The Best of...
You may be looking for other titles starting with Best of.
|Title:||The Best of...|
|Publisher:||Memory Alpha: The Federation Library and Bibliography Centre|
|Fandom:||Star Trek: TOS|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
INTRODUCING, "The Best Of" series. A series of reprint anthologies of your favourite Star Trek Fan Fiction, produced inexpensively - at cost - as a service to fandom, to enable more people to read some of these stories and poems that are otherwise difficult or expensive to obtain. 7 - 10 stories mimeo 50 - 70 pages per issue. 
Issue 1 (Best of Christmas on the Enterprise)
The Best of Christmas on the Enterprise was published in 1976 and contains 46 pages.
It contains Christmas stories reprinted from other zines. Material by Cross, Sweeney, Farnell&Hancock&Crawford [cited this way in an ad in The Halkan Council], Penland, Collin, Brockman, Smith, Howard and Young. The original price was $1 in person, $1.50 by mail.
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Spock by Ingrid Cross (from Warped Space #13) (1)
- A Story of Christmas Future by Carol Anne Sweeney (from Archives Log #3, n.1/2) (3)
- Captain Kirk and His Waterbed by K. Farnell (from Menagerie #5, also in Archives #3) (8)
- The Gift by Kathleen Penland (from R & R #1, also in Accumulated Leave #1) (16)
- Return of the Night Before Christmas by Debbie Collin (from The Clipper Trade Ship #12) (26)
- Winter Wonderland by Roger Brockman (from Mile High Communicator #1) (27)
- 100 Proof Positive by Paula Smith (from Menagerie #6 and Warped Space #13) (37)
- A Trekker's Christmas by Teri Howard (from Star Trek Songs and Ballads) (42)
- The Cool Tide by "Auntie Matter" (44) (new to this zine)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 1
See reactions and reviews for 100 Proof Positive.
Issue 2 (Best of Scotty)
The Best of Scotty was published in 1977 and contains 64 pages. It is a collection of Scotty stories reprinted from earlier zines.
- Nessie by Gerry Downes (reprinted from Berengaria #7; also in Archives #1, Stardate: Unknown #2, and Log Entries #8) (1)
- And Burned is Apollo's Laurel Bough by Ruth Berman (reprinted from T-Negative #24) (6)
- Aircraft Landing by Mary Lou Dodge (reprinted from Delta Triad #3) (11)
- Tho' It Be Ten Thousand Miles by Sharon Ferraro (reprinted from Menagerie #3) (16)
- Scotty and the Children by D. J. Wheeler (reprinted from Archives' Log v.2 #7; also in Star Trek Adventure) (36)
- The Tissue Issue by Carol Davis (from James Doohan International Club Newsletter January 1976) (42)
- Scotty's Decision by Chuck Gannon (Berengaria #7) (45)
- The Wait by Melissa Bayard (reprinted from Pegasus #1) (53)
- Who's That Sleeping in the Captain's Bed? by Becky Baggett (reprinted from Sol III #1) (55)
Issue 3 (Best of Pon Farr)
The Best of Pon Farr is a collection of pon farr stories reprinted from earlier zines. Some adult themes. Edited by Memory Alpha. Published 1977. Printed mimeograph, stapled, 72 pages. Art by Pat Harris. Contains the following stories and poems:
- The Other Side of the Mirror by M. L. "Steve" Barnes (reprinted from Grup #2) (1)
- Menage a Trois by Matthew Brown (reprinted from Alnitah #5) (7)
- So This is Love, poem by Gerry Downes (reprinted from Nebula of Orion (1976), and Relay #1 (1980)) (17)
- Companion Piece by Karen Klinck (reprinted from Warped Space #6) (18)
- Parted from Me by Jean Lorrah (reprinted from Triskelion #3; also in Parted from Me and Other Stories and Archives #6) (21)
- The Memo Series by Joyce Strodecke (27)
- Time Enough by Lelamarie Kriedler (reprinted from Spockanalia #4) (36)
- T'Pring's Decision by Melissa Bayard (reprinted from Pegasus #1) (44)
- Amok Time II by M. A. Carson (reprinted from Southern Star #2) (51)
- Across Time by Gail Abend (reprinted from Rigel #2) (52)
- There Are Worse Things by Johanna Cantor (reprinted from Warped Space #20) (57)
- The Experiment by Dee Meuser (reprinted from Menagerie) (67)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 3
See reactions and reviews for Parted from Me.
