The Ms.Scribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography
|Title:||The Ms.Scribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography|
|Date(s):||June 15, 2006|
|External Links:||table of contents; archived copy|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The exposé was thoroughly researched and incorporated evidence collected by many fans, not just the author of the work.
Charotte Lennox wrote: "The first draft was a mere narrative, much shorter than this, without links, quotes, or screencaps. When I showed it to people, the response was flattering, and many urged me to make it public. The more people I showed it to, the more information I got in return (just as has happened on the Bad_Penny community), and I ended up with a much fuller and more complete account than I had any idea of when I started." 
A year after the essay was posted, Charlotte Lennox continued to update her entry through multiple "Afterwords" as she received or uncovered new or clarifying information. Previous chapters were also edited to correct or update the entries. The last update was in February 2007.
These pages include brief descriptions and links to each chapter and their comments.
- The Background
- Msscribe Enters the Fandom
- Msscribe Conquers All
- Msscribe Suffers a Setback
- Msscribe Battles Gryffindor Tower
- Msscribe in the Aftermath
- Msscribe Settles In for the Long Haul
- Msscribe Survives Challenges
- Msscribe Leaves the Fandom
- Msscribe Returns
- The Afterwords
Through her many pseudonyms, she was a direct instigator of, or key participant in, a significant percentage of the drama within Harry Potter fandom during the period 2003-2004, especially among het shipper communities -- fans who support the idea of heterosexual romances between particular characters.
Charlotte Lennox speculates that Msscribe was motivated by a desire to become friends with Harry Potter BNFs (a goal she achieved), "But I think the real driver for her was her love for verbal combat, her zest for blood in the online water."
Charlotte Lennox drew on many different types of evidence to tell her story: IP addresses; screencaps of websites, posts, and comment threads; inconsistencies in the fangirl socks' backstories; the timing of various posts and account creation; and an analysis of probable motives.
- Fangirl socks included Clarabella21, Sarahkjames , and Davis_517, who all doted on Msscribe. Clarabella was later retconned as Msscribe's live-in nanny and could therefore "confirm" statements Msscribe made about her offline life.
- Troll socks (usually Christian) included Fermatojam, Killiganhashope, Pottersginny, Watchful_Entity, Fandom_Scruples , Danitoba47, and various anonymous commenters.
- Other socks included Sporkify ; karma_bitch; and HGempress, the creator of the parody community gt_hidden_room.
- March 2003: Fermatojam's Big Name Sinners list 
- August 2003: Watchful_entity
- January 2004: Fandom_Scruples probably got the most widespread attention.
Trolls Fermatojam and Pottersginny were also set up as members of Gryffindor Tower  (a Harry/Ginny shipper archive) to make Gryffindor Tower look bad; Msscribe's friends were not on good terms with the Gryffindor Tower community, partly due to the 2001 StalkerGate incident. Msscribe also created gt_hidden_room, apparently to fan the flames of the Gryffindor Tower mods' impotent rage, and accused a real Gryffindor Tower mod of using Killiganhashope as his sockpuppet.Charlotte writes about the reactions to Pottersginny's outrageously racist remarks:
To my astonishment, no one in Msscribe's circle seems to have found this particularly shocking or unbelievable. They seemed to think that it was perfectly conceivable that a frothing racist religious nut of Pottersginny's ilk might fit in perfectly well in a Harry Potter fanfiction community. Apparently the GTers had isolated themselves from the fandom so well that people would believe anything of them.
Charlotte Lennox details how many Harry Potter fans were affected by Msscribe's activities. Individual fans who were involved in Msscribe-generated wanks didn't always enjoy them as much as Msscribe did. Of particular note is Gryffindor Tower, which had its reputation dragged through the mud because everyone believed that they supported Fermatojam and Pottersginny. In March 2005, Charitywank, escalated by Msscribe and her suspected anonymous troll sock, descended into vicious attacks on a scale never before seen on Fandom Wank. Charitywank lives on in infamy.
Msscribe also made false claims about herself that generated sympathy among her friends and sometimes provided her with an alibi:
- She was hospitalized for an acute condition in March 2003.
- Fermatojam hacked into her computer, and she reported him to the police and got him arrested.(The "arrested" bit was apparently added later.)
- She lost her job because of fandom (blamed on Gryffindor Tower mods).
