Once Upon a Time (TV series)
|Name:||Once Upon a Time|
|Date(s):||October 23, 2011 - May 14, 2017|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Official Website|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Once Upon a Time is an American fantasy-drama television series, which aired on ABC from 2011—2017. The series had a one-season spinoff entitled Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, focusing on Alice and her adventures with Will Scarlett aka the Knave of Hearts, Cyrus, a genie and her true love, the White Rabbit, as well as featuring the Red Queen.
From the inventive minds of "Lost" executive producers Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis comes a bold new imagining of the world, where fairy tales and the modern-day are about to collide. And they all lived happily ever after - or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old bail bonds collector who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when the son she gave up years ago finds her, everything starts to change. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes from an alternate world and is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen's curse, which trapped the fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them into our modern world. Of course Emma doesn't believe a word, but when she brings Henry back to Storybrooke, she finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for Henry, she decides to stay for a while, but she soon suspects that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close... where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, but for good to win, Emma will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell.
The first season focuses on Emma Swan's arrival in Storybrooke, her developing relationship with her biological son and ultimately discovering and breaking the curse. The following seasons see the core Charming family and established characters such as Rumplestiltskin and Regina explore and experience the different fairytale realms. Emma and Snow get to know each other spending time in The Enchanted Forest in Season 2, and Neverland plays a huge role when Peter Pan kidnaps Henry in Season 3. The relationship between Emma, Henry and Baelfire is a pivotal part of the series. Multiple new characters are introduced over the seasons, from different factions of fairytale lore such as the Frozen characters in Season 4. The story plays with themes of light and dark, good and evil as Emma also tries her hand at being The Dark One. A major change in the show's style occurs in Season 7, where an adult Henry takes centre stage and multiple original characters do not feature more than in guest appearances.
- "I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time anyone's shown Snow White with a sword, or pregnant."
Realms of OUAT
- Enchanted Forest/Misthaven - A land existing with the presence of magic as well as the inclusion of inhabitants who are prevalent to fairytales; such as Snow White, the Evil Queen, Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Pinocchio and so on.
- Land Without Color - A land existing with the presence of science, and is colorless by nature. It is home to Dr. Victor Frankenstein.
- Land Without Magic - A land void of magic, but is susceptible to those who possess it may pass through into this world. It is the home of Storybrooke, Maine - a town where it is cut off from the rest of the world due to Evil Queen's Dark Curse and later regains magic by Rumplestiltskin after the Dark Curse is broken by Emma Swan.
- Netherworld - A land is entirely accessible only under the influence of the Sleeping Curse, or had been under the Sleeping Curse when the person is unconscious. Its known inhabitants are Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Henry Mills, and David Nolan.
- Neverland - A land where no one can grow older in age, and is home to the forever youthful Peter Pan.
- Wonderland - A land existing with the presence of magic like the Enchanted Forest. It also includes inhabitants who are prevalent to Alice in Wonderland book; such as Mad Hatter, Queen of Hearts, White Rabbit, Red Queen, Knave of Hearts and so on.
- The world serves as basis for the spin-off Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.
- Victorian England - A land that runs perpetual to the Victorian London of the Land Without Magic and is home to Alice and her family.
- Agrabah - A land that is across the desert from Prince Eric's kingdom and where Jafar and Cyrus is from.
- Arendelle - A land that is across the seas from the Enchanted Forest - knowledge of magic was fairly unknown before Elsa and the Snow Queen despite the present of the trolls.
- Land of Oz - A land based off the world in created in the Wizard of Oz. Zelena was sent here as a baby in a tornado, she later becomes the Wicked Witch.
- 1920's England - A land set in perpetual 1920's England much like the Victorian England realm and serves as a home to Cruella de Vil.
- Camelot - A land set in medieval times and serves as the home of Merlin, as well as the former home of Lancelot.
- DunBroch/The Highlands - DunBroch is an island, separated from Camelot and the rest of the continent by the Ivory Sea. DunBroch is located north of Camelot.
