Welcome to FanloreProject:Meta!
This project was created in order to add more info to Fanlore about meta as it relates to fandom. It was also created to be a place to brainstorm, add links, and hopefully be a place of enthusiasm and shared knowledge.
Please feel welcome to add to and edit this page. It is helpful to include a short description of your edits in the summary field below before you save the page. This allows easier navigation for others later.
- 1 What is Meta?
- 2 Scope
- 3 Some Guidelines
- 4 Some Things to Keep in Mind
- 5 One Editor's Thoughts Regarding Meta on Fanlore
- 6 Participants
- 7 History of the Project
- 8 Requests for Links or Pages
- 9 Animanga stuff
- 10 Genre-specific meta
- 11 Fandom-specific meta
What is Meta?
In fandom, meta is used to describe a discussion of fanworks of all kinds, fan work in relation to the source text, fanfiction characters and their motivations and psychology, fan behavior, or fandom itself.
Meta or a meta essay can also be a fan-authored piece of non-fiction writing that discusses any of the above topics.
The term is popular on personal blogs, such as LiveJournal and Dreamwidth. Different terms for this concept might be used in different fan communities, and in discussions dating from different time periods. If you aren't sure whether something you've encountered is meta, feel free to ask about it on the Talk Page!
Sample Pages and Sample Topics
- Pro Author Rants About Fans & Fanworks (see talk page)
- ship manifestos
- Fanfic Symposium
- fan analysis
- character analysis
- discussing the discussion
- discussion of fan trends and interactions
- is commentfic meta?
- glossary terms
- discussion about the sometimes differing definitions of meta
- fans' differing comfort levels regarding meta: does it make fun things too serious? too academic? too visible? too navel-gazing?
- how some fans are fonder of meta than other kinds of creative works
- the cross-pollination of meta and academic commentary, especially in the rise of the visibility and self-identification of the acafan
- personal blogs, for-profit blogs, non-profit blogs and their relationship to meta and/or traditional news media, the changing boundaries of these sorts of communication platforms
Some Possible Categories
- Meta Essays
- Category:Meta by Year
- Category:Meta Vids
- Category:Open Letters
- Category:Interviews by Fans (interviews with a focus of fans, or interviews conducted by fans of other fans)
- Category: Fanworks Defense & Support Meta (or a variation thereof)
Create stubs with reckless abandon. You may create new categories when you have or expect to have at least ten pages that fit within it (and the category fits within the existing site structure). Category titles should be plural, even if the word/phrase used to add it is singular. (See Help:Categories.)
If you are able, make redirects as needed so that people looking for familiar terms can find them.
The topic of meta doesn't include many images, but if you want to feature one on a page, upload it to Fanlore rather than hosting on an external website. It's okay to do this even if the image isn't included on a page, although it'd be better to at least create a stub with a link to the picture. Examples could include examples of table of contents, the first page of a print meta essay (used to demonstrate font and style), splash pages of websites, and screencaps from vids.
Some Things to Keep in Mind
- Information for new editors is here. Among other things, it explains how to make an account, how to start a new page, and includes a lot of other helpful information.
- Discussion on this page's talk page is encouraged, as is discussion on individual topic talk pages.
- All edits, whether big tiny, or in-between, are welcome.
- You don't have to be an "expert" on a subject. Adding what you know and feel passionate about are pieces of the puzzle, and ones that hopefully inspire others to expand on the topic.
- All typos, mistakes, and errors are easily corrected. Don't let perfection hobble you.
- Remember that Fanlore, like all wikis, is a collaborative effort, and may be edited by anyone.
- Pages are not "owned" or controlled by any single person or group of people.
- Pages and the information on them are only as robust, encompassing, and accurate as the information added by interested and enthusiastic fans like you.
- Fanlore practices and encourages a Fanlore:Plural Point of View.
One Editor's Thoughts Regarding Meta on Fanlore
- MPH ( talk page)
- enchantedsleeper (talk page)
- Hoopla (reachable via talk page or the discord server linked in my profile)
- Jae (talk page)
- Gem (talk page)
- Goddess47 (talk page)
- Bikedancelaugheat (talk page)
- caes (talk page)
- Please add yourself!
History of the Project
- This project was started on February 1, 2018, as one of the first few Fanlore Projects.
Requests for Links or Pages
Do you know of a meta essay that you think needs a page?
Do you know about a website that has a lot of meta essays?
Do you think a topic or site or a glossary term should be a page or a section on Fanlore but isn't?
Add links below to these subjects as a road map for you, or for others. When/if an editor makes a page for it, the link can be removed from here.
- http://bennie.tvheaven.com/metafic.html investigate this
- frith in thorns
- Um. Okay. Um. Okay.
- "original slash" rec and discussion of this term "original slash" rec and discussion of this term
- Het fanfic question Het fanfic question
- women, porn, society, feminism, teal deer. women, porn, society, feminism, teal deer.
- Canon, subtext, slash, het in canon... Canon, subtext, slash, het in canon...
- Sex, sex, sex, genderfuck, sex; YMMV Sex, sex, sex, genderfuck, sex; YMMV
- talking amongst ourselves... talking amongst ourselves...
- Meta in the snow Meta in the snow
- A Plea to Fandoms -- Stop Erasing the Women! A Plea to Fandoms -- Stop Erasing the Women!
- What is a Mary Sue and How to Fix Them? What is a Mary Sue and How to Fix Them?
