|Name:||Heidi Tandy  |
|Type:||moderator, beta, fan writer, archivist, vidder|
|Fandoms:||Harry Potter, Supernatural, others|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Heidi8 is a fan, intellectual property lawyer, and "fandom advocate".
Heidi8 began in the Harry Potter fandom as a moderator on the discussion group Harry Potter for Grownups. She helped found and administer and was a moderator for FictionAlley. She wrote material for The Leaky Cauldron and the Harry Potter Automatic News Aggregator. She was also very active at HPforGrownups.
In early Harry Potter fandom, she was a close friend and defender of Cassandra Claire as well as her beta reader. As such she was involved in a many of the fandom's most infamous wanks of the early to mid 2000s, including CharityWank and The Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle. At one point, Fandom Wank coined the term Heidipology in response to an apology (or trend of apologies) she made that people felt was insincere and insufficient. Since then, she has distanced herself from old wanks and largely avoided controversy.
- Slashcast Insider Interview with Heidi8 (2011)
- Fandom is My Fandom, panel discussion with Heidi8 and others at ComicCon (2015)
- Heidi at Fandom Wank Wiki (archived link)
- Heidi8 at Fan History Wiki
- Heidi chapter of The Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle (archived link)
- The names are linked in the book Why Fanfiction Is Taking Over the World and on the fyeahcopyright blog.
- also at [https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FAWA/conversations/topics/3 Intro / "Pen Name" question]
- Heidi: "First, remember that nobody starts off as a famous fanfic writer. Second, it's true, as someone else said, that many of the well known writers have been at it for 2 and a half years or more, when fandom was a lot smaller. I became Cassie's beta reader because I sent her some funny links about living blades, and started beta reading for Ebony (angiej) when she posted a request for betas on hpfgu's main list, back when that sort of thing was allowed. It's not inner circleness or cliquiness or anything like that - we just all realised in 2000 that we had shared ideas about writing and stuff... And the relationships grew from there." -- A Question & Dialogue, July 10, 2003
- For example, in a 2013 Tumblr post, Heidi wrote that she had been "too scared to talk about" a past HP wank because: "I’ve enjoyed an awesome fannish experience in so many fandoms since 2006 (well, and before too!) and I haven’t wanted to get into the middle of this again, to be criticized and to jeopardize any of the projects I’ve worked on or ruin any of the friendships that I now have."