Clint Barton/Sam Wilson
|Pairing:||Clint Barton/Sam Wilson|
|Alternative name(s):||Lovebirds, Angry Birds, BirdBros, FalconHawk, Falconeye, ClintSam|
|Gender category:||Slash, M/M|
|Fandom:||Marvel Comics, The Avengers (Marvel), The Avengers Movieverse & Captain America Movieverse (MCU)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Clint/Sam is the slash pairing of Clint Barton (aka Hawkeye) and Sam Wilson (aka Falcon) in the Marvel Comics fandom.
Clint and Sam are members of the The Avengers in the main comic book continuity. They also interact in Marvel's Avengers Assemble cartoon. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, both characters are part of the Avengers team and both of them take Steve Rogers' side in Captain America: Civil War but they have yet to share screentime.
Clint/Sam is a rare pairing, with most of its fandom activity happening around the release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Thus, much of the fandom interest in the pairing comes from Marvel Cinematic Universe, despite the fact that the characters have not yet met in that universe. The pairing started out as a crack ship inspired by their bird-based superhero identities.
Since the pairing has a lot of different names, most of the content created for it is scattered across a number of different tags, some of which is shared with other fandoms or non-fannish interests, making the available fanworks difficult to find.
Common Tropes and Fanon
- Building on the popularity of the Clint Barton is a bird trope, much of the fanwork either seriously or crackily focuses on Sam and Clint engaging in bird behaviors -- flying, obviously, but also nesting and transforming into actual birds.
- Many fans focus on their potential interactions in the military or SHIELD, often incorporating the movie The Hurt Locker as backstory, because in it Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie are both members of an explosive ordnance disposal unit in Iraq.
- Clint is Riley: Riley was Sam's best friend who was killed in action pre-canon; since we only see a single photo of him in canon, some fans use his resemblence to Clint to theorize that he was one of Clint's undercover identities.
- Birds of a Feather Fall Together, by scifigrl47: Clint & Sam snark at each other on SHIELD missions. (2,409 words)
- Rules of Courting, by ifeelbetter: Clint & Sam keep having their dates interrupted by Avengers. (840 words)
- Whisper, by AvaKelly: a "Clint is Riley" fic. (12,393 words)
- Highest Fall You'll Ever Grace by UchiHime. Sam/Riley/Clint A/B/O pre-canon fic. (3,021 words)
- Two NSFW fanarts by kait
- Secret Nest for Birds, Archived version by nocek, a post in the Petvengers series.
- How to call Hawkeye and Falcon, Archived version by yummidoesnothing
- Sorry I posted all my junk today by enngry
Additional Art Gallery
"My favorite birdies of Marvel," by Aardvarky
"Would their ship name be love birds?" by Crazyk-c
Quick Sketch by meekobits
Archives and Communities
- Clint Barton/Sam Wilson tag at AO3
- Clint Barton/Sam Wilson tag on Tumblr
- ^ Partners, or something like that, gifset on Tumblr.