Meanwhile, Angua9 and Dianora (mods at the Sugar Quill archive) and the Gryffindor Tower mods gathered IP addresses and figured out that Msscribe was a puppeteer. Initially, Gryffindor Tower accepted Msscribe's claim that both Clarabella and Fermatojam were real, that Clarabella was the sockpuppeteer and had later "hacked" into Fermatojam's account, and that the IPs matched because Clarabella lived with Msscribe; further investigation disproved this version of events. But Gryffindor Tower was not believed when they posted their discoveries in June 2003. In March/April 2004, Angua sent a long email to Heidi with detailed evidence, but she wasn't believed either. Charlotte notes that when Gryffindor Tower closed later in the year for unrelated reasons, the IP evidence from the Gryffindor Tower site was lost.
Reception of "The Ms.Scribe Story"
The Ms.Scribe Story was read and linked widely in LiveJournal fan communities during June and July of 2006. It spread beyond Harry Potter fandom and was even noticed by non-fannish sites. The story was so long, included so many pieces of evidence, and referenced so many different Harry Potter events and people (not just the sockpuppets) that many fans remarked that they were hopelessly confused. However, as a narrative, The Ms.Scribe Story was well-written and made for an entertaining read. People who were not personally affected by the revelations were astonished and fascinated by the antics of Msscribe. Joking comments were made about the ratio of sockpuppets to real people in the Harry Potter fandom.
While The Ms.Scribe Story is now almost universally considered highly credible, initially there were some skeptics. At the time, Msscribe still had many friends in fandom, and some people pointed to inaccuracies or lack of definitive evidence for some of Charlotte's claims. Furthermore, Msscribe had been accused of sockpuppetry before, but the accusers had not been believed, so it was thought that someone was simply rehashing old wank. However, the wide dissemination of the story allowed various individuals to come forward with further evidence, and many readers reported back that they had been able to independently verify many of the claims.
Msscribe's actions, the fanwork itself, the identity of the author (still unknown), and related issues were discussed all over Livejournal. For examples, see oulangi's Link Spam (posted June 18th, 2006) and metafandom's June 21, 2006 links.
Impact of "The Ms.Scribe Story"
Four addendums were posted, detailing additional information that had surfaced and the reactions of the key players in the drama.
Many people who had been friends with Msscribe were very upset. The revelations about Msscribe also seemed to create a domino effect, as the behavior and motives of other people were called into question. Meanwhile, many apologized to the much maligned Gryffindor Tower crew.
With The Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle , posted in August to bad penny, added to the mix, many readers outside of the fandom concluded that Harry Potter fandom was ridiculously wanky. However, some Harry Potter fans noted that their corners of the fandom had been unaffected by Msscribe's antics. Victoria P wrote:
It's really easy to talk about how batshit insane HP fandom is - and again, in some segments it is - but I've been in the fandom - if it can be called *one* fandom - for three years now, and while I've seen some nastiness and some wank directly, it's no more so than any of the other fandoms I've been in, and considering XMM, BtVS, and SV, I'd say it's been considerably less at this end of the fandom.
Shortly after the Mssribe essay was posted, some fans attempted to summarize the events with literary analogies:[...] before last week I had no idea who Msscribe was nor recognized the pseud, and I have been in HP fandom for years now. I mean, I noticed some of the wanks mentioned peripherally, e.g. that Gryffindor Tower disappeared because I sometimes read Harry/Ginny, but I don't follow f_w and most of the time not even metafandom, so I'm not usually aware of the kerfuffle of the day. Which might not be a bad thing to make my fandom experience more pleasant, but sometimes makes me feel like I'm in some other fandom entirely.
Some of Msscribe's Comments Following the Posting of "The Ms.Scribe Story"
MsScribe confessed to nothing publicly and maintained radio silence for many months. In the end, Msscribe maintained that Clarabella was a real person even in her final comments, but by this time she had admitted to a few of the other sockpuppets.
Msscribe's comments:On October 12, 2006, she posted:
All my apologies are belong to you. [snipped]
Did I read all the BP stuff? (Nah, I’m not linking to it. I’m sure you can find it on your own.) I won’t lie. I didn’t. I read the beginning of it, cringed, cut off the computer, and went back into my home turf. Could I have handled things differently? Yeah, but hindsight is twenty–twenty, right? Is it all true? No. Not by a long shot. I’m not going to go point to point on this thing. One, I don’t have the time, and Two, I think people have seen way too much TMI regarding my person and it has to stop somewhere, right? Also, those of you who know me know that it takes me two years to write something that’s fifty thousand words, so my response would come in 2008 and I don’t think by then people would much care. Basically my peeps know what’s up. A manipulating mastermind? Nah, I’m not that smart OR that organized. So if you believe it all, then I wish you well. Is some of what those people said true? This took longer for me to even admit to myself, but, yeah. I was a real cunt to the GT people and you know, after years of distance I wish I would have done things differently. I really did believe the things I said I did back then. Do I now? Nah. But I understand the anger, and it’s probably well deserved.
