Harry Potter AU
|Trope · Genre|
|See Also:||crossover, fusion, alternate universe|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Harry Potter AUs are crossovers or fusions where characters from other fandoms are placed into the setting of Harry Potter. These can be coexistent with Harry Potter canon, or ignore it entirely. They are often set at Hogwarts. It is a popular trope among many fandoms, especially newer ones.
The writing or drawing of Harry Potter AUs often leads to much discussion about which Hogwarts Houses the characters should or would be sorted into.
- Bandom (Panic! at the Disco): Never Was A Badger So by SkoosiePants. “Apparently,” he said as they made their way out of the store, “I have a soft spot for spazzy Hufflepuffs.” (March 2007)
- Bandom (Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy) Response to the Bandom Mistletoe Meme by maleyka. Prompt: Comment with no less than 100 words of mistletoe shenanigans! (November 2007)
- The Devil Wears Prada: most like a marsh-fire by QuickYoke. Miranda is a world-renowned wandmaker and Andy is the least likely Slytherin. (June–July 2017)
- The Hobbit: Water in the Sun by Mila_Ros (2013–present; WiP)
- One Direction: You Are The Blood by sarcasticfluentry. A seventh-year Hogwarts AU in which Niall gets all the girls, Liam goes on a journey of self-discovery, Zayn falls in love, Harry wants something more, and Louis tries to figure out once and for all why he, a Muggleborn, was sorted into Slytherin. (June 2013 – June 2014)
- Sherlock: Expecto Patronum by thisisforyou. In which eighteen year-old Sherlock and twenty-one-year-old John, first-year Auror trainees, embark on an impromptu study session which leads in very wonderful directions that neither of them had dared to expect. (July 2013)
- Supernatural: Old Country by astolat. Dean Winchester is a Hufflepuff who thinks he's a Gryffindor, and Sam Winchester is a Slytherin who thinks he's a Ravenclaw. Discuss. (September 2007)
- Teen Wolf: Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by pandacowhipster. When potions prodigy Stiles blows up one cauldron too many during one of his ‘experiments’, he gets assigned to making Wolfsbane Potion for the new groundskeeper. Which wouldn’t be so bad if the guy wasn’t you know, terrifying. (June–August 2012)
- BTS: Of Quaffles, Bludgers and Snitches by lost_things. The International Collegiate Quidditch Tournament is a pretty big deal, and becoming the team captain at Hogwarts is something of a coup but it wasn't something Hoseok expected. His team? A Slytherin Keeper with a nasty reputation and a powerful return. Two Ravenclaw Chasers; one a Third Year hothead and the other his clumsy best friend. A shy Gryffindor Beater who doesn't live up to the stereotype. A Seventh Year Gryffindor Chaser who's been relegated to second string because of his Prefect duties. An insomniac of a Hufflepuff Beater who has more than a knack. And himself, one of the best Seekers since Harry Potter himself. He's not quite sure what's going to happen, but he sure hopes for the best. (Alternatively, Bangtan re-imagined as an inter-house Quidditch team. A story about a modern Hogwarts, their developing friendships and teamwork, and a lot of broom physics. (April 2017)
- Merlin (TV series): Emrys Ascending by trickserity. In the depths of the Crystal of Neahtid, Merlin sees the resurrection of Lord Voldemort, an event that will tip the balance of the world so far out that only he has the power to intervene and set it right, or stop it from ever happening. For that, he'll have to pose as a student and attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The only problem is, he's been chosen instead of Cedric Diggory as a Triwizard Champion, and there's a recently reborn Arthur Pendragon in Gryffindor House. (August 2013 - April 2016)
- Gone with the Wind: Gone with the wand by AnastasiaMantihora. Drawing of Scarlet and Rhett in Slytherin uniforms and Melanie and Ashley in Gryffindor uniforms. (October 2012)
- Sherlock Holmes (BBC and 2009): HP x SH crossover Art Trade by sadyna. The BBC and 2009 film versions of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson meet. BBC!Sherlock is wearing Slytherin colors, BBC!John is wearing Hufflepuff colors, RDJ!Holmes and Watson are wearing Gryffindor colors. (November 2010)
In an April 2006 essay called When Worlds Collide: Harry Potter Crossover Fanfiction, Thevina wrote:
[…]both author and reader are required to be familiar with multiple fandoms. Many fandom participants are active in multiple fandoms at the same time, or function more as "fandom butterflies," spending an intense period of activity in one fandom, reaching a saturation point, and moving on to a new fandom to begin again. To most fully appreciate a crossover, the author and reader must necessarily have chosen to become fluent in the canon materials of two universes, which may or not have additional layers of complexity in regards to expectations based on pre-existing fanfiction with its own intra-fandom histories, stereotypes and tropes.
[…]The Harry Potter books can be considered wainscots fantasy, as defined by The Encyclopedia of Fantasy: "[…] invisible or undetected societies living in the interstices of the dominant world — normally but not necessarily human […]."6 From the very beginning, there are Wizarding/Muggle interactions, which appear to be increasing in frequency and malevolency as the yet-incomplete series continues. Because the two worlds already co-exist within this universe, Harry Potter is a more permeable world than other, closed, universes, lending itself more readily to crossovers.
It is possible that Harry Potter crossovers and fusions are so popular simply because of the ubiquity of the Harry Potter fandom, so nearly everyone who is active in any other fandom also understands the "shared universe" of Harry Potter.
- There are 1723 fanworks tagged Alternate Universe - Hogwarts and 2372 works tagged Alternate Universe - Harry Potter Setting on the AO3. The top fandoms for both of these tags are Sherlock, Supernatural, One Direction, and Teen Wolf.
- Kristi Lee, When Worlds Collide: Harry Potter Crossover Fanfiction, PDF. Presented at Lumos in July 2006.
- Any more recent meta is appreciated!