|Fandom:||Serenity & Firefly|
|Other:||Picture of Jayne on still-flying|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Jayne Cobb is the mercenary on Serenity. He's good at tracking, shooting, fighting, pool, and cracking one-liners. He's bad at dinner party conversation. He has his own song and a very fine hat; many Browncoats have learnt to knit for the sake of the hat.
Jayne Cobb is the originator of the phrase I'll be in my bunk.
Our Love For Him Now Ain't Hard To Explain
In some kind of marvellous, unlooked for gift from the gods of sexual fantasy, Jayne is played by fannish BSO Adam Baldwin (previously on X-Files, SG-1, and Angel, subsequently on Chuck). He carries a great big gun and wears tight cargo pants. He spends a lot of time working out.
Although Jayne is canonically a violent, disloyal "man-ape," in ficdom it is generally agreed that we're allowed to like him because his best friend is a preacher (Shepherd Book) and he sends a cut of his pay home to his mum.
You can tell a lot about a guy from how he treats his mother
Jayne is most often shipped with a Tam: Jayne/Simon for slash and River/Jayne for het, but there are sizable Jayne/Mal and Jayne/Kaylee communities as well. As with all Jossverse, there's at least one fic for every conceivable other pairing.
More ships listed here.
- Copper for a Kiss by Lady Cleo, Alternate ‘Verse: When fate takes a turn and Simon is unable to liberate River from the Academy, Jayne finds himself accidentally rescuing the crazy girl from her tormentors. (2005)
- Cold Comfort Mountain by SpaceAnJL, The first time I saw a list of planets in the 'Verse, one just leapt out at me as Jayne's homeworld. So I present to you - Jayne Cobb. The Man. The Myth. The Mother. (2006)
Archives & Links
- Jayne Cobb works on Ao3
- Jayne (Firefly) works on ff.net
- Jayne (serenity) works on ff.net
- Jayne Cobb character section on Wikipedia
- Jayne Cobb character page on The Firefly and Serenity Database