For that, I’m deeply sorry.
I also wish you nothing but the best, seriously, no fannish bullshit behind it either. I’ve been out of fandom for a long time and I’m happy that way so no worries regarding all of that. tartanboxersand [sic] ladymaidmarian, especially. Y’all are decent folk and good mamas, which in this day and age is worthy of a little respect. I still think Imogen is crazy, though, but shit, we all are aren’t we? I mean, we’re a bunch of grownups who used to write fanfic involving Harry Potter. Crazy is like a fucking prerequisite.
I also want to take the time to apologize to sapphsmum. I really had no clue she was in the hospital, and I was assured that she was a scammer. Hell, I thought that up until a couple of weeks ago when I finally swallowed my damn pride, did some digging, and discovered that no, she was indeed very ill. I made a donation to her fund this morning and I hope she gets better. It sucks to be that sick. It tires your body and weighs on your soul and even though I’m pretty agnostic, if you’re a believer than pray she gets better. Seriously? I was really, really wrong about this.
I'm sorry for a lot of things, and I truly wish I could change them but I can't. All I can do is apologize. So basically, love to you all. Keep wanking, keep writing, and keep laughing. Also, can y’all lay off of Heidi? Do you know how much she LOVES this fandom. All she wants to do is make it a fun playground for folks, and she tires herself out giving her time and energy to this place. Cool? Cool. And Cassie, like it or not is one of our own, and we should rejoice when one of our own makes it. I’m so proud of her. And those who know her know how hard she worked on this book.Hey Charlotte, girl, you got my name right! You wouldn’t believe how many people fuck that up. <3. Dionne 
Reactions to this apology are here.
Then, on August 15, 2007, almost a full year later, Msscribe posted another entry in her LJ describing how Clarabella, who was living with her at the time as her informal nanny and home care aide, had manufactured many of the sockpuppett accounts. The entry was written at Clara's request in order to exonerate Msscribe. Msscribe explained that she had no knowledge of Clara's activities and felt betrayed:
Although it doesn’t matter much anymore, Clara asked that I write this up. (Oh, didn't Charlotte tell you that she was real? Nanea used to talk to her on the phone. Also to me. We sound different. Also, you know, when I was hospitalized Nanea talked to her because I was incapable of it. ) Frankly, I don’t think this post is all that necessary but here it goes. I was never going to post this and Clara didn't want me to but she has since changed her mind since this whole thing has put a strain (for her) on our friendship. This whole Bad Penny thing has done me a lot of good, though. I’m sure this wasn’t their intention, but it has. I’ll explain later.
In the beginning (In know, I know, a little Biblical but bear with me) I was in a car accident. I had a head injury. The oldest was only 6 months old and so we got my neighbor’s younger cousin who had come to visit a few times to care for her (and me) during my recovery. Think I’m vying for sympathy here? Read back to me the number of posts I’ve made detailing this part of my past in the last 6 years. Like four, maybe?
So yeah, I didn’t meet Clara on the web. We totally got online together and SarahKJames? Her college roommate (A funny chick who I’d love to get back in contact with) would come with her for weekends at my house. They’d do laundry. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Clara isn’t her real name. We gave the fake name to Carissa Lynn because she was a cunt to Clara and Clara thought she might try to do something regarding her in school. Sarah was in art school and eventually went on to do something in Real Estate. No, she wasn’t 36. We made that up. She was gay, though, and after she moved in with her girlfriend we didn’t hear much from her. She stopped posting.Don’t you just love the Internet?
MsScribe also stated that if the fans who tried to alert her to Clara's behavior had been nicer, she would not have been so blindly loyal to Clara:
Also, I didn't want to admit that the grumbly chicks at GT were actually right. But they were. They caught on waaay before this and I remained loyal and stubborn. But seriously, maybe if they'd been nicer. You thought that I made people loathe you? HA! Y'all did a pretty damn good job of that all on your own. 
