|Tropes and genres|
|Related tropes/genres||text fic, Documentation, Epistolary, not!fic, commentfic|
|See also||Instant Messaging, IRC|
|Related articles on Fanlore.|
Chatfic is a term with at least two meanings in fandom.
- fanfiction written in a group chat
- fanfiction written in the style of a group chat
In the first definition, popular in Bandom and possibly 2000s LiveJournal fandom generally, two or more fans discuss a fic they want to write. One fan may then post the chatlog as-is or clean it up to some extent. LJ community sidekickfic defined it thusly:
a sort of story-type thing wot two or more people write using chat programs, with each of them taking different characters and attempting to reach an end, with varying degrees of success as such things tend to wander off into meta and new stories, and that's cool too
In the second definition, the characters within the story are using chat to communicate. This type of fic was notably popular in the Homestuck (see pesterlog) and has grown in popularity across fandoms more generally in the 2010s
Several fic archives have policies banning chatroom-style fanfics; see List of Content Banned by Archives#chat/script format, keyboard dialogue based entries, netspeak.
- Amish!Patrick: The Revenge, Archived version by Schuyler and tricksterquinn, posted to damnyouwentz 2006-05-24
- Discordance, Archived version by Luunyscarlet, Maka_Tsubaki, novelDaydreamer, PFDiva, Purrs, tabbyfeathers, VoidTarot, and winteryKite. This work meets both definitions by being in the form of a Discord chatlog and also having been written collectively in a discord server.
- if 2 phantom thieves were on the moon and one killed the other with a rock would that be fucked up or what, Archived version by mellofricker