Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My!
|Title:||Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My!|
|Publisher:||Bill Hupe/New Leaf Publications/New Leaf Press|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My! is a gen multimedia anthology.
Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My! 1 was published in 1993 and contains 439 pages.
The art is by Vicki Brinkmeier, Anja Gruber, J.M. McClure, Juanne Michaud, Todd Parrish, Joy Riddle, and Zaquia Tarhuntassa.
Ding Dong the zine is done, the zine is done; ding dong the big fat zine is done!!
The house has landed and here you are, in Multimedia Land. Okay, okay. What else do you expect from someone who brings you a zine with a title like this? Why name it what we did? Why not? After all it has opened up all sorts of opportunities for those of you who sent in submissions (and you know who you are) , to give the zine a host of creative 'pet' names. Lions and Alleycats, or how about Lions and Sea Otters and Polar Bears and Koalas?
And speaking of all those fans who sent us submissions, thank you one and all for your hard work and patience as we struggled to get this monster to print. A very special thanks to Juanne Michaud for her wonderful cover. When we told her the theme of the zine and to use her imagination, we had no idea what the result would be. We love it Juanne!
There are already a few submissions for Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My.. .2 and we invite all of you out there get those creative juices flowing and add to the pile on the editor's desk.
As you follow the paper road from one page to the next, you will see that when we say multimedia, we mean it. There's more fandoms here than a field of poppies, or a village of munchkins, or a flock of flying monkees [sic]... Well, we think you get the point.So, what are you waiting for? You're wasting precious time! The sand is trickling through the hour glass. Turn the page, tap your ruby slippers together and say; There's no zine like Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My...
- Lobo, an Airwolf piece by Linda Knights (3)
- Charles Henry Moffett, poem by Teri Sarick (Airwolf) (26)
- Family Reunion by Sheila Paulson (The Real Ghostbusters) (27)
- "United We Stand" by Cindy Baker - script format (53 pages) (MacGyver) (38)
- Leia, poem by Melissa Mastoris (Star Wars) (90)
- The Raggedy Man by Sue Collines (Road Warrior) (91)
- Leapin' Lines by Teresa Sarick (multimedia/Quantum Leap) (111)
- The Animal's Supervisor's Ball, filk by Jane Mailander (multifandom) (112)
- Buckaroo the Bugaboo, poem by Andrew Alworth (Buckaroo Banzai) (113)
- Beyond My Grasp, poem by CarolMel Ambassador (Covington Cross) (162)
- A Soul So Rebellious by Todd Parrish (Star Wars) (163)
- The Journey Home, script form by Cindy Baker (Land of the Giants) (166)
- Stopping by the Sunshine Cab Co., poem by Teri Sarick (Taxi) (207)
- Chemistry by Fara Driver (Space Rangers) (208)
- Bespin Aftermath, poem by Melissa Mastoris (Star Wars) (235)
- Flux and Ebb, poem by Teri Sarick (Remington Steele) (236)
- Bonds by Jeannie McClure and Denyse Bridger (Equalizer) won a 1994 FanQ (237)
- Unbending Rigor by L.A. Carr (Kung Fu: The Legend Continues) (298)
- Free Spirit, poem by CarolMel Ambassador (Covington Cross)
- The Next Leap by Teri Sarick (Quantum Leap)
- ALLA-KA-WHOOPS, script form by J. Richard Laredo (Alf)
- The Rebels of Oz, filk to the tune of "If I Only Had a Brain," by Jane Mailander (Blake's 7) (344)
- Domino by CarolMel Ambassador (Star Wars) (351)
- Hero, poem by Melissa Mastoris (Star Wars) (352)
- Gemstone, poem and Metal by Melissa Mastoris (Sapphire and Steele) (352)
- Shopping Spree by Roberta Rogow (Are You Being Served?/She Wolf of London) (353)
- There is No Denial, poem by CarolMel Ambassador (Covington Cross) (357)
- To Whistle Up a Wind, script form by J. Richard Laredo (Fantasy Island)
- Shadows of Command, poem by C.J. Morgan (V) (382)
- Presenting a Sister, poem by Melissa Mastoris (Star Wars) (383)
- Maddie's Song by Sue Ann Sarick (Moonlighting/Miami Vice) (384)
- WHY? by Daley and Lucy Leung (Miami Vice) (405)
- A Vet's Work, poem by Melissa Mastoris (All Creatures Great and Small) (412)
- Web of Lies by Denyse Bridger, JM McClure (Kung Fu: The Legend Continues)
inside page from issue #1, Blake's 7 art for the filk "The Rebels of Oz," art by Juanne Michaud
Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My! 2 was published in 1994 and contains 260 pages.
- Harmless (Dark Shadows) (3)
- Beware of the God by Sheila Paulson (Real Ghostbusters/Magnum PI crossover) (4)
- The Dragon’s Fire (Raven/Highlander crossover) (51)
- One of Those Days (Dr. Who) (91)
- To Make a Difference (Quantum Leap) (92)
- Deadly Dreams (Land of the Giants) (94)
- Mind Games (Buckaroo Banzai) (116)
- Bat-wings (Batman) (157)
- Gotham (Batman) (158)
- Moonlight by Lisa H. Allen (X-Files) (159)
- A Double-Edged Sword by Cindy Rancourt (The Real Ghostbusters) (164)
- Mark Harris (Man From Atlantis) (176) (non-fiction)
- Scattered Brains (ALF) (177)
- Pride or Prejudice (Airwolf) (211)
- Necessary Deception (Airwolf) (229)
- The Legend (Robin of Sherwood) (242)
- Born To Win (Gunsmoke) (243)
- On the Brink by J. Karen Huff (MacGyver) (250)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 2
[Moonlight]: Moonlight" by Lisa H. Allen is a rather odd little vignette showcasing a dream from each of the agents. The dreams involve them having sex with each other, sublimated into odd fantasy imagery. Four and a half pages of medium-sized, dense type, with one pencil sketch at the end. 