Msscribe's post was a repeat of a series of earlier posts and emails by her and Clarabella in May 2003 where they both revealed that Clara had been the one behind the sockpuppets and was a good friend who made "bad decisions." The 2007 post quickly became a topic of discussion at Fandom Wank. 
However numerous other fans weighed in, with the majority of contributors, both named and anonymous, expressing doubts as to the truth of the events as described by Msscribe. Msscribe also appeared in the fandom wank discussion thread to further clarify her statements which in turn led one fan to quip:
On August 17, 2007, Msscribe posted:"Subject - I thought it was Colonel Mustard. So, it was the nanny, in the upstairs bedroom, with the anonymizer?"
On August 18, 2007: Msscribe posted:I'm sorry. [snipped]
But the truth is I DO give a shit. I AM sorry. I am really, really fucking sorry. If I could go back and figure this shit out and fucking listen to the GT people instead of putting blind faith in someone who I still love, but who frankly dicked me over then I would. If I could not be an asshole on the internet and mock someone who I thought was faking a serious illness, but actually wasn't faking, I would. I would. I would do a lot of things differently.
I've been really lucky, in spite of this, to have met some great people and I forget that they hurt as much (if not more) than I do. I've lost a friend, someone who I really loved, and yeah, this is wanky, but now after knowing all of this shit I don't think things will be the same. She lived with me, she cared for me and my children, and she was part of my fucking family and now I can't even have a conversation with her without the pain of all of this.
I'm shaking, now. Sorry if my spelling is bad or I'm not being apologetic enough.But I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry Amy, and Katie and everyone else. I'm so sorry for fueling this up again. I really felt like I had to say something, anything, and I was hurting and I guess the FW people would call it Karma. Yep, I guess that is what it is. Screencap it, mock away, and laugh about it. 
I'm sorry. I feel like shit for everything that the GT's went through,and for everything that my friends went through, and I would give anything to make things go differently. I didn't listen to them and I was a cunt, and I'm paying for it now. It was because I wanted to believe they were all a bunch of assholes. I'm sorry for not believing Sapphsmum was really sick, I am, and I'm sorry for being such a complete cunt to people who didn't deserve it. I'm sorry for coming here and snarking but I was angry and sad. I'm no one special. I'm just a fucking housewife with two kids and I fucking wear braces. My life is tragically normal, and I'd never do anything to hurt anyone in real life in spite of my semi-threat of having information. I swear that Charlotte's real name would never EVER in a million years come from me, and I never reported anyone. Not that that means much anymore, but there it is. 
Msscribe as a Subject of Fanworks
"(Original composed and performed by Ann Hampton Callaway, filked by nyoda)
- She was working(and not fighting with the Tower Queens)
- When a cruel impersonator caused some crushing scenes.
- Everyone deceived; only she believed in the stalker uncanny...
- So over the Net from her house to the HP door,
- Where she screamed about stalkers to her friends galore.
- She still swears 'bout au pairs; no one cares
- The guilty girl's the Nanny!
- Who would have guessed that the girl we've described,
- Was once notoriously known as MsScribe?
- Oh, her friends found her bemusing (watch out, CC!).
- And Fandom Wank amusing (where can that bra be?).
- Ms'll only reveal your secrets to two or three souls;
- It's all about the Nanny!...or so says the troll!
"[set to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back"]
- My nanny's back, gonna save my reputation
- (Hey la, hey la, my nanny's back)
- When you see her posting, know she's only posing
- (Hey la, hey la, my nanny's back)
- You've been spreadin' stories that I was a sock
- (Hey la, hey la, my nanny's back)
- So look out now, I'm not under that rock
- (Hey la, hey la, my nanny's back)"
- "Dreaming of being BNF,
- Making up new socks every night and day,
- And she never lost one minute on sleeping
- 'Cause she could do much more trolling that way.
- Fake trolls keep on flaming.
- MsScribe just keeps on blaming.
- Wanking, wanking, wanking in the forums."
In 2006, bookshop commented that someone should write "RPF" involving Charlotte Lennox and Mina de Malfois. Someone obliged and on June 26, 2006 cesario posted her two part At Her Grace's Behest. It shipped Mina/The Archivist and Mina and Charlotte but, as the author put it, "In a...Mina kind of way."
