Bruce Banner/Clint Barton
|Pairing:||Bruce Banner/Clint Barton|
|Alternative name(s):||Hulkeye, Angry Birds|
|Gender category:||Slash, M/M|
|Fandom:||The Avengers (Marvel), Marvel Comics, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, The Avengers Movieverse|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Bruce/Clint relationship lacks in canonical evidence, yet makes up for it in the strength of its proponents.
This pairing seems to originate from The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (2010-12). In this cartoon, Clint Barton bonds with Hulk and Bruce Banner has a supporting role. Since then, many fan producers have attempted to rework their roles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in order to make this pairing possible.
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Shared Backstory: In the comics, Bruce Banner and Clint Barton have similar backstories. They both come from broken homes with abusive fathers.
- Cupid and Jade Jaws: Nicknames are common for both characters. Clint Barton is often called 'Cupid' by Hulk, Hulk is referred to as 'Jade Jaws,' and Bruce Banner is often referred to as 'babe.'
- Skirt Wearing Bruce Banner: Bruce Banner is sometimes Queered by placing him in a skirt.
- rebel yell (in my house on the hill there is room for you still) by vulpesvortex. Clint clicked and opened another page, and then another. "Oh fuck." He stared at the page, blinking hard three times, but the headline Gay Cowboy Avenger? stayed stubbornly emblazoned all over his laptop screen. (In which Clint has a farm, saves a mouse, accidentally gets outed by the media, and pines over one Bruce Banner.)
- The Sorites Paradox by quomores. Bruce is good at nuclear physics, but bad at Clint. Luckily, he's also a genius; he can figure this out.
- In The Details by Nonymos. Being a hero with no superpowers kind of sucks. Clint Barton feels out of place in the Avenger Tower; Hawkeye feels out of place in his Brooklyn apartment. It's not hell though. He's got friends on both sides of his life, and he never gets bored. Still – there's this deep loneliness inside him that nothing can seem to cure. After the whole Loki business, both sides of Clint feel a little out of step, and he tries to avoid aliens and giant monsters and world crisis in a whole. Problem is, he's not the only one to exist on several scales. And who better than Bruce Banner to teach someone about dual nature.
- The Care and Feeding of Lost Causes by maskedfangirl. “You’re a former hermit with a history of depression and an alter ego who smashes buildings, and somehow you’ve found a person who gets you out interacting with the world. Trust me on this: hold onto him as hard as he will let you.”
- Trust by Neery. The Council wants the Hulk monitored 24/7. Fury can't tell them to go fuck themselves, but he can assign the one man the Council trusts even less than Bruce Banner. Clint's not thrilled to get stuck on babysitting duty, and Bruce would be glad to get rid of his guard, but for now, they're both determined to make the best of a bad situation. Somehow, two guys who didn't expect to have much in common end up learning to trust each other.
- The Devil in Me by ironspy. After the Manhattan invasion, Clint Barton is just about holding it together.
- with a Shotgun Hulkeye by snowwinter486.
- The Runner and the Lover by hotterhatter2211.
- ClintxBruce Fire and Whispers by Amberspirit11.
Archives and Fannish Links
The vibrancy of this ship is kept alive through its tight-knit community:
- whereevenismyliferightnow  takes prompts.
- Adenil  takes prompts.
- bruvebanner  is the source of many of the fanon interpretations of Bruce Banner and Clint Barton.
- Bruce/Clint Masterpost an early masterpost of Bruce Banner/Clint Barton fan producers.