The show has several main female characters -- Mary Margaret Blanchard (Snow White), Emma, and Regina (the Evil Queen) -- who get a lot of on-screen time, and it more than passes the Bechdel Test. The character of Mr. Gold (Rumpelstiltskin) (played by actor Robert Carlyle) is also popular.
The large and dysfunctional family tree of Henry Mills has been a large component in talk due to several big reveals in Season 2 (Baelfire as Henry's father, as such Rumpelstiltskin is Henry's grandfather) and Season 3 (Rumpelstiltskin's father is Peter Pan)   and it was revealed by the creators that it would expand even more by the end of the season by at least two spots , which was later revealed to be Zelena (aka Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz) as Regina's half-sister along with Neal Nolan (the son of Snow & Charming).
|Jennifer Morrison||Emma Swan||1—6, guest 7|
|Ginnifer Goodwin||Snow White||Mary Margaret Blanchard||1—6, guest 7|
|Lana Parrilla||Evil Queen||Regina Mills||All|
|Josh Dallas||Prince Charming; Prince David||David Nolan||1—6, guest 7|
|Robert Carlyle||Rumpelstiltskin; Beast; Crocodile||Mr. Gold||All|
|Jared S. Gilmore/Andrew J. West (7)||Henry Mills||All|
|Emilie de Ravin||Belle||Belle French, Lacey|
|Colin O'Donoghue||Captain Killian "Hook" Jones||2—7|
|Michael Raymond-James||Baelfire||Neal Cassidy||2—3, recurring 1|
- See Category:Once Upon A Time Characters for more characters.
Emma Swan/Regina Mills is one of the most popular pairings of the series. In 2015 Once Upon A Time fandom had the largest amount of femslash fanfiction posted on Archive of Our Own, much of this can be attributed to the SwanQueen ship. Slash pairings are fairly rare in Once Upon A Time fandom, making up less than 4% of fanfiction posted on Archive of Our Own, as of July 2018.
- Prince Charming/Snow White - canonical
- Killian Jones/Emma Swan - canonical
- Belle/Rumplestiltskin - canonical
- Regina Mills/Robin Hood - canonical
- Emma Swan/Neal Cassidy - canonical
- August Booth/Emma Swan
- Jefferson/Emma Swan
- Aurora/Killian Jones
- Sheriff Graham/Emma Swan
- See also: List of OUAT Pairing Names
In 2016, OUAT was ranked number eighth in the Top 20 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr, gaining one spot in popularity from the previous year. In 2017, OUAT dropped 16 places, ranking 24th on the Top 30 "most reblogged" live-action television show on Tumblr
Common Tropes and Themes
- True Love - a popular trope in canon and is often played with in fanon as well.
- True Love's Kiss - a very common trope that you can find both in canon and in fanon. Canon showed Snowing, Emma & Henry and Aurora/Phillip as well as Belle/Rumplestiltskin and Graham/Emma.
- Alternate Universes, probably the most popular one is where the curse never happened in the first place.
- OUAT - is the common way to shorten the show's name.
- Oncer is the common term to refer to a Once Upon a Time fan
- Bowls of Soup is also a term used for fans, stemming from an inside joke revealed by Robert Carlyle at PaleyFest 2013.
- H and K: fan acronym for showrunners Adam Horrowitz and Eddy Kitsiss, sometimes A and E is also used
- For the full list of challenges on Fanlore, see Category:Once Upon A Time Challenges
- CharlotteAshmore's ao3
- MarieQuiteContrarie's ao3
- BarPurple's ao3
- Ethereal_Wishes Ao3
- afewmistakesago Ao3
- rowofstars ao3
- TheScholarlyStrumpet ao3
- EmilieBrown's ao3
- ladybugsmomma's ao3
- bookwormchocoaholic's ao3
- Maplesyrup's ao3
- Witch_Nova221's ao3
- ishtarelisheba's ao3
- magnoliatattoo's ao3
- im2old4this ao3
- WizzyGold's ao3
- Moonlight91's ao3
- Bad_Faery's ao3
- See character or pairing pages for character or pairing specific art.
