle/Matt Murdock, slow burn, marriage proposal, fix-it.
Frank is living, bleeding proof that some terrible things in the world are not Matt’s fault. It’s like crawling out of the subway, the shocking pressure of tons of earth and stone and steel and scuttling life overhead suddenly giving way to open sky.
- "Avocados at law". Archived from the original on 2020-04-30. by sn0otchie, Foggy & Matt
- New start selfie by Pikku-Piru, Foggy & Matt
- "thoughts on the Daredevil disability representation". Archived from the original on 2022-04-15.
- World On Fire
- "Beautiful Crime Music Video".
- "Hunt You Down".
- "The Mighty Fall".
- "Ain't Comin Back".
- "We Promised the World We'd Tame It".
- "everybody wants to rule the world".
- Your Ideology (s1)
- "No Rest for the Wicked".
- "Daredevil gets knocked down".
- Human (Frank Castle)
- closer (Matt & Karen & Claire)
- Love Hurts (Matt/Claire)
- Hero or Monster (Karen/Frank)
Archives & Fannish Links
- Daredevil works at AO3
- Daredevil & crossover works at FFN
- Daredevil Kink Meme, DreamWidth kink meme
- Tumblr tags: daredevil netflix, Netflix daredevil, marvel's daredevil, daredevil 2015, daredeviledit - Although many fans just simply use Daredevil
- "NetflixDaredevil". Archived from the original on 2018-12-01.
- "Hell's Kitchen". Archived from the original on 2022-03-15.
- Netflix Marvel Ladies (includes Daredevil)
- ^ "Victory!". Archived from the original on 2020-04-30. (Apr 15, 2015).
- ^ Clint Barton being thrown into a dumpster only to by punkbuckies. Posted April 12, 2015. (Accessed April 15, 2015)