|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
To repod is to make a podfic of a fanfic that has previously been podficced. Repods are done most often by a different podficcer, but fans have been known to revisit fics they've podded before (usually on purpose, sometimes as a multi-voice, rarely because they forgot they podficced it already). Originally, repods were deliberate, but as blanket permission became more popular, accidental repods, often posted simultaneously, by podficcers unaware that someone else was working on the same story became more common. In 2014, a pod_aware podcast suggested multipod as a broader term to describe the existence of multiple podfic versions of a fanfic.
The practice of repodding was controversial until at least 2010. Some felt that it was "a waste of time", and there were some hurt feelings around the issue. Others were "happy and comfortable with the idea" and thought they brought "something new and exciting and interesting to the table."
In a 2014 Pod Aware podcast, klb identified anatsuno and general_jinjur's simultaneous podfics of A Beautiful Lifetime Event as the first instance of deliberate repodding. The two podfics were posted to the Audiofic Archive on 22 August 2009.
I'm hoping that running a challenge like this will help with the stigma that currently exists around multiple podfics of the same story. People seem to think that if someone makes a podfic of something that's already been podficed it's because they found the first podfic lacking in some way. Never mind that there are a lot of other reasons someone might want to podfic the story. This challenge won't be about that though, it'll be about some of the other reasons you might want to podfic a story that has already been done. Like it's fun! And different! You really love the story in question! Hopefully this will help people realize that just because two podfics are a reading of the same story doesn't mean that they are copies of each other (podfic is not just a format shift from text to audio, it's an art form, a performance), or that one is necessarily better than the other. Just like a cover of a song can bring a new dimension/feel to the song being covered.
In a November 2011 pod_aware podcast, paraka commented that repodding had become much less controversial. In a 2014 pod_aware podcast, paraka, bessyboo, and exmanhater agreed that the repodding was no longer controversial, though acknowledging that some people still might not like it.
Examples of Repodding
- Truth Is a Whisper was first podficced by crinklysolution and a few months later by villainy.
- Beltane, the first story in The Beltane Cycle was originally podficced by Winkingstar. FayJay podficced the sequels Coming of Age, That Shall Achieve the Sword and An Exile In Albion. To have a matching set, she repodded Beltane.
- The History of Two Conversations (On Paper), another Merlin story, was podficced by threequarters and repodded by such_heights for a charity auction.
- Drastically Redefining Protocol / Drastically Redefining Protocol (podfic) was first podficced by RevolutionaryJo and a year later repodded by Lunchee. The repod is an hour longer than the original.
The most repods?
- Important Angel Business, a Supernatural Sam/Gabriel fic by entanglednow, has been podficced at least seven times.
- 2011-05-01: SPN Podfic/Podbook: Important Angel Business (Sam/Gabriel), Archived version by alchemynerd and immortal_kat (stored on Megaupload and Audiofic Archive, RIP)
- 2012-04-12: Important Angel Business / audiofic, Archived version by kalakirya
- 2012-10-31: Important Angel Business / audiofic, Archived version by majoline
- 2013-03-02: Important Angel Business / audiofic, Archived version by kdheart and sarshi
- 2013-04-09: Important Angel Business / audiofic, Archived version by tenoko1
- 2015-02-27: Important angel business (podfic) [Archive of Our Own], Archived version by Cantadope
- 2015-07-24: Important Angel Business, Archived version by kalakirya and kdheart
- reena_jenkins podded a DCU fic, Smile by zarabithia, for an anthology in 2015 and then again in 2017 for ITPE.
- Podcast on Multipods by ladybessyboo, exmanhater, and paraka. Made for Pod Aware 2014., Tumblr post 12 November 2014.
- See comment thread at podficmeta Should readers get permission to make podfic? by jesse_the_k First posted January 22, 2010.
- Fayjay. The ethics of multiple recordings and calling dibs, posted in amplificathon August 28, 2010.
- juice817, in response to "Should readers get permission to make podfic?" posted in podficmeta, posted February 5, 2010.
- podcath, in response to "Calling Dibs and Cover Versions" posted in podficmeta, August 29, 2010.
- podklb, in response to "Calling Dibs and Cover Versions" posted in amplificathon, August 28, 2010.
- novembersmith, in response to "Calling Dibs and Cover Versions" posted in amplificathon, August 28, 2010.
- Pod-Aware Day 1: 10 Changes in Podfic History Since 2009.
- See anatsuno's entry and jinjurly's entry.
- paraka, Welcome to the Podfic Repod Challenge. July 30, 2010.
- podcast by bessyboo, knight_tracer and paraka, posted in pod_aware. Pod Aware Day 6 - Repodding!, 12 November 2011