|Synonyms:||Not fic, Not-fic, Notfic|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Not!fic emerged as a term in Bandom to refer to a story written in a particular style - generally more like a story outline or summary than a traditional fic, and with a liberal sprinkling of chatspeak, lolcat and references to various memes. Not!fic has since spread to other fandoms.
So I had a hankering for a buddyfic with slashy undertones, but nothing overt. And then I had a eureka moment, because Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of my favorite Thanksgiving movies, and the end always makes my heart ache, and I totally don't want to write it, so I kind of... didn't write it. The 'they're drunk' line was only slightly amended from the movie, because that part is absolute genius. Also, someone slicker than I could've made it all heartwarming and stuff, and more with the hilarity, and also threaded in John's life better, but! As I said, this is not a fic. It's important to remember that.
The SGA fic was written in the same breezy summary style as later Bandom not!fic, but lacked the emoticons and chatspeak. skoosiepants posted her personal definition of not!fic on AO3:
Just a note on what I deem not!fic: a story that's not fully realized and also where the premise or plot is not mine.
Other likely sources for the spread of not!fic include wolfshirts and damnyouwentz. The wolfshirts community wasn't created until November 2007, months after the first self-identified not!fics were posted, but it was mentioned in the author notes for "This Never Happened" and did reflect the same emoticon- and all-caps-laden writing style. For example:
And it starts to get REALLY AWKWARD because Gerard is like, okay, Frank is not letting go, there is so much snuggling, I can't help but get, uh, sort of...excited, after a while and Frank is like STOP IT, I JUST WANT A HUG :( :( :( THINK OF MY PLIGHT :( :( :( I HAVE BEEN POISONED BY CUDDLE POLLEN, CAN I PUT MY FACE IN YOUR NECK AND FALL ASLEEP AGAIN? :( :( :(
- This Never Happened by bexless, podficced by klb - 20k words of not!fic, the perfect example of the genre. 2008?
- I refuse to dignify this with a title by reni_days, podficced by xojemmaxo
- If you stay by reni_days
- Frank the Failiest Vampire by mistress_curvy
- I want to be a pop idol by epershand - Smallville rather than Bandom, but a writer who is also in Bandom.
- not!fic tag, archive.is. First post: Not!Fic: Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Archived version, posted to livejournal 5 December 2006.
- The Blue Castle - skoosiepants - Multifandom [Archive of Our Own], Archived version
- See quote at Mikey_Way#Facial_expression
- comment by blondiusmaximus in i think i'm addicted to this community, Archived version, posted to wolfshirts, 21 November 2007.