|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Animal Transformation, Animals in Fanworks, Werewolf|
|See Also:||Story Tropes By Fandom|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Penguins appear in fanworks from time to time (they're more popular in some fandoms than others) and are an important part of certain canons, such as the films March of the Penguins, Penguins of Madagascar and Happy Feet, the comic Bloom County, the animated TV series Pingu, and to a lesser extent the Wallace and Gromit short films and Doctor Who comics. Despite minor canon penguin appearances in the source material, fanworks in the following fandoms currently appear to have few or no penguins: Cthulhu Mythos, Anita Blake stories, Justice League, and Monty Python. The opposite is true for Drake's Venture fandom: while no penguins appear in the movie, lots of fanworks have them.
- Walk the Line by tv_elf, a March of the Penguins vid.
- Every Penguin Dance Now by mranderson, a Happy Feet vid.
- Ringu Pingu by lofifofilm, Pingu/The Ring mashup video.
- Antarctica by Mere and Kate, an unofficial entry to the Slash Across America popslash challenge in 2002, was probably the first example of penguinfic (or more accurately: penguin not!fic).
- Attached by Allothi, Inception, Arthur/Eames story in which Arthur has kidnapped a penguin for a job.
- Birds of a Feather by toft, Aubrey/Maturin story in which Stephen is transformed into a penguin.
- A Spy Unmasked by JohnAmendAll, Doctor Who; "Sir David Attenborough's latest documentary has produced some unusual footage."
- A Night on the Town by JohnAmendAll, The Sarah Jane Adventures; "Luke's date with Kelsey wasn't going well, even before the talking penguin in the trenchcoat showed up."
- Merely a Penguin by Korora; "Wallace recounts The Wrong Trousers with a Billy Joel tune." Wallace and Gromit
- Fanworks tagged Penguins of Madagascar on AO3 (100 in June 2015)
- Fanworks tagged Happy Feet on AO3 (2 in June 2015)
- We Three Penguins by Lamardeuse] (due South)
Note - results from these searches include images scanned from comics etc. as well as fan art.
- Frobisher Penguin Doctor Who Fan Art (Google search)
- Pingu Fan Art (Google Search)
- Feathers McGraw Fan Art (Google Search)
Penguins in Stargate Atlantis
Penguinfic is a subgenre of Stargate Atlantis crack fanworks (mostly fic) notable and common enough to have its own thematic list. This is no coincidence; the heyday of SGA fandom coincided with the release of both March of the Penguins (2005) and Happy Feet (2006).
The stories mainly feature SGA characters being transformed into penguins, though some are AUs in which the characters have always been penguins, and occasionally the canon characters just deeply ponder (the meaning of) penguins.
Example SGA Fanworks
- Pygoscelis (Or, a Gift of Pebbles) by Leah/taste is sweet. Pegasus-B story in which John and Rodney get turned into penguins. (2005)
- Mating Rituals and Mating Rituals, Too by Karen McFadyyon. Remix of Leah's story, in which John and Rodney get turned into penguins a lot. (2005-2006?)
- Foul Pleasure by James/Gila. John and Rodney visit a reality where Carson is a penguin most of the time.
- The Many Faces of Radek Zelenka: The Return and Casual Fridays by James/Gila. Encounter with a reality where Radek and Rodney are part-time penguins. (2005)
- Antarctic Drift (2006) and sequel Bipeds and the Deep Blue Sea (2008) by lavvyan. John and Rodney are Emperor penguins, Rodney likes to study humans.
- Perambulation of the Atlanteans by chelle. John and Rodney watch March of the Penguins and almost get kicked out of Atlantis movie-night.
- Skew Curve (part of the Bell Curve series) by rageprufrock. Watching March of the Penguins traumatizes John and Rodney's kids.
- See Opus the penguin Bloom County character page at wikipedia. (Accessed 9 Dec 2011)
- The Wrong Trousers features the penguin master-criminal Feathers McGraw. A possible source for Wallace himself is the series Send For Dithers (1966, accessed 13th July 2015), which featured a bumbling handyman, Dithers, aided by his pet, Mr. Perkins, a king penguin.
- Doctor Who magazine ran a 1980s comic strip which included Frobisher, an alien shape-changing private detective and companion of the Doctor, who preferred penguin form. He has subsequently appeared in books, audio recordings, etc. Frobisher on Wikipedia (accessed 19 June 2015)
- Penguins appear in H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.
- Anita collects toy penguins, mugs with penguins, etc.
- Killer penguins attack in the one-off Justice League Antarctica special.
- A giant radioactive killer penguin appears briefly in one episode which includes the Hollywood spoof Scott of the Sahara.
- Penguinfic: it's a genre... by thirdblindmouse, March 2008. (Accessed 24 April 2011)