|Trope · Genre|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Characters from one universe enacting the story from another is a trope of fanfiction fusion for which the fannish nomenclature is confused. Before the popularity of the term 'fusion', the term 'pastiche' has been used for this type of fusion. In more-modern fannish terminology, they are sometimes referred to as '[story canon] AUs', although this form is often also used for fusions that simply borrow settings and not plot elements.
The trope can be played completely seriously, as for example, in Yahtzee's As Time Goes By. Alternatively, the incongruity of the fusion can be used for comic effect, as for example, casting large male Jayne Cobb in the role of small female Jane Eyre. The central m/f couple of romance novels is often rewritten with two men.
Popular Story Canons
Stories that are frequently re-enacted include well-known literary classics such as A Christmas Carol, Jane Eyre, The Hound of the Baskervilles & other Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice and some Shakespeare plays, as well as a few classic films particularly Casablanca.
- Agent Provocateur by Arcady. 'A Scandal in Bohemia' in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1998 or earlier)
- Letters of Transit by Loch Ness. Casablanca in X-Files (2000 or earlier)
- A Christmas Canto by Sally Manton. A Christmas Carol in Blake's 7 (2000)
- The Last Days of Roj Blake by Una McCormack. Julius Caesar in Blake's 7 (2001)
- "Kie-Eyre or Et Tu, Bronte?" by Executrix. Jane Eyre in Blake's 7, with Travis as Rochester & his mutoid as Jane (2001)
- As Time Goes By by Yahtzee. Casablanca in the Buffyverse (c. 2002)
- Spirits of the House by Altariel. A Christmas Carol in The Lord of the Rings (2003)
- The Autobiography of Gertrude Stein, After Death by Alchemia. The works of Gertrude Stein, particularly The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas in Harry Potter (2004)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Penknife. Jane Eyre in Harry Potter, with Remus Lupin as Jane & Sirius Black as Rochester (2005)
- Jayne Eyre by Meltha. Crackfic Jane Eyre in Firefly, with Jayne Cobb as Jane (2006)
- What He Eats by Alchemia. Originally posted for an anonymous exchange at the Riddle Gifts Community. Mesopotamian myths in Harry Potter; also an example of Metafic. (2007)
- The changeling; or, Charles Xavier (a Novel by a Lady) by aesc. Jane Eyre in X-Men: First Class, with Charles Xavier as Jane & Erik Lehnsherr as Rochester (2011–12)
- The Ghosts of Blackthorn Hall by linoresearch. Jane Eyre in Supernatural, with Castiel as Jane & Dean Winchester as Rochester (2012)
Example Fan Art
See many other examples at Imitation.
Remus, Sirius and James. Acrylics 9 x 12 canvas board. This was for the Livejournal hp_fringeart January 2007 Challenge: Imitation of Famous Art. In this case, work by photographer Wilhelm Von Gloeden. Alchemia (2007)
- Inspired by A Christmas Carol tag on AO3
- Jane Eyre AU tag on AO3
- Pride and Prejudice AU tag on AO3
- Classic Canon Challenge, a Harry Potter challenge