Leo Fitz/Alphonso Mackenzie
|Pairing:||Leo Fitz/Alphonso Mackenzie|
|Fandom:||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Marvel Cinematic Universe)|
|Archives:||Leo Fitz/Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie works on AO3|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Leo Fitz/Alphonso Mackenzie, known as Fitz/Mack, is a minor non-canon slash pairing in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The pairing sprang up in 2014 following the introduction of Mack and his interactions with Fitz during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season two, and was most active in 2014 and 2015, while season two was airing.
Mack and Fitz meet during season two as S.H.I.E.L.D. is struggling to rebuild itself following the Hydra takeover at the end of the first season and during Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Fitz is suffering from aphasia and dyspraxia as a result of the brain damage he suffered during a near brush with death at the hands of Grant Ward, along with his best friend Jemma Simmons.
At the beginning of the season he is isolated from his team, who are unsure of how to interact with a changed Fitz, and he spends most of his time talking to a hallucination of Simmons, who is in fact away on an undercover mission to infiltrate Hydra. Mack befriends Fitz, nicknaming him "Turbo", and quickly becomes the only person who is able to relate to Fitz in his current condition, working out what he is trying to communicate and assisting him with his experiments. As Mack is an engineer and Fitz is a scientist who often invents and builds gadgets, the two of them have a shared passion for fixing and modifying things.
As Mack had never met Fitz prior to the incident that caused his brain damage, several fics emphasize this fact and contrast the way that Mack treats Fitz with the way that the rest of the team treats him, often by way of a confrontation between Mack and the other characters.
During Fitz's hallucinations of Jemma Simmons in season two, in episode 2x05 he acknowledged that she was part of his subconscious for the first time, after her rather flattering comments directed at Mack's physique. Fitz commented that he "obviously agreed" with her, "what with you being my subconscious and everything". Some fans (especially FitzMack shippers) took that short conversation as proof that Fitz was canonically bisexual, which gave some hope that FitzMack ship could become canon.
A number of FitzMack fanworks also play on the height difference between Fitz (who is 5'8, or 173cm) and Mack (who is 6'4, or 193cm) by having Mack pick Fitz up to kiss him, or having Fitz use some kind of aid like a stepping stool in order to reach Mack.
- If I Run Out Of Songs To Sing by torakowalski, Fitz is almost one hundred percent sure that he and Mack are friends, but he’s eighty percent sure that friends don’t share beds. Still, that's what keeps happening, and he's not exactly complaining.
- Fitz and the Impressive Physique by callay, The one where Fitz is really into Mack's body.
- Whoever You Are, Wherever You've Come From (This Is Where You Belong) by scribblybits, Alphonso Mackenzie isn't sure that he made the right decision joining a clandestine government agency headquartered in an old warehouse on the outskirts of town. Not until he meets Leo Fitz, that is. And while fixing things has always come pretty easily to Mac, one thing is clear to him from his very first day at The Playground: No matter what he's been through, and no matter what his teammates might believe, Leo Fitz isn't broken. Leo Fitz is perfect.
- shouting into the cliffs without an echo by plinys, Mack had learned years ago not to get attached to any of the various shops and diners that filled the empty building across the street from his auto shop, but when a certain (hipster shit) guy, named Fitz, shows up and promises that this one will be different “that they’ll last a year,” he can’t help but want to see the little cafe succeed.
- Feelings That Are Real by heartsdesire456, Mack was getting really tired of certain aspects of the team.
- “You’re good for him.”
- “He seems better with you around.”
- “I just wanted to thank you. For helping Fitz. Well, for being his friend.”
- It was seriously getting old. He got that everybody else seemed to seriously think Fitz was broken or something, but it had gone from people thinking he had anything to do with Fitz getting better to people thanking him for being his friend.
- Coming Home by heartsdesire456, Fitz and Mack have a good thing together, something that works for them both, but being part of SHIELD, real life really can - and does - get in the way. Sequel to Feelings That Are Real.
- Soldier by NovemberGirl
- FitzMack - The Scientist by StrawMarry
- Take Me To Church (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Fitz/Mack) by torchinca
Archives and Communities
- Fitz/Mack tag on AO3.
- Fitz/Mack fics on FFN.
- Fitz/A.Mackenzie fics on FFN.
- fitzmackdaily on Tumblr
- fitzmack AO3 Tumblr feed