- Once Upon a Star Wars
- Once Upon a time, fanposter
- OUAT Season 2 The White Knight
- Once Upon a Time Characters by Jell-O Beans
- Samanthadoodles Gallery for OUAT contains various characters & pairings
- See character or pairing pages for character or pairing specific vids
- This is War by TayMarieVideos
- This is War by GracounetteProductions
- i don't believe in fairytales
- Wide Awake
- Sweet Dreams Are Made of This
- All those fairytales are full of it...
- i'm coming home
- lights will guide you home
- So Cold
- I Will Always Find You, a fanmade song.
- I don't believe in fairytales (Lost Girl crossover)
- Somewhere A Clock is Ticking
- The Stories of Once Upon a Time - Fairytale
- Light Em Up (Villains)
- Once Upon A Sass (Neverland Edition)
- Once Upon A Sass (Wicked West Edition)
- Once Upon A Sass (Frozen Edition)
- up (Captain Swan, Snowing, Rumbelle & Outlaw Queen)
- The Devil Within (4x23)
- Fandom Badges Part 1, features buttons for Peter Pan, Killian Jones, Sleeping Warrior, Captain Swan, Peter Pan/Captain Hook, Regina Mills, Swanthief, and Swan&Mills Family.
- Fandom Badges Part 2, features buttons for Ugly Ducklings, Evil Regals, Hooked Queen, Swan Queen, Baelfire, Wendy Darling, and Rumbelle.
- Fandom Badges Part 3, features buttons for Wooden Swan, Red Beauty, Tinkerbell, Peter Pan/Felix, Ariel, Hookfire, Fairy Queen, Evil Huntsman, and Gremma.
- Fandom Badges Part 4, features buttons for Snowing, Ruby, Captain Charming, Belle, Evil Regals, Dwarf Star, Maleficent, Captain Beauty, and Rumpelstiltskin.
- Fandom Badges Part 5, features buttons for Daddy Charming, Henry & Regina, The Charmings, Frankenwolf, Regina Mills, Cora Mills, Snowriel, Red Snow, and Mermaid Beauty.
Archives and Communities
- See Category:Once Upon A Time Communities for more.
- Once Upon a Time Fanfic
- ABC Once Upon a Time
- OUAT Kink Meme
- Once Upon a Time Holiday Exchange
- The Charmings
- Once Upon a Time tag at Het Reccers
Fansites and Resources
- Once Upon a Time (TV series) wikipedia page (canon resource)
- Once Upon A Time wikia (canon resource)
- Once Upon A Time Fans 
- The Fairy Tale Site 
- Storybrooke 
- Once Upon A Fan 
- Series press release (October 2011)
- Quote by co-creator Edward Kitsis in TV Guide article by Denise Martin, 7 Aug 2011. (Accessed 16 Jan 2012)
- charmestswan. Disney According to Henry Mills Posted November 20 2013. (Accessed 21 November 2013)
- Nikki De Graeve at Entertainment Outlook. Once Upon a Family Tree Posted on November 18 2013. (Accessed 21 November 2013)
- Matt Webb Mitovich at TVLine. Henry's Recently Expanded Family Tree Will Grow Even More Posted November 21 2013. (Accessed 21 November 2013)
- TOASTYSTATS: Femslash stats, 2015
- A03 search results, July 17, 2018
- Tumblr 2015 Year in Review: Most Reblogged Ships.
- 2016′s Top TV Shows - Live Action
- 2017′s Top Live-Action TV Shows
- True Love's Kiss Question with Jane Espenson: Copy of the Twitter Question Examples of Snowing/Captain Swan/Rumbelle Kisses and the True Love's Kiss not working (Accessed 12 December 2013)