Bucky Barnes/Natasha Romanova
|Pairing:||Bucky Barnes/Natasha Romanova|
|Alternative name(s):||Winter Widow, Soviet Spouses , buckynat|
|Fandom:||Avengers, Captain America, Marvel Comics, MCU|
|Canonical?:||Canon in comics; non-canon in MCU|
|Prevalence:||common in MCU, rare in comics|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Bucky/Natasha is the second-most popular pairing for both characters (Bucky/Steve and Natasha/Clint being the first), especially in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This pairing draws more heavily from the comics canon wherein the two characters have an intense romantic relationship for a while.
In "flashbacks" where Bucky and Natasha know each other, he is often shown as one of her Red Room mentors and they often a romantic tryst between the two (a teacher/student & partner relationship) - similar to their comicsverse relationship. Due to this past relationship, Bucky often refers to Natasha as "Natalia" and Natasha to Bucky as "James".
Many of the fics within this pairing focus on the similar histories that Bucky and Natasha have experienced: both have been 'unmade' into Soviet assassins and have faced the challenge of putting themselves back together. In many movie!verse Bucky/Natasha stories the focus is on Natasha providing support to Bucky after his ordeal with Hydra.
As of September 26, 2014, Bucky/Natasha has 1066 works on Archive of Our Own, by May 21, 2016 Bucky/Natasha has 2,312 works.
- Incendiary Vices and a Filthy Never Mind by nicalyse, In a mess of unknowns, there is a certainty, one thing that has become clear since they began working together again: She wants him.
- this bullet lodged in my chest, covered with your name by Cinaed, Some of Natasha’s memories are true, some are false, but throughout all of them runs one thread of remembrance: a cool metal hand gentle upon her back, tender against her cheek, tight around her throat; an assassin with a crooked smile and eyes like winter.
Posted after the release of CA:TWS:
- a case of you by irnan, Spy-like, Natasha Romanov pokes her nose in places it probably doesn't belong, reads letters definitely not addressed to her, and attaches some distinctly odd sort-of-superstitions to other people's personal belongings. Meanwhile Bucky Barnes is a very charming sort of person, even when he's a little messed up.
- Some Of The Colors Have To Fade by impertinence, Bucky and Natasha drive around the country, taking out HYDRA agents. Along the way, Bucky learns a thing or two.
- You Were a Kindness When I Was a Stranger by napricot, Natasha thought the Winter Soldier was not her problem. Standing in front of the Bucky Barnes portion of the Smithsonian exhibit, she had to admit the Winter Soldier was at least a little bit her problem, if only because Steve was so thoroughly compromised when it came to him. She just wasn’t prepared for how very much the Winter Soldier was her problem too. In which Natasha is Psyche, and Bucky is Eros, kind of.
- Who Compels My Strength by SakuraTsukikage, “Do you want me to stop?” he asked, smiling as he pressed another kiss into the hollow of her shoulder, she could feel it against her skin, even as his hand skimmed up under her shirt, gentle against the curve of her spine until he found the clasp of her bra and unhooked it easily.
- I'm Not the One by reggievass
- applause by HumanEvolutionMutant
- The Ghost Story by Undertaker 8
- Love the way you lie by RobertaJully
- my mission by Undertaker 8
- Sweet Dreams by Iron Girl
- "Who the hell is Natasha?" by RobertaJully
- There's a curse between us by EternalLoveDreamer
- SHOUT by Natalie Rushman
- He was the one who would always have her back by Vylla Art
- my cuties, Archived version by paticmak
- buckynat + undercover as a married couple, Archived version by natalieroleplays (gifset)
- 1872, Archived version by buckynatgifs “You should know: Bucky and I didn’t meet in church. We were both working. He on his side of the law … And me on mine.” (AU gifset)
- 616 Bucky/Natasha Ship Manifesto; WebCite by cyborgcap
- Shipper Manifesto: Natasha Romanoff/James "Bucky" Barnes, by stars_inthe_sky
Additional Art Gallery
Art by thesilverfeatheredraven