There even was a ficlet told from the POV of the man who was "framed" for being Fermatojam:"I would have to win Arc back. And I would start by putting Her Grace well and truly in her place. I logged into my Sanguinity account with shaking hands, but firm resolution of mind. I was keenly aware that it would not do to underestimate this Charlotte Lennox. If Sockpuppetgate had proven anything, other from the fact that some people simply have too much time on their hands, it was that the self-styled Duchess of Richmond was too clever by half. However, I myself am no slouch in matters mental, and I fancy that I can be quite cunning at times, although it must be confessed that my best plans usually evolved after close consultation with Arc. But I always say that a BNF who cannot stand on her own two feet is hardly deserving of the title. I write my stories myself, to paraphrase a song by Stevie Nicks. And that makes me stronger."
A fanmix was created, using song titles as a letter to Msscribe:"Why did they pick him for their frame job? No way to know. Only now is he starting to recognize the signs, the trademarks of the hand behind all this. Sometimes he wants to give up, but he knows there's a woman out there who believes in him – even after all this. She says she'll clear his name. He's never been a man who could put all his faith in a woman, but then, he's never been set up for a crime he didn't commit. Times are changing."
"An open letter to Whoever You Really Are, aka Ms Scribe:
Everybody Knows the truth now, and it would serve you well to apologise to those whom you hurt the most. In the end, they will still want to Crucify you, but it is well deserved, and you need to step up to the proverbial plate.It's a Wild World out there, and you clearly couldn't hack it, so instead you came splashing into fandom with lies and fake friends and enemies to put some Brass In Pocket, to get an 'in' with the Big Guns (TM), because you think you're special; you think You're A Star. Maybe you could have been. For real. But now you will never know for sure, because you have turned fandom Upside Down. Now we know that there was Something Going On, and clearly what you needed was not the adoration of those whom you claimed to admire, but Help.
And then there were more LOTR parodies:
- "One sock to troll them all,
- One sock to blame them
- One sock to sing her praise
- And on the wank comms name them."
By 2009, fans were composing poems to the saga. An excerpt from one:
The essay has been recommended numerous times on successor platforms such as tumblr and twitter:
- We who were supposed
- to have one eyebrow cocked,
- quietly skeptical,
- Instead took all at
- face-value, believing in
- honesty...online?" 
[Tumblr]"....I’m reccing the msscribe story because it’s honestly one of the best, if not most memorable fandom reads I’ve experienced. Engaging, funny and completely unbelievable - I mean, w o w. This unravels like a flipping Scorsese film. Ok maybe that’s a stretch, but there is definitely a touch of the hollywood ludicrous present and even ignoring the raw hilarity derived from the disturbing lesson in what happens when fandom investment goes wrong big-time - the pure snarky arch of the tellers voice is like butter on the tongue. I wasn’t involved in hp fandom at all during the period covered so I shan’t deny there isn’t an element of whatever it is that makes you gorp at a road accident for longer than is social acceptable for non-sociopaths, but there is also no denying how enthralling this tale is. It offers a small (be it one-sided) window into the past and heyday of the hp fandom, one I’m perhaps naively envious of. (I don’t know, I just don’t think they make wank like this anymore.) So indulge your nostalgia like our generation purportedly loves as much as compulsive self-documentation, with this impressively committed account of fandom legend that has all the gloss of something greater."
[Twitter]"Oh my god, msscribe. I did a report on her sockpuppeting for a social media class."
By 2014, fans were role playing the Msscribe Saga on tumblr. Accounts were created in the names of msscribe, fermatojam, no1msscribefan (the account header reads "All the variations of "babygrrrl" were taken"), epi-cyclical ("I had to get creative with hyphens") and heidi-8.
Among the exchanges:
[mssscribe]: "...Stop impersonating me or else I will get my lawyer husband and heidi to take you to court for libel."
[no1msscribefan]: "....You both are SO MEAN. MsScribe is an amazing fanfiction writer and HP community who doesn’t need this kind of additional trauma in her life. [insert link for MsScribe fansite]."
[fermatojam]: "....MSSCRIBE (THAT’S WITH TWO S’S MIND YOU) IS A FIREBREATHING HEATHEN. MAY SHE BURN ETERNALLY IN HELL."
