|Also Known As:||Grimmy|
|Occupation:||radio and television presenter|
|Medium:||radio and television|
|Works:||The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Nick Grimshaw|
Sweat the Small Stuff
|Official Website(s):|| Twitter|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
Nick Grimshaw, aka Grimmy, (born Aug 14, 1984) is an English media personality. He is best known as the current host of BBC Radio 1's Breakfast Show (starting September 24, 2012) and close friend to One Direction's Harry Styles. He identifies as gay.
See wikipedia for more canon details.
Presence in fanworks
- Nick/Harry, or Gryles, is the most popular ship involving him, with 1253 works posted to AO3 as of July 29, 2015.
- Nick/Louis, or Tomlinshaw, is the second most popular ship, with 834 works posted to AO3 as of July 29, 2015.
The widespread temporary or unrequited Nick/Harry fic trope in Larry Stylinson fic seems to suggest there might be more endgame Tomlinshaw than endgame Gryles, but it does not skew the results that much: even when Harry/Louis is filtered out of the results on AO3, there are 200 more Nick/Harry fics than Nick/Louis.
Other ships include: Grincham, which pairs Nick up with Breakfast Show producer Matt Fincham; anecdotal ships with various BBCR1 colleagues or other 1D members; threesome or OT3 ships often involving Nick, Harry Styles, and one of their common acquaintances such as other 1D members, Ben Winston, Taylor Swift, Caroline Flack, or Daisy Lowe.
Relationship with One Direction fandomHarry Styles and alleged "feud" with Louis Tomlinson have prompted reactions ranging from mild dislike to homophobic slurs and online death threats. He is often accused of owing his rise to success only to his connexion to Harry Styles and of being disingenuous in his friendship, "using" Harry for his fame. See for example this exchange between former Tumblr user tamponimpalaa and ziusik:
On the other hand, some of the Larry believers think his friendship with Harry makes him a prime source to confirm that "Larry is real." See for example Nick's Nov 5, 2011 tweet quoting Harry:
ok I’m sorry to anyone who loves Nick grimshaw and I have nothing against you or whatever but, I literally canNOT stand him. He literally feeds off of being Harry’s friend. apart from people who originally listened to his radio show, who really knew who he was? Like im pretty sure most people heard about him through Harry. I know I did. i just think he takes to being harry’s friend as his “rise to fame”. (...)
OKAY. I NEVER do this, because it’s not worth it, but let me first ask you: are you British? Because I am pretty sure you are not. I’m not, either, but I at least research things, so let’s break this down:
1) Nick has been a fixture of British pop television/radio since about 2007. Before One Direction were anywhere NEAR a twinkle in Simon’s eye.
2) He has hosted MULTIPLE shows over the years, such as T4, Switch with Annie Mac (a pretty legendary DJ herself at this point), Freshly Squeezed. He’s had a career longer than any of the 1D boys have been famous, and definitely since before they were famous enough to be “used” for fame. He’s been KNOWN since then. IN HIS COUNTRY, WHERE HE WAS A DJ/VIDEO HOST.3) His friendship with Harry has been more beneficial for HARRY, who has been accepted into London’s ~inner circle~ and become a fixture in the fashion scene, at least, thanks to Nick. Nick is the one with all those connections. NOT Harry. (...)
"i might come out tonight, maybe not though" @Harry_Styles, Philosopher, November 2010The tweet has become a staple of 'Larry proof' posts, such as this one:
November 4-5th were epic days on Twitter for Harry where, for all intents and purposes, he outed himself for a brief period of time, and then an outing was heavily hinted at by Nick Grimshaw the next night.
Another instance of this phenomenon is the fake TMZ article which emerged on social media circa July 14, 2014, meant to depict an interview in which Nick Grimshaw confirmed that Harry Styles was gay and Larry was, indeed, real:
The graphic prompted the hilarity of many fans; however, a number of Larry believers fell for it, and took to Twitter to offer thanks or ask for confirmation.Thus, on any given day, Nick's Twitter mentions and Tumblr tag might be equally full of abuse from fandom and non-fandom haters and/or homophobes and of pleas for him to tweet or mention certain words on air to confirm Harry and Louis' supposed relationship. Such instances have led to weariness among Nick fans, as exemplified by the humorous bio of the Nick Grimshaw news Twitter account:
We venture into Nick's @/s so you don't have to. 
Fanwork characterizations of Nick have shifted somewhat over the years, reflecting comments about himself that he has made in interviews. Earlier Nick/Harry fics sometimes built on Nick’s perpetual singleness and cast Nick as flighty, insecure, or not ready for commitment, but some more recent fics have flipped this characterization, and made Nick more secure in his own needs and desires in a relationship. 
As a result of this sometimes antagonistic relationship with the wider 1D fandom, Nick Grimshaw is sometimes demonized in fanworks, especially of the badfic type. This is typical of fannish character bashing.
This trope is widely condemned as a sad repetition of the homophobic "gay men as predators" stereotype.
Temporary relationships or unrequited feelings
These tropes are not as obviously problematic as the previous one, and can appear in excellent stories.
Nick often features in background pairings that have been or will be broken up in order for other pairings to become endgame, or acts as a conduit for two other characters to realize their true love. He might also be written as having unresolved/unrequited feelings for a member of the main pairing.
This means that, more often that not, stories tagged Nick/Harry on AO3 turn out to be Harry/Louis stories. In fact, out of the 100 most recent fanworks in the Nick/Harry tag at the time of writing, fewer than 30 focus on this pairing as endgame.
Some fans have questioned the underlying message and effect of the plot device, which fits within a wider fandom trend of using and/or passing up a canon queer character in order for two seemingly straight characters to end up together (see for example the debates around promoting Sterek over representation of canon queer character Danny Mahealani in Teen Wolf fandom).
