|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Alternate Universe, Coffee Shop AU, Bakery AU, GBBO AU, Chef AU, College AU|
|See Also:||Food in Fanworks|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A Baking AU is a trope found in fanworks in which the practice of baking holds a significant place in the personal life of one or several characters. Baking AUs sometimes overlap with Chef AUs or Bakery AUs, where baking is practiced in a professional setting, or Coffeeshop AUs which often feature baked goods as well as coffee.
For example in gyzym's I've Got Nothing To Do Today But Smile (The Only Living Boy in New York), a stress!baker meets the owner of a coffee shop and together they create a bakery-slash-coffee shop.
GBBO AUs are a specific subset of Baking AUs in which the baking takes place during the British television show The Great British Bakeoff.
- (Podfic) The CLASSIFIED British Bake Off by blackglass, croissantkatie, dapatty, fire_juggler, Hananobira, kalakirya, knight_tracer, malnpudl, originally, Readbyanalise010, jelazakazone, reena_jenkins, RsCreighton, teas_me, themusecalliope, uniquepov. 2015. The following is the only episode ever filmed of season six of The Great British Bake Off.
- Buy Handmade by jjtaylor, Frank/Gerard, 2008. Podfic by pennyplainknits. Gerard Way sells his art on Etsy, Frank learns how to be a baker, featuring loving descriptions of his bakes.
- Nibble Clamps] by jedusaur, Frank/Gerard, 2011. Frank & Gerard bake cupcakes together for a contest.
- Baby, It's Cold Outside by savvygambols, Brendon/Ryan, 2008. Brendon expresses his love to Ryan through the medium of special cookies.
- Spencer & Brendon make a cake, fanart by anna_luna, 2009.
- I've Got Nothing To Do Today But Smile (The Only Living Boy in New York) by gyzym, Arthur/Eames, 2010. The triple combo of a Coffeeshop/Baking/Bakery AU.
- Like Sugar on my Tongue by crackedbuthappy, Jared/Jensen, 2008. Jared's mother taught Jared to bake as a child as a way to release nervous energy, to give him something to do with his hands. It’s not something he does all the time – baking – only when he’s stressed out. But, now that he’s hopelessly in love with Jensen and sharing living space....well, Jared bakes a lot.
- 10 things i ____ about you by robpatFF, Niall/Zayn, 2014. Niall has amnesia but he remembers how to bake.
- Foster's Bakery by Cesare and anatsuno, McKay/Sheppard, 2008. Summary of Part 1: Grounded by an injury, John Sheppard leaves the Air Force and, at loose ends, takes up running the bakery he inherited from his mother's family in Colorado Springs.
- sweet on you by moogle62, Mark/Eduardo, 2011. Summary: BAKERY AU. Mark is Mark, Eduardo owns a bakery/café near the Facebook offices. [...]