- Laura Valentine Laura Valentine
- I used to think I was tired of het ships, but… I used to think I was tired of het ships, but…
- Existential Scoobies series Existential Scoobies series
- History of Xena Fan Fiction on the Net The History Of Xena Fan Fiction On The Net, October 1998 History of Xena Fan Fiction on the Net
- Some late night relflections on slash, gay men, gender, etc. Some late night relflections on slash, gay men, gender, etc.
- What is slash? What is slash? (2003) comments page 1; comments page 2, comments page 3, comments page 4, comments page 5, comments page 6, comments page 7
- so much early meta here
- many Metafandom links
- On Experiencing a Work as a Fan, and What Makes a Good Basis for a Fandom
- Welcome to My House. C'mon In. (Commentary vs. Community: The Guest Blogger)
- Beyond Subtext: When Observation Becomes Expectation
- Some thoughts on LiveJournal, not all entirely related.
- Defriending is the greatest crime!
- On disability, ability, abnormalcy, normalcy, desire, and everyday life.
- a rant on shipping, and on being constrained when presenting information in fandom newsletters
- Fandom, Writing, and Published Authors
- Feedback, Critique, and That Entitlement Thing
- Serenity and Firefly and...stuff
- What constitutes a "gen" fic?
- The one that hooked you
- On POV and context of clips
- A personal history of anime and manga (the culture shock side)
- relating to some of the claims made in recent rants by "original" fiction authors about the evils of fanfiction
- Reading vs. Reading
- On canonicity, slash and homophobia in BtVS and AtS.
- feedback, getting replies to
- Let's Talk About Kinks, Baby!
- Stitch's Media Mix - a huge collection of interesting meta essays about fandom, tropes, race and queer issues. I've already made a page for the site itself, but help making pages for the individual essays would be hugely appreciated (see the page for red links)
- some thoughts on manpain. um. many thoughts on manpain, actually. some thoughts on manpain. um. many thoughts on manpain, actually. Create links from Manpain, The Price (multifandom vid)
- This Vagabond Fandom Life This Vagabond Fandom Life
- one of my all time favorite things is the handling of interspecies relationships in fanfiction. (archive)
- Fandom Purity Theory (archive) Fandom Purity Theory
- small queer press author frustration with fans not knowing they exist (archive) Jul-Sept 2016
- meta in comic form (archive) by incendavery (Jan 2019)
- fandom + linguistics by angelmojo/jjonghyun (June 2012 ) and shadowen (Sept 2014)
- “Bandom Ate My Face”: The Collapse of the Fourth Wall in Online Fan Fiction 28 Oct 2014
In Defence of Fanworks/Fanfiction Meta Essays
- I'm done explaining why fanfic is okay. (I know we have a page already, but I'd like to flesh it out a bit)
- In Defense of Fanfiction: Guestblogger Justin Goes Robin Hobbnobbing
- Fanfiction: A Rant Before We Begin
- Thoughts, Archived version on why fanfiction is superior to commercial romance (and some other thoughts on fandom) (1 June 2016)
- Let's talk about fanfic.
- I don’t care what anyone else says–writing fanfiction is goddamned educational., Archived version I don’t care what anyone else says–writing fanfiction is goddamned educational. (dinovia-grant, 7 April 2016)
- Ngl actually one of the coolest things is reading fic by someone who is super knowledgeable about a specific field, Archived version Ngl actually one of the coolest things is reading fic by someone who is super knowledgeable about a specific field (buckyballbearing/eye-of-orion/cryogenia, 28 Oct 2015)
Translation, transliterating, romanization, honorifics, and the use of Japanese in fanfiction
- TVTropes has a page
- would you be able to explain to me the difference between the suffixes -sama and -dono? archive
- Is it "sempai" or "senpai"? archive
- Japanese pronounsarchive
- use of honorifics as meaning in bnha (archive)
Discussions about the use of japanese/honorifics
- 2004 - FP
- 2008 - LJ (trying to figure out who uses what in Naruto)R
- 2009 - FFN
- 2010 - LJO
- 2012 - TVT, T (archive),  (archive),  (archive)
- 2015 - aca
- 2016 - RRRRR
- 2017 - RR
- 2018 - RRR
- Tokyo Ghoul:    (archive)
- Boku no Hero Academia: Fan theory that has issues with how Viz's translation affected the characterization of Endeavor
- TTGL, Shimon vs Simon
- KHR, Shimon vs Simon
- BNHA, Ochako vs Ochaco
- BNHA, Shouto vs Shoto
- Yuri on Ice, Victor vs Viktor and Yuri vs Yuuri
- The entirety of Hunter x Hunter's cast.
- Final Fantasy VII, Aerith vs Aeris
- I want a superhero movie where the hero dies in the first ten minutes and the woman who was supposed to be the love interest puts on his costume and becomes an even better hero., Archived version (chekov-in-a-dress, 10 May 2014)
- at least one follow-up in HI HELLO DO YOU REALISE THAT AGENT CARTER IS ACTUALLY THE THING WE HAVE BEEN WISHING FOR THE MAN HERO (“DIES”) TO GENERATE MANPAIN AND HIS (“LOVE INTEREST”) BECOMES THE HEROINE LIKE IDK WHAT TO TELL YALL THIS IS IT, Archived version (romanovah/biologybutch, 7 Jan 2015)
- Created stubs
Naruto meta is being collected here