|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||obedience curse, brainwashing|
|See Also:||dub-con, AMTDI, mindfuck|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Mind control is a very popular trope in fanworks (and many canons).
In slash or ship fic that uses the trope, one part of the pairing is usually under the mental control of the other -- or is unable to resist orders from anyone, such as in Ella Enchanted AUs or fusions or "obedience curse" fics -- and the other part of the pairing figures this out and either helps the mindcontrolled character resist the urge to obey or takes advantage of them.
Mind Control in Canon
- Ella Enchanted
- Harry Potter: the Imperius Curse
- MCU: Loki's scepter in Thor and The Avengers, Kilgrave in Jessica Jones
- Roswell: Tess Harding can "mindwarp" peoples minds. This is often used as a plot device in Roswell fanfiction.
- Stargate: the Goa'uld
- Vampire Diaries/The Originals: Compulsion
- The Avengers Movieverse: Scream and Cry. Due to the immense damage he causes and their inability to contain him, S.H.I.E.L.D. decides the way to deal with Loki is to brainwash him to their cause.
- Harry Potter: Your Every Wish by Maya, slash, darkfic. Harry inadvertently obtains complete control over Draco.
- Hawaii Five-0: Kauoha ("to order or command") by ember_firedrake, slash. Danno is cursed with obedience.
- Merlin: Pull by Cori Lannam, slash. Features elements of mind control within a consensual sexual encounter.
- Star Trek AOS: War Games by seperis includes a secondary plot that involves mind control.
- Stargate SG-1: Sinner's Grove by saffronhouse, slash. Jack gets infected with a mindcontrolling parasite while trapped with Daniel. Ouch.
- Stargate Atlantis: Advantage by resonant, slash. McShep classic in which John hurts unless he's doing what Rodney wants. Rodney tries to resist.
- SGA: Operant Conditioning by Yin Again, slash. Aliens make obviously touch-averse John crave Rodney's touch. Rodney tries to be good.
- SGA: Dearest series by lavvyan, slash. ATA gene-holders like John are slaves, mindcontrolled into loving their masters. That's not enough for Rodney.
- SGA: Invisible Prisoner by dancinbutterfly, het and slash. John gets Goa'ulded and can only watch helplessly what the Goa'uld makes his body do and say and pretend. (Written for McShep Match Team Angst, 2007)
- SGA: The Sweep of Easy Wind by blackchaps, slash. John is an SGC prisoner under mind control as punishment for past crimes, Rodney tries to help.
- SGA: DADT, Damyata, Damyadvam by trinityofone, slash. Not only the military personnel but also all civilians who want to join the Atlantis expedition must consent to having a chip implanted in their brain that causes severe pain if they do or say anything queer.
- SGA: The Year of Jubilee by vain-glorious, gen. Ronon didn't join the expedition, but a few years later acquires and tries to return (to Atlantis) the mindcontrolled enslaved John.
- SGA: I See Skies Of Blue by in-wintertime. He puts his hand to back of Rodney's neck, feels the beads of sweat there and the sudden twitch of flesh beneath his fingertips, and says, "Weather bothering you, McKay?"
- Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: Lost in Translation by Helen, slash. Qui-Gon Jinn is temporarily brainwashed into thinking he's Obi-Wan's sex slave.
- Supernatural RPF: "Heavy Persuasion" (or untitled Jared/Jensen - hypnotism/mind control fic) by anonymous, slash. 36-part kinkmeme fill in which Jared uses hypnosis on an entirely unaware Jensen to coerce him into first relaxation, then sex, then a relationship.
- Teen Wolf: A Mask Of Skin and Bone by entangled now. Stiles had christened him 'The Puppeteer.' Which had struck him as kind of amusing at the time.