You may be looking for Inception, the Storm Constantine ezine.
|Creator:||Christopher Nolan (writer/director)|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||at IMDb|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Inception is a film written and directed by Christoper Nolan that combines elements of scifi, action-adventure, and character drama with a complex plot and engrossing visuals. It was released on 16 July, 2010, to critical acclaim and high box office returns. Characters in the movie include Dom Cobb, Mal, Ariadne, Arthur, Eames, Yusuf, Saito and Robert Fischer.
Dominick "Dom" Cobb are a "extractor"; a professional thief who steals information by infiltrating the subconscious of his targets using experimental military technology through a shared dream world. Saito offers you the chance to have his criminal history erased which prevents him from returning home to his children, as payment for the implantation of another person's idea into a target's subconscious.
The Livejournal community inception_kink was created on 15 July, 2010; this shows some prescience, because the film fandom took off like a rocket. In the first two months, the community logged over eighty thousand comments, many of which are prompts for fanfiction and stories written in response to those prompts. In addition, many stories and works of fanart have been created and posted outside of the kink community.
There is a lot of Inception-related activity on Tumblr -- photos, gifs, art, news, memes, recs, fic and more. The Inception on Tumblr page has a non-exhaustive list of tumblr blogs devoted to Inception or a particular aspect of the fandom.
Aja offers some thoughts on the fandom and its exponential growth:
To me Inception is a die that's a dodecahedron instead of a cube. Every time I roll the die I come up with a completely different way of reading the film. And every single side the die lands on is emotionally satisfying to me. Every single side is so pleasing. Every single side tells me something awesome about human connections or the meta-layers of meaning at work in the film. Every side is just plain cool.
[...]Inception fandom, which sprang up in overwhelming volume overnight, is literally a bunch of people populating, with their own projections and world-building, a narrative about a bunch of people populating a narrative with their own projection and world-building.
Arthur/Eames is by far the most juggernaut pairing in the fandom (60% of works with pairings), to the extent that some people have said that they feel as if they don't belong in the fandom if they don't ship the dominant OTP.
The other most common pairings are Arthur/Ariadne, who kiss while undercover in the movie (12.05% of works with pairings tagged in the newsletter delicious in 21 October 2010), Arthur/Dom Cobb (6.32%), Ariadne/Cobb (3.35%), the canonical paring Cobb/Mal (3.24%), Ariadne/Eames (3.13%), Ariadne/Arthur/Eames (1.73%), Robert Fischer/Saito (1.35%) and Cobb/Eames (1.03%).
Inception has inspired a lot of meta and discussion:
- once remembered now forgotten - deepsix argues that "what Cobb calls the real world is just another level of the dream"
- How to Dress Your Man/Character: An Informal Tutorial Heavy on the PicSpam by hackthis. An information/picspam about men's suits, inspired by Inception fandom's love of men in suits.
- Dressing Arthur: What he wears, what he doesn’t, and what it means for people writing him.
- Picspam: Costumes in Inception by bennet_7. A very thorough look at all the costumes worn by the main characters and what their attire tells us about them.
- Dream A Little Bigger, Darling - the Inception Fic Writer's Guide to Firearms, Pt 1 by chn-breathmint (other parts linked in post).
- The Eames/Arthur Survival Guide by godofwine
- A Quick and Dirty Guide to the British Education System and part two of same
- Arthur's Job: A Series of Thoughts: an exploration of what it means to be "a point man" and how Arthur does all his research.
- The Cobol Job - official prequel comic
- Portable Automated Somnacin IntraVenous Device (PASIV) Instruction Manual
- Inception article on Wikipedia
- Inception Wiki on Wikia
- Inception and Inception RPF fanworks at AO3
- Inception podfic at the Audiofic Archive
- Kink Meme Delicious
- Architecture and Architects – Real life, that is by johanirae
Fandom Guides and Overviews
- Fandom Overview: Inception (2010) - You’re Waiting for a Fandom on Crackvan
- Inception newbieguide
- Inception Resources by Aja
- Dreaming a Little Bigger: The Inception Starter Kit by frantic-allonsy, in-depth plot summary and list of comms
- Main article see List of Inception Communities.
- E.g. tumblr search for posts tagged "inception"
- Meta post on Dreamwidth and on LiveJournal.
- 59.16% (1095 out of 1851) Arthur/Eames fanfic and fanworks tagged in the inceptiondaily newsletter delicious as of 21 October 2010, the second and third most common parings being Ariadne/Arthur (12.05%) and Arthur/Dom Cobb (6.32)
- The comic was freely available on Yahoo; now has gone