Nick and kids
Because of Nick's wide and active social circle in canon, fanworks which focus on him often depict him as an extremely sociable protagonist and include an array of recurring minor characters. In fic, they are often more level-headed than him about relationships and can be instrumental in getting the main characters together, in a way acting as a proxy for the reader.
The clique includes, but is not limited to: Henry Holland; Gillian Orr; Alexa Chung; Aimee Phillips; Radio 1 colleagues Matt Fincham, Ian Chaloner, Fiona Hanlon, and LMC; Colette Cooper, Daisy Lowe, Florence Welch, etc.
Nick’s fanon identity is so tied up in his radio work that in Alternate Universe fanworks where other characters do completely noncanon work, Nick often still works in radio, as a DJ, or in College AUs, studies radio or music. Other AUs have included Nick working in fashion somehow, which is a canon interest of his.
As of July 29, 2015:
- First AO3 fic featuring Nick: I Used to Think We Were Forever by mrsyt31, Nick/Harry, posted August 22, 2012.
- First AO3 fic with the Nick Grimshaw character tag: It's Fine, Really by fortymaliks, Nick/Harry, posted August 29, 2012.
- Most hit AO3 fic featuring Nick in the main pairing: I Had Rather Hear My Dog Bark At A Crow by sunsetmog, Nick/Louis, posted January 4, 2014.
- AO3 fic with the most kudos featuring Nick in the main pairing: I Had Rather Hear My Dog Bark At A Crow by sunsetmog, Nick/Louis, posted January 4, 2014.
More example fanworks:
- so maybe I made a nick grimshaw master post? by nicholaspetergrimshaw, posted August 1, 2012.
- gif fanart by stealthnugget, originally posted in 2012.
- There Is No Downtime by tilda, Nick/Harry, posted March, 19, 2013 + podfic by greedy_dancer, posted December 22, 2013.
- Sweat the Small Stuff gif by gayathrik1611, posted May 3, 2013 (502,703 notes as of Sept 6, 2014).
- An Abridged Sexual History of Nick Grimshaw: A Love Story by mrsronweasley, Nick/Harry, Nick/OMC, Nick/Jonny, Nick/Matt Richardson, Nick/Henry Holland, posted July 7, 2013 + podfic by ofjustimagine, posted December 17, 2013.
- I Had Rather Hear My Dog Bark At A Crow by sunsetmog, Nick/Louis, posted January 4, 2014.
- Chilipshaw by teaboytoaliens, Nick/Ian Chaloner/Aimee Phillips, posted March 2, 2014.
- Apocalypse Song by waspabi, Nick/Harry, posted April 19, 2014.
- Nick Grimshaw/Harry Styles AO3 tag
- Nick Grimshaw/Louis Tomlinson AO3 tag
- Nick Grimshaw/Matt Fincham AO3 tag
- mtv.co.uk, Louis Tomlinson And Nick Grimshaw In Twitter Spat, posted October 8, 2013
- The Huffington Post UK, Nick Grimshaw Receives 'Homophobic Death Threats' From One Direction Fans After Louis Tomlinson Joke posted February 26, 2014 (retrieved Sept 5, 2014)
- tamponimpalaa (deleted profile), untitled Tumblr post, preserved in ziusik's reblog, January 2014.
- grimmers, tweet, Nov 5, 2011 (retrieved Sept 5, 2014)
- bulletproofhalo, TIMELINE: November 2011, posted on Tumblr May 20, 2013
- ihavea1Dbloghelp, "BAM! NICK GRIMSHAW GIVES MORE DETAILS ABOUT GAY HARRY", posted on July 14, 2014 on Tumblr. Parodied the original fake article with more in the same vein: Nicholas Grimshaw revealed himself happy in a questioning for a giant magazine because an interviewer questioned him in a nice way.
- Updated Twitter search results @grimmers + "is larry real"
- ngrimcomm, Twitter bio, retrieved Sept 5, 2014
- junkshopdisco, The Miseducation of Harry Styles, where Nick attempts to break up with Harry by telling him, "The thing you have to realise about DJs…is we all go batshit. Like, you can delay the onset of batshit by avoiding the nastier narcotics and never, ever buying a Toto album, but ultimately it comes for us all.”
- currently anonymous, begin again
- in which i cry a lot about how nick’s mindset of and attitude toward relationships has changed in the past two or so years… May 2014 Tumblr post by carswinky.
- Ari2Ana, What You Need, a WIP where Louis saves Harry from abusive boyfriend Nick.
- PrincessLou, I'll Guide You Through The Dark, Harry consoles Louis after Nick hurts him.
- lev1107, Make Me Feel Broken, Harry cheats on Louis with Nick, pushing Louis into an eating disorder relapse.
- becka and mediaville, Promise Not To Stop When I Say When, Nick brings Louis into his relationship with Harry before taking himself out of the equation.
- magneticwave, it's you i find like a ghost in my mind, Soulmates!AU where Harry is meant for Nick but chooses Louis.
- Nick/Harry tag, July 29, 2015.
- crucio, untitled Tumblr picture set, collage of Nick and Harry with small children.
- blamefincham, untitled Tumblr picspam, a masterlist of Nick+children pictures
- waspabi, All of it singing, Nick/Harry domestic future!fic.
- ihavea1dbloghelp, Gryles kidfic, Single father!Nick meets Harry.
- See Accio My Heart by waspabi - even in a Harry Potter fusion, Nick loves and eventually works in radio.
- vogue.com, Nick Grimshaw’s New Star Fashion Role, posted 27 Nov 2013.