Banned From Argo
|Song Title:||Banned From Argo|
|External Links:||Banned From Argo Wikipedia article|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Origin: "Strictly for fun, this is a raunchy, boastful "fo'c'sle" chantey, based on an old ballad tune ("The Boston Burglar"), about the Enterprise crew on shore leave. Written almost overnight (after finding that we were one song short for a full-length album)..." 
One version of the song was included on the novelty album Dr. Demento's Hits from Outer Space and can currently be purchased as an mp3 from Amazon.com.
Different versions of the song have occasionally been used in comedy vids. In September of 2007, vidder glass_curtain used a version sung by the DeHorn Crew with Leslie Fish for a Torchwood vid.
An early Star Trek parody of the song, with Star Trek specific lyrics, was published in 1980 in Enterprise Incidents #8 in comic book form. Excerpts from the comic can be seen in the gallery below. In 1980, it was also made into a slide show by Kandy Fong, see Banned from Argo.
These are only the ORIGINAL verses. There about about 500 KNOWN verses now. You might be shot for uttering the words "Banned from" when it's your turn to pick songs at a filksing. They will kill you RAPIDLY, so that you're not able to get the whole title out as an official request. Even dead, your choice still applies . . .
In addition to the many added verses, there are also a number of parodies of the song. There are different versions of the song for every incarnation of Star Trek, as well several mocking the song's popularity. Many of these parodies were collected in the filk book The Bastard Children of Argo.
Leslie Fish Comments
Song I'm least proud of: "Banned From Argo", no contest! I wrote it to order, to fill in a four-minute shortage on the master tape when we were recording SOLAR SAILORS, and hoo- boy, do I ever regret it! The damned piece of fluff became damn-near as popular as "Hope Eyrie". It's inspired a horde of filk-variations (which Random Factors has collected into a book, gods help them), got asked for at every con for years until I got so heartily sick of it that I refused to sing it again, and now it's inspiring spin-offs too. Arrrgh! 
Some Thirty Years Later
Star Trek version of the song published in Enterprise Incidents #8, page 1
page 2 of the comic version in Enterprise Incidents #8
page 3 of the comic version in Enterprise Incidents #8
page 4 of the comic version in Enterprise Incidents #8
Leslie performing the song at Worldcon 2013. Photographer: Joseph Abbott. Photo uploaded with Leslie's permission. It was, according to one attendee, the "first time she sang Argo on the Enterprise."
- from the 1977 songbook for Solar Sailors
- Amazon.com, Banned From Argo (Explicit) Original release date November 12, 2002. Accessed November 21, 2008.
- Have Phaser, Will Travel "Banned from Argo": the music videos Posted September 27, 2008. Accessed November 21, 2008.
- Youtube, Torchwood - Banned from Argo (fanvid) Posted September 16, 2007. Accessed November 21, 2008
- Joe, Leslie Fish's "Banned from Argo" Posted December 01, 2007. Accessed November 21, 2008
- For example tablesaw's comment on Google+ banning pseudonyms: Banned From Google, 25 July 2011. (Accessed 25 July 2011)
- Table of contents for The Bastard Children of Argo, published by Random Factors, 2001.
- Leslie Fish
- Facecbook post accessed September 7, 2013.