|Also Known As:|
|Works:||see One Direction Discography|
|Official Website(s):|| twitter|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
Fans also ship Harry with the other members of 1D (Zarry with Zayn Malik, Narry with Niall Horan and Lirry with Liam Payne), as well as other people associated with the band, such as videographer Ben Winston or photographer Cal Aurand. He might also be shipped with friends like Ed Sheeran and Jeff Azoff (Hazoff).
Some fans just (jokingly) ship Harry with all men he's ever met. See HARRY WITH MEN: A MASTERPOST by caramelfringe and Harry with men is the most important thing in the WORLD!!!!!! by cocoalou.
All the popular Harry ships are slash; however, there is a large volume of het fanfiction about him on the internet. Most of it appears to be self-insert imagines, but a few stories focus on his short canonical relationship with X Factor presenter Caroline Flack (Haroline) and his appearances with Taylor Swift (Haylor) and Kendall Jenner (Hendall).
Tropes & Fanon
In general, fandom agrees that Harry is a ray of sunshine skipping through the daisies who doesn't have a mean bone in his body. For example, see this vid comparing his tweets to those of the other band members: two types of people (posted February 13, 2014).
In fanworks, he is often characterized as polite, friendly, outgoing, sweet, and flirtatious (or innocent and naive, or innocently flirtatious and naive). Sweet and innocent Harry is known as Cupcake Harry (bears a resemblance to actual Harry, but with fewer sexual innuendos and crotch grabs). He usually very tactile and, in fic where another character is pining over him, likely oblivious to the effect he has on them.
A lot of fanfic also makes him promiscuous (likely based on tabloid gossip, plus the requirements of tourfic). See this fanfic example of Cupcake Harry characterization with added promiscuity, where Harry has accidentally scheduled two hookups for the same night:
Harry must see Niall's exasperation, because very carefully and as if any of it makes sense, he explains, "I had the first girl set up since yesterday and then when the other one turned up backstage today she was really fit and I just forgot about the first one. They're going to show up in five minutes, Niall, both of them, I just need you to take one off my hands."
Niall looks at Harry's earnest face and puts his head in the crook of Harry's neck. Harry smells kind of sweaty, but he's really comfortable. "You need sleep, Harry. Just send one of them home. No, send 'em both home, you need a night off.""I can't do that! It would hurt their feelings!"
He is depicted as easily accepting of his own and other people's sexuality (not contradicted by canon), and in slash sometimes assumed to be bisexual (denied in interviews).
There are, of course, some examples of this characterization no longer being appreciated or desireable, as Tumblr user theboycanthelpit addresses in this post (December 28, 2014):
Harry is very good at letting himself be whatever people want him to be. I’ve always found him hard to write because he’s so layered, and I feel like we rarely get a good look at who he is under layers and layers of being whatever people want him to be.… …I am fascinated by the Harry who nearly killed himself on 1D day, and dances when he gets off planes, and eats food off the floor, and steals people’s children and renames them Eric, and screws up, and dances with Niall, and punches unsuspecting Liams, and says he likes girls who don’t wear makeup, and throws pouty little fits. The one who, back on the TMH tour, whispered an answer to the question “What don’t you like to eat?” to Zayn, and it was “pussy.” The one who, on the X-Factor finale, told whatshisname ON MIC, “think of all the pussy you’re gonna get.” That dude is FASCINATING and kind of dirty and not at all perfect, and I love him. But I forget that sometimes, because what gets retumbled usually is (some of tumblr) fandom’s sanitized, perfect, saintly, pronoun-game-playing, teflon Harry.
There are a few counter trends in characterization:
- So-called Dark Harry, an extreme version of which can be seen in After, a wildly popular het self-insert fic wich turns Harry into an abusive, alcoholic jerk.
- Harry as an introverted nerd: following the release of the Best Song Ever music video in 2013, there was a flurry of fanworks featuring Harry's awkward character Marcel the Marketing Guy and depicting Harry as Marcel. However, Nerd Harry predates Marcel: this trope involves a lot of fannish projection and speculation over Harry's actual personality.
- Flower Crown Harry - Tumblr/Twitter meme started in March 2013 that generated so many photoshopped images of the band wearing flower crowns that some fans were inspired to throw real flower crowns onstage at concerts, resulting in canon flower!crown!Harry photos that are difficult to distinguish from some of the more sophisticated fan edits. See the AO3 tag Flower Child Harry for more fanworks.
- Angel Harry/Harry with wings - Minor art and fic trope that's been around since 2013. This is another trope where concert photos (from March 2015) of Harry actually wearing something thrown onstage by a fan surfaced after photoshopped versions were made by fans.
Fanart and Graphics
Disney-cartoon style digital fanart by mainlyapes, depicting a shirtless Harry with canonical tattoos and non-canon Flower Crown; this piece spawned the the Flower Crown Harry meme on Tumblr. See also this piece by the same artist, in which Harry looks like a cross between Ariel and Bambi. (2013)
manip of a concert photo from 2013; early flower crown meme example
- Sugar on the Asphalt by justanchorandhope. Harry/Original Female Character
- May You Enjoy Your New Life by aimmyarrowshigh. Harry/Louis. (2012-2013)
- Harry Styles fanworks at AO3
- harry in particular was awful: a masterpost by tracedust
- harry’s not even my favorite but he’s still my favorite because by louisranger
- A Huggable Masterpost by str8stylin
- At least 23 million, if the number of followers on his Twitter account is any indication. (23.3 million as of 10 January 2015.) By comparison, fellow bandmember Niall Horan has 21 million, Liam Payne has 19 million, Louis Tomlinson has 18.4 million, and for some reason Zayn Malik has only 13.7 million.
- Zayn Malik/Harry Styles AO3 tag
- Niall Horan/Harry Styles AO3 tag
- Liam Payne/Harry Styles AO3 tag
- Harry Styles/Ben Winston AO3 tag
- Ed Sheeran/Harry Styles
- Hazoff Tumblr tag
- Nick Grimshaw/Harry Styles
- Harry Styles. on Twitter: "Please know I didn't 'dump' caroline. This was a mutual decision. She is one of the kindest, sweetest people I know. Please respect that.", posted 26 Jan 2012.
- See Caroline Flack/Harry Styles (72), Harry Styles/Taylor Swift (161), and Kendall Jenner/Harry Styles (27) fanworks on AO3. (Counts as of 26 January 2015.)
- Maybe With Me by threeturn, a Harry/Niall fic posted to AO3 2013-06-12. (Accessed 20 August 2014.)
- Anonymous thread, discussion of canon vs. fanon, started 2013-06-18], onedanon LiveJournal community. Someone once said about Harry that the most surprising thing about him is that he is an observer. He'll just sit and watch people around him, rather than participating in a conversation. (Accessed 30 August 2014.)
- The first manip in the Angel Harry tag on Tumblr is dated May 2, 2013. The "Angel Harry" tag on Archive of Our Own was created May 9, 2013, and the first use of the angel!Harry tag was on March 23, 2013.