Lions and Tigers and Zines Oh My! 3 was published in 1995 and contains 165 pages.
From an ad in The Monthly: "Includes FK by Calliope: when a woman is drawn to the remains of a burned out building, she encounters its lone inhabitant, a face that has haunted her in her dreams, and his name is LaCroix. An Equalizer story by Linda Knights -- McCall honors a plea for help, perhaps only to disprove the woman's claim that the enemy he may be searching for is a vampire. A Magnum P.I. story from Cindy Baker -- Rick's sister comes for a visit, desperate to lay certain ghosts from her past to rest. But ghosts don't blow up Ferraris."
- Momentary Surrender (Forever Knight) (1 page)
- Night Shade (Forever Knight) (7 pages)
- Angel (Forever Knight) (2 pages)
- Eye of the Storm (Originally printed in The Kostmayer Kronicles) (Equalizer) (12 pages)
- Creatures of the Night by Linda Knights (Equalizer) (22 pages)
- Birds in a Gilded Cage (Land Of The Giants) (12 pages)
- Dangerous Solution (Land Of The Giants) (2 pages)
- Chasing Quantum Shadows (PDF) by Diana Smith and Pat Dunn (Quantum Leap/Shadow Chasers) (18 pages)
- When the Dreams Stop (Airwolf) (16 pages)
- The Choice (Alien Nation) (8 pages)
- Ronnie by Cindy Baker (Magnum PI) (33 pages)
- Space Talk (Aliens 3) (3 pages)
- By Any Another Name (Man From Uncle/VR5) (8 pages)
- It Could Have Been A Donut Shop Called “Duncan Donuts” (Highlander/Pinkie & The Brain) (2 pages)
- other fandom content: X-Files, ST:TNG, Mission: Impossible
Lions and Tigers and Zines Oh My! 3.5 was published in 1996. It is a 91-page, digest-sized Equalizer/Highlander crossover novel called "Past Imperfect." The author is Lorraine A. Scherrer. The novel is a sequel to "A Different Path."
From the publisher: "This actually contains a story that is a sequel to a novella in issue #4. (Don't ask how we reversed the numbers! The explanation is longer than this fanzine!)"
Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My! 4 was published in 1996 and has 178 pages.
It contains two cartoons by Leah Rosenthal (X-Files and Star Trek: DS9).
From the editorial:
I want to lake this opportunity to apologize to anyone who may have submitted and then waited an agonizing length of time for my response for those in a few unforgivable instances who never heard back from 'ye old editor.' There is NO good excuse in spite of the serious ups and downs that I have experienced over the last few years, not to mention my innate lack of organizational skills, to leave an author hanging. In many cases I have had only Bill to thank for smoothing out such snags and keeping my reputation as an editor somewhat intact. Thank you, my friend. They say that half the battle is recognizing the bad habit, the other is to rise above it; Okay! Okay, I confess! I am clearly organizationally challenged and I need the fans/writers/artists to aid in my therapy. So, please, stick with me folks and send those submissions. Let's keep trying to pull together the best multimedia zine that we can together. Thanks to all of you who have continued to send submissions since the beginning in spite of my idiosyncratic tendency to push edits much too close to the print deadline another habit I am earnestly striving to change. Sigh!
A very special thanks to Linda Knights; my emergency typist and who along with Bill Hupe (who first provided me with a computer and taught me the basics in spite of my raging computer paranoia) continues to patiently answer my endless and frequently inane computer questions.
Here's hoping that you enjoy the efforts of all those who worked so hard to bring this issue to fruition.Until next time.
- A Tale of Two Cities (Real Ghostbusters/Batman and Robin) (1)
- The Flood by A.M. Walker (Starsky and Hutch) (19)
- An ALF in the Hand (15 pages) (Alf/X-Files) (27)
- Hopeless Task, poem by Heidi Manzone (The Fugitive) (42)
- A Different Path by Lorraine A. Scherrer (prequel to Past Imperfect in previous issue) (Equalizer/Highlander crossover) (43)
- Only One, poem by Vonne Shepard (Highlander) (87)
- Keeper by CarolMel Ambassador (Fantastic Journey) (88)
- Warped Reflections, script by Linda Knights (Jake & the Fatman) (91)
- Sealed Without a Kiss by Sheila Paulson (Real Ghostbusters) (135)
- Long Day by A.M. Walker (Starsky and Hutch) (160)
- The Last Boyscout, poem by Vonne Shepard (Due South) (162)
- To Take Thy Wings by Petra Berghofer (Batman Forever/The Shadow) (163)
- Hour of the Shadows by Birgit Staebler (Batman Forever/The Shadow) (174)
- A Lion is a Lion, poem by Vonne Shepard (multifandom) (178)
Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My! 5
Lions and Tigers and Zines, Oh My! 6