I've Got Nothing To Do Today But Smile (The Only Living Boy in New York)
|Title:||I've Got Nothing To Do Today But Smile (The Only Living Boy in New York)|
|Date(s):||02 November 2010|
|External Links:||I've Got Nothing To Do Today But Smile (The Only Living Boy in New York), 1/2, 2/2 (Livejournal)|
Alternative story link (AO3) and Podfic
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
This romantic coffeeshop AU is probably one of the most famous Inception fanworks. Many fans created fanart for this, inspiring gyzym to make a soundtrack; later, Penny also podficced the story.
Recs and Reviews
- "This is so adorable and so charming and I love your Arthur, he breaks my heart, I love how you show the frustrations of his work and how much better things are when he's with Eames, and stress baking, omg, and your Eames, barista Eames, how I just want to put him in my pocket and carry him with me wherever I go. I love the bits of Ariadne/Yusuf, I love the baked goods and the coffee, dear lord the coffee, if this is a love song to baristas, it's deserve to be on the top of the charts."
- "Everybody's read gyzym's coffee shop!AU; it's a game changer. It may be the biggest fic in Inception fandom; I'm pretty sure it's the best received and talked about for a reason. I'm not overtly recommending that one (it's obviously warranted, but well past superfluous)."
- "Intensely satisfying story about the idea that the things we do aren't always who we are. Arthur's building frustration and Eames's unwavering affection are things of beauty. You really can't help but applaud, I should think."
- "You guys all know already that earlier this week gyzym not only wrote an Inception coffeeshop AU, but wrote the coffeeshop AU of everyone's dreams *cough*. She declared it was an early birthday present for me, because she is full of generosity and goodness. And I stayed up til after four am the night she posted it, reading it and crying my eyes out and loving fandom so much. (...) So, yeah, if you haven't read it, and even if you're not in inception fic, definitely swing over to Gyzym's cafe :D and read I've Got Nothing to Do Today But Smile (The Only Living Boy in New York.)"
- "This Inception fic is dangerous to my career, because every time I read it, I want to sob for an hour and then quit everything to be a professional baker. It’s a sweet love story, and the quintessential Bakery AU, but more than that, it’s a pitch-perfect depiction of breaking free from the prison of self-imposed expectations that make us miserable." 
- linked by gyzym in the story header, and here: my glee cannot be rendered textually, last updated 07 November 2010 (Accessed 25 November 2010).
- gyzym. OH MY GOD YOU GUYS, 03 November 2010 (Accessed 25 November 2010).
- Podfic: I've got nothing to do today but smile, by Gyzym, read by Penny, 20 November 2010 (Accessed 25 November 2010).
- jibrailis in a comment, 02 November 2010)(Accessed 25 November 2010).
- rec by hackthis. This is not a love story., 04 November 2010 (Accessed 25 November 2010).
- rec by mementis. An Arthur/Eames Reader, last updated 21 November 2010 (Accessed 25 November 2010).
- rec by Aja. Untitled Post by bookshop, 06 November 2010 (Accessed 25 November 2010).