- lying awake in the garden; WebCite, by musesfool, June 16, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by oulangi, “Personally, as someone who watched these sagas unfold from the sticky peanut gallery of fandom wank, I never quite *got* msscribe.” June 16, 2006
June 17, 2006:
- a ride in the fandom wayback machine; WebCite, by alchemine, June 17, 2006
- A walk down HP memory lane; WebCite, by lyore, June 17, 2006
June 18, 2006:
- "A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on"; WebCite, by Narcissa Malfoy, June 18, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by oulangi, “I think it's the first time since who knows when a million fan voices suddenly cried out: "whaaaa... the fuck?!"” June 18, 2006
- take 18; WebCite, by story, June 18, 2006
- Fandom’s Best Five Years Ever!; WebCite, by sparkly stuff, June 18, 2006
June 19, 2006:
- This is probably the most difficult post I've made here on LJ in a long time, if ever.; page one; WebCite, page two; WebCite, page three; WebCite, by heidi8, June 19, 2006
- untitled, WebCite, by oulangi, “We're nearing the home stretch in this edramaganza, and the shock seems to have rippled right across all fandoms.” June 19, 2006
- Fandom Nostalgia; WebCite, by suaine] June 19, 2006
- untitled: “Heidi just admitted she has been dupedd by MsScribe.”; WebCite, by doctoraicha, June 19, 2006
- After one whole quart of brandy, like a daisy I'm awake...; WebCite, by nmalfoy, June 19, 2006
- Re. ancient wank that's being dredged up.; WebCite, by nmalfoy, June 19, 2006
- Allow me to beat a metaphor to death for a moment...; WebCite, by finisterre, June 19, 2006
- Ponderings on fandom, lying, BNFdom and trust; WebCite, misscam, June 19, 2006
June 20, 2006:
- Charlotte Lenox as a writer of historical narrative; WebCite, by cordelia v, June 20, 2006
- The Curtain Falls on MsScribe (and other randomositites); WebCite; by mudblood428, June 20, 2007
- my prouncnement re community and ethics and responsibility and all that; WebCite, by aubrem, June 20, 2006
- On the Machiavellian machinations of a so-called fan; WebCite, by amihan 811, June 20, 2006
- My humble post on the drama; WebCite, by ryf, June 20, 2006
- Church of the Fannish Mind; WebCite, by rj anderson, June 20, 2006
- Dear Fandom, ; WebCite, by veracity, June 20, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by cleolinda, "Just as a coda to the Charlotte Lennox thing, we have at least two confirmations of some of the skullduggery." June 20, 2006
- What use Fandom?, page 1; WebCite, page 2; WebCite, by Ivy Blossom, June 20, 2006
- On history, mockery, and the use of evidence; WebCite by thelastgoodname, June 20, 2006
- Observation from the margin; WebCite, by vehemently, June 20, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by telesilla, “We all want to be liked." June 20, 2006
- The other kind of meta-fandom; WebCite, by mawaridi, June 20, 2006
- Astounding; WebCite, by stoney321, June 20, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by Seema, “Some Trek friends and I have been reminincising about days of yore on the newsgroup, when the cult of personality wasn't quite strong…” June 20, 2006
- he thought he was the smartest guy around; WebCite, by tangle of thorns, June 20, 2006
- It’s just riveting – more fandom thoughts; WebCite, by suzannemarie, June 20, 2006
- Open letter to Heidi8 in re: MsScribe cross posted from heidi's own journal comments; WebCite, by doctoraicha, June 20, 2006
- Fandom Forever; WebCite, by watermelon20204, June 20, 2006
- Literary reference of the day, page 1; WebCite, page 2, WebCite, by zoepaleologa, June 20, 2006
- I Don’t Understand People!, WebCite, by jocelyncs, June 20, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, post by mad maudlin at Fanthropology, June 20, 2006
June 21, 2006:
- ….in which it makes a thousand matches; WebCite, by soupytwist, June 21, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by doctoraicha, "So you would've believed inconclusive IP evidence over a friend who you had no reason to believe was dishonest?" June 21, 2006
- untitled, page 1 WebCite, untitled, page 2; WebCite, Maeglin Yedi, "So yeah, it really matters that the other side of this story is now finally revealed, even if the original wanks started 3 years ago. Because these wanks influenced a whole lot more people than just the ones personally involved. It influenced fandom as a whole, especially when the sockpuppets started targeting fandom in general and not just small groups of people in it." June 21, 2006