[zine]: This zine attempts to be nothing more than it is: an amateur publication complete with occasional blurred print and typos. There are not art, cartoons, or other frills which many of us have come to expect and appreciate in zines. If you are a Spock fan, or a new Trek fan, or perhaps new to fandom, you'll appreciate the effort Ms. Barbour has put into this zine. The price is $2.00 and a good buy. 
Issue 4 (Best of Amanda and Sarek)
The Best of Amanda and Sarek is a collection of Amanda and Sarek stories reprinted from earlier zines. Some adult themes. Edited by Memory Alpha. Published 1978. Printed mimeograph, stapled, 94 pages. Art by Pat Harris and Gordon Carleton. Contains the following stories:
- The Ambassador and the Lady by Norma Smith (reprinted from Pastaklan Vesla #4) (1)
- Amanda's Song by Teri Howard (filk from Star Trek Songs and Ballads) (9)
- Initiative by Jacqueline Lichtenberg -- a Kraith story (reprinted from Kraith Collected #4) (10)
- It Seemed the Logical Thing by Ruth Berman (reprinted from T-Negative #9) (28)
- The Offering by Jane Dalley (reprinted from Despatch #22/23/24; also in Star Trek Nuts & Bolts #14/15) (30)
- In Reflection by Jane Dalley (33)
- The Decision by Claire Gabriel (reprinted from Berengaria #3; also in Quartet #1 and Computer Playback #4) (34)
- Reflections and Recall by Trinette Kern (reprinted from Sahaj Collected) (42)
- Amanda's Song by Helen Sneddon (43)
- The Natural Thing to Do by Linda Hunter (reprinted from R&R #3) (44)
- The Ambassador's Nightmare by Jean Lorrah (reprinted from Warped Space #16); also in NTM Collected #2) (47)
- Was Ever a Man More Loved by Helen Sneddon (59)
- Beginnings by Kathy Dunn (reprinted from Federation Graffiti) (60)
- The Rift by Johanna Butler (reprinted from Beta Niobe#Issue 3|Beta Niobe (Star Trek: TOS zine)|Beta Niobe #3) (65)
- An Explanation by Carolyn Hilliard (66)
- The Wind's Will by Debbie Collin (reprinted from The Clipper Trade Ship #9; also in One Trek Mind #5 and Star Trek Nuts & Bolts #14/15)(67)
- T'Pring and Sarek by Ruth Berman (reprinted from And Starry Skies) (72)
- All in a Day's Work by Johanna Cantor (reprinted from Galactic Discourse #1; also in Archives #4) (74)
- Interstellar Babysitters, Inc. by Leslye Lilker and Eileen Roy -- a Sahaj story (reprinted from Warped Space #28) (78)
- Of Which Reason Knows Nothing by Doris Beetem (reprinted from Warped Space #23) (83)
- Spock's History by Jane Dalley (87)
- Bibliography--A listing of Sarek & Amanda stories in zines. (88)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 4
See reactions and reviews for The Decision.
See reactions and reviews for The Ambassador and the Lady.
[zine]: This zine is a collection of stories from other zines dealing with Sarek and Amanda, their courtship, marriage, and the birth of Spock. The editorial probes additional information on the background of this special couple including the Kraith universe and Sahaj. A bibliography provides a list of other stories dealing with Sarek and Amanda... This zine has a neat overall appearance with all the story pages typed in columns (this reviewer has a passion for columns. Besides looking neater, they are easier to read.) This issue contains artwork by Pat Harris, Jeanie Hunter, and Gordon Carleton. It is my opinion that this zine is worth the money and should be added to your collection. 
[zine]: I have a definite bias towards 'Vulcan' stories… But any old story with a pointed-eared character won't do - it has to be well-written as well, and preferably be good on both character and relationships. So I can definitely recommend a compilation zine I bought second-hand myself, called The Best of Sarek and Amanda. It even had a bibliography to lead you further on, if you can get hold of them (they seem to be mostly US). There are selections here from most of the main alternate universes in Trek, including Kraith, which has a slightly different atmosphere to most stories I've read, but is consistently written to a very high standard, and is often thought-provoking too.