Stranded on a Desert Island
|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||desert island fic, desert island AU|
|Related:||Cave Story, Canadian Shack, Cabin Fic|
|See Also:||No Island AU|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In science fiction fandoms, this trope appears when characters are marooned on an uninhabited planet.
The trope is also used in AU fanfiction, as well as canon-compliant fanfics where a character canonically spends time on a desert island. A small number of works are specifically Lost AU fics, placing characters from a different fandom on the desert island from Lost.
Not to be confused with the fan activity of deciding which fanfics to take with you if you get stranded on a desert island.
Desert Islands in Canon
- Works often focus on Oliver Queen's time on the Lian Yu ("Purgatory") island. In a few other works they do a Role Reversal AU in which Felicity Smoak or Sara Lance get stranded and become the Arrow.
- Between Heaven And Hell by katiedid, Darcy/Steve & side pairing Bucky/Natasha, Darcy gets stuck on a deserted island with a few unexpected guests. (2015)
- Lost Coastlines by pukeandcry. A Harry/Nick story in which Harry and Niall were presumed dead but then found on a desert island. (2014)
- This is not a very common trope in this fandom, despite the show's canonical focus on piracy. Characters can become marooned after falling overboard, shipwreck or mutiny. It is used as a plot device to explore and develop the relationship of two characters, usually Captain Flint/John Silver or Abigail Ashe/Billy Bones.
- Looking to the Stars (Like They've Got All the Answers) by shards_of_divinity. A Kirk/Spock story in which their kidnapper's ship crashes to an uncharted and uninhabited planet, Jim and Spock have to fight to stay alive
- Nothing I Should Care to Leave Behind by busaikko. A Cameron Mitchell/John Sheppard fic, wherein these two are stranded on an uninhabited planet together.