- It’s not just a story of one woman’s often shady dealings: it’s a story about fandom*; WebCite, by Milkshake Butterfly, June 21, 2006
- A Proportional Response; WebCite, by darkrosetiger, June 21, 2006
- Old news to some, not news to others.; WebCite, by dhole, June 21, 2006
- Fandom Strife, Sunscreen and Credulousness - an outsider's view of the constantine affair; archive link, by mofic, June 21, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by swatkat24, “Whoever charlottelennox is, she’s one hell of a writer” June 21, 2007
- can't sleep = random internet shit; WebCite, by fan_this, June 21, 2006
- untitled, WebCite, by Chase, “Like so many of you, I've skimmed through most of the Msscribe saga. The academic in me is fascinated by the workings of fandom culture. There probably is a dissertation in this whole mess somewhere. The fangirl in me is disgusted. Not, primarily, by the lies and hurt feelings caused--though of course those are regrettable. But by the colossal waste.” June 21, 2006
- Charlotte Lennox; WebCite, by wahlee 98, June 21, 2006
- Msscribe, Mina, wanks, etc; WebCite, by painless j, June 21, 2006
- So yesterday’s reading has got me thinking about the Harry Potter fandom; WebCite, by lodessa, June 21, 2006
- It’s not just the story of one woman’s often shady dealings: it’s a story about fandom; WebCite, by Milkshake Butterfly, June 21, 2006
- hold that analogy; WebCite, by kindkit, June 21, 2006
- Msscribe, the Fandom Mary Sue, page 1; WebCite, page 2; WebCite, page 3; WebCite, by mikkeneko, June 21, 2006
- The Woman who Sued Herself (June 21, 2006)
June 22, 2006:
- The Definition of Fan, page 1; WebCite, page 2; WebCite, by sistermagpie, June 22, 2006
- A few thoughts about the fandom; WebCite, by stmargarets, June 22, 2006
- I'd rather have another large kidney stone that this shit again, page 1; WebCite, page 2; WebCite, by ari o, June 22, 2006
- Final Response to Heidi. FINAL. Siriously.; WebCite, by doctoraicha, June 22, 2006
- A scary little story.; WebCite, by the dark twin, June 22, 2006
- Online Personas and the Death of the Pseudonym; WebCite, by cupidsbow, "I have to admit that my first reaction to the biography is sadness," June 22, 2006
- Don't Plan Anything For the Next Couple of Hours--I've Got Some Reading For You; WebCite, by Abigail Nussbaum, June 22, 2006
- More Msscribe Stuff, by Angua9, June 22nd, 2006; WebCite, Page 1 and WebCite, Page 2.
June 23, 2006:
June 24, 2006:
- Musings on “Fandom Love” and Forgiveness; WebCite, carissa_lynn, June 24, 2006
- Diagnosing malicious puppetry; WebCite, by mecurtin, June 24, 2006
- Having your laptop die isn't so bad after all.; WebCite, by ladymaidmarian, June 24, 2004
- untitled; WebCite, heidi8, "I don't have words for how sorry I am for some of the things I said and did, as well as some of the things I didn't say or didn't do during this wank and during the past wanks that are referenced by it." June 24, 2006
June 26, 2006:
- Tangled Web, page 1; WebCite, page 2; WebCite, by papersky, June 25, 2006
- untitled; WebCite, by Cleolinda Jones, “You don't have to bow and scrape and beg forgiveness for some vague sin. Just acknowledge that something hurtful happened, even if we're still in the discovery process and aren't entirely sure what's what yet.” June 26, 2006
- Fine...; WebCite, by ari o, June 26, 2006
June 28, 2006:
- the ms scribe effect; Archive, phaballa, April 28, 2007
- Second Verse Same as the First; WebCite, by carissa_lynn, August 16, 2007
- msscribe: Making a comeback, or not!; archive link, queenettefallon, August 19, 2007
- unpopular fannish opinion: i feel bad about mocking the snapewives, by seperis ("This came up in MsScribe too, actually; the weird thing was, there was a lot of OMG NO SHUT UP at the idea of calling CPS because she was using multiple sockpuppets to play a really fun game of munchausen by internet proxy, but I think the dealbreaker was she was ironic enough about it. It's not even that I think there's a double standard here; I think it's a very consistent standard. MsScribe's actions, though destructive, sometimes personally, were in retrospect clever; she was manipulative and played on stereotyping, and it wasn't like she believed her own sockpuppets were real or something. They were tools for a goal.")
