Leo Fitz/Jemma Simmons
|Pairing:||Leo Fitz/Jemma Simmons|
|Gender category:||Het, M/F|
|Fandom:||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Marvel Cinematic Universe)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fitz and Simmons are shown to be very close friends throughout the show. At the end of season 1, Fitz reveals his romantic feelings, but his love is not requited; Simmons kisses him chastely and calls him her 'best friend' before both plunge into the ocean. In season 2, the pair appear to be working together again, though it is revealed that Simmons is in this case a figment of Fitz's imagination. Simmons is actually is working as a double agent in Hydra.
Simmons is exposed as a double agent, escaping Hydra and returning to S.H.I.E.L.D.. Fitz and Simmons disagree throughout Season 2 on how to deal with the new threat, Inhumans. Before Fitz leaves on a mission to infiltrate a S.H.I.E.L.D. ship hijacked by Inhumans, Simmons suggests that she may have feelings for him too. The mission is successful and he awkwardly asks Simmons out on a date. Before they make it to dinner, Simmons is transported through the Kree Monolith to another planet, Maveth. Fitz eventually rescues Simmons, but releases Hive, a dangerous inhuman trapped on Maveth, in the process.
The two begin a romantic relationship in season 3, move in together in season 4, and become engaged and get married in season 5. Also in the fifth season, the team is transported into an apocalyptic future, where Fitzsimmons meet their grandson Deke Shaw.
FitzSimmons is a popular het pairing in the AOS fandom. Science Babies and the less popular Science Twins are the terms used to symbolize the Fitz/Simmons relationship in the spirit of the parent fandom's ship Bruce/Tony of The Avengers Movieverse ().
Common Tropes and Storylines
- Academy Era fics revolve around Fitzsimmons time at S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Science and Technology Academy. These fanworks build on Season 1 Episode 12 Seeds.
- Fitz and Simmons go undercover for a S.H.I.E.L.D. mission, often leads to Fake/Pretend Relationship situations.
- Hurt/Comfort fics often deal with comfort after the trauma of canonical events. Helping Fitz recover from his brain injury and resulting aphasia. Helping Simmons recover after her escape from Maveth. Both characters recovering after escaping The Framework at the end of Season 4.
- Canon divergence AUs are common. They have been used to give one of both of these characters Inhuman powers. Other works assign alternate powers to the Monolith in order to introduce fannish tropes, or have both characters stranded together on the alien planet Maveth. Some fans used canon divergent AUs to rewrite season 2, in which these two were initially separated and unwilling to work together.
- Soulmate AUs, High School AUs and College AUs are all quite popular.
- A small number of fics portray these characters approaching their new relationship from a purely scientific and logical perspective. Tags on Ao3 include variations on 'Science is Sexy' and 'Fake Science'.
- Once these two got together, there was a large amount of domestic and fluff works created. These include future fics with pregnancy, children and/or marriage.
- Wait Out The Sun by agentverbivore (verbivore8642), Fitz and Simmons go undercover in the criminal underworld, trying to get intel on a crime family with mysterious ties to Hydra. It takes time, but eventually they get comfortable with their new identities - so much so that it gets harder and harder to remember why they should go back.
- It Sucks To Be You by memorizingthedigitsofpi, It's the end of season 2 and FitzSimmons are investigating the monolith (and planning their first date). Suddenly, the door to the case opens up and the monolith liquifies, encasing both of them. When they're released, they aren't on Maveth... they're in the wrong body.
- A Series of Firsts by quibbler, Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons finally admit their feelings for one another, and a series of firsts follows.
- An Elaborate Proof by memorizingthedigitsofpi, Jemma agrees to proof one of Fitz's papers and accidentally reads the wrong one.
- FitzSimmons: The Movie Official Trailer (2014)
- fitzsimmons | never say never (2014)
- Fitz & Simmons | psychically linked (2014)
- Fitzsimmons || Just Do [3x18] (2016)
- Fitz & Simmons-Singularity (2016)
- Fitz & Simmons-The Right Direction (2018)