- The 10 best tales of online drama from 10 years of Fandom_Wank by Aja Romano at The Daily Dot, posted March 11, 2013
- WE ARE ALL MSSCRIBE; WebCite, by Scott Alexander, December 23, 2013
- The Internet is for Lying; WebCite, April 2013
- HARRY POTTER DAYS WE WALKED UP HILL BOTH WAYS IN THE SNOW AND EVERYONE WAS A SOCKPUPPET CON ARTIST.; WebCite, March 2013
- Slashcast Metachat: Fandom Wank (2013)
- All my apologies are belong to you.; WebCite; October 12, 2006 (a post by Ms. Scribe made four months after "The Ms.Scribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography" was published)
- from From Chapter Ten - MsScribe Returns -- main text: The Ms.Scribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography: MsScribe Returns; WebCite backup; WayBack Machine backup
- Charlotte Lennox, Chapter Ten - MsScribe Returns; WebCite backup; WayBack Machine backup
- The Inner Circle via Wayback; WebCite.
- Sarah K, the Unapologetic Lesbian's Journal; WebCite
- Fandom_Scruples page is ; WebCite
- Sporkify page here; WebCite
- Fermatojam - UnknowableWiki, Archived version
- Gryffindor Tower's Hidden Room; WebCite, some 2003 posts
- Charlotte Lennox. Chapter Three - MsScribe Conquers All; WebCite backup; WayBack Machine backup
- Charlotte Lennox. Chapter Five - Msscribe Battles Gryffindor Tower
- Charlotte Lennox. Chapter Eight - Msscribe Survives Challenges
- Angua9. More Msscribe Stuff, Jun. 22nd, 2006; WebCite, Page 1 and WebCite, Page 2.
- Charlotte Lennox. Chapter Seven - MsScribe Settles In for the Long Hall
- Annalee Newitz, Microconspiracies, Metroactive.com, July 19-25, 2006 (accessed 20 June 2010)
- The Curious Affair of the Sock Puppet, thread on MetaFilter, June 30, 2006. (accessed 1 August 2010)
- Actually, joking comments are still made. See this Tumblr screencap of a 16 September 2013 Fail Fandomanon comment thread.
- comment thread started by Heidi, 2006-06-21.
- musesfool, that is, i think i disagree, June 22, 2006
- ratcreature in a comment, 24 Jun 2006
- The MsScribe affair post dated June 23, 2006; WayBack Machine link.
- comment in the Because someone had to do it... June 20, 2006 post on fandom wank; WayBack machine link.
- an excerpt from All my apologies are belong to you.; WebCite
- For the whole long and revealing post (later locked), titled "So I have permission to post this. Enjoy it because it'll be the last of it's kind," see screencaps of this post here; WebCites for these screencaps: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, page 5, and page 6
- Also from "So I have permission to post this. Enjoy it because it'll be the last of it's kind," see screencaps of this post here; WebCites for these screencaps: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, page 5, and page 6
- See The Ms.Scribe Story: Chapter Four - Msscribe Suffers a Setback.
- Harry Potter Wank: The Comeback, posted in Fandom Wank, 16 August 2007.
- Charlotte Lennox did not amend her essay to address the "new" revelations as they were repeats of the 2003 posts.
- Harry Potter Wank: The Comeback
- Scribble's Apology on her now LJ..., dated August 17, 2007; WebCite link.
- See Too little, too late; dated August 18, 2007; WayBack machine link
- The Theme Song for The Nanny dated August 16, 2007; WayBack machine link.
- untitled comment in the "Harry Potter Wank: The Comeback" post dated August 16, 2007; WayBack Machine link.
- WayBack Machine link.
- At Her Grace’s Behest by Branwyn.
- excerpt from "On the Run" by yahtzee63 dated June 21, 2006; WayBack Machine link.
- And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.... dated June 22, 2006; WayBack machine link.
- comment in I'm gonna say one last thing here... dated June 20, 2006; WayBack machine link.
- WayBack Machine link dated April 4, 2009.
- The Ms.scribe Story ~ Charlotte Lennox rec post on tumblr dated Dec 14, 2013; WayBack machine link.
- twitter post dated August 23, 2012; WayBack machine link.
- a static archived snapshot of a portion of the msscribe posts on tumblr dated May 8, 2014. A static archived snapshot of recent twitter posts mentioning msscribe dated May 8, 2014.
- msscribe tumblr; WayBack Machine link.
- fermatojam tumblr; WayBack machine link.
- no1msscribefan tumblr; WayBack machine link.
- epi-cyclical tumblr; WayBack machine link.
- heidi-8 tumblr; WayBack machine link.
- link dated Feb 3, 2104; WayBack Machine link.
- link dated Feb 3, 2014; WayBack Machine link.
- link dated Feb 3, 2014; WayBack Machine link.