|Occupation:||professional Quidditch player, Durmstrang student|
|Title/Rank:||Seeker, school champion|
|Status:||alive; half-blood or pure-blood|
|Relationships:||Hermione Granger (dated)|
|Other:|| born c. 1976|
portrayed by Stanislav Ianevski in the GOF film
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Viktor Krum is a Harry Potter character. He is a Bulgarian professional Quidditch player and is the Triwizard Tournament champion for Durmstrang, a wizarding school in northern Europe, in Goblet of Fire.
Viktor Krum is first introduced in Goblet of Fire as an eighteen-year-old star Quidditch player, the Seeker for the Bulgarian team during the Quidditch World Cup that Harry attended with the Weasleys and Hermione. Later, he comes to Hogwarts as a Durmstrang student for the Triwizard Tournament and is chosen as Durmstrang's school champion, to compete against Harry, Cedric Diggory, and Fleur Delacour.
Krum attends the Yule Ball with Hermione Granger, whom he noticed and admired in the Hogwarts library. In the second task of the Triwizard Tournament, Hermione is taken as the person he would "sorely miss," and he tells her he has "never felt this way about any other girl." Although Hermione apparently declines Krum's invitation to visit him in Bulgaria during the summer, the two remain—according to her—"pen-pals" for at least the following year.
Krum is mentioned in both the next two books as a target of Ron's jealousy over Hermione, and appears once again in the flesh at Bill and Fleur's wedding in Deathly Hallows. There, he compliments Hermione, who is flustered by his attention, until he hears that she and Ron are "sort of" together. Ginny Weasley also catches his eye, and he is annoyed to learn that "all the good-looking girls are taken." During the reception, Krum gets into a heated argument with Xenophilius Lovegood because he is wearing what Krum believes to be Gellert Grindelwald's sign.
Post-Deathly Hallows Canon
In a post-Deathly Hallows interview, J.K. Rowling revealed that Krum would finally "find love" back in Bulgaria. She also revealed on Pottermore that Krum retired from professional Quidditch after losing the 2002 Quidditch World Cup, but came out of retirement to win the 2014 World Cup. According to a report of that game by Rita Skeeter, Krum remained friendly with Harry.
Krum has a cameo in the stage play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, where he is referred to by the nickname "Krazy Krum" (a nickname that does not appear in the original books). In the original production, Krum is portrayed (very briefly) by Jack North.
While a minority of fans thought that Krum could be an endgame love interest for Hermione, most recognized him as her "Mr. Wrong". However, in a 2004 interview, J.K. Rowling promised that we would see Krum again ("though not soon"), leading to some speculation about his future role.
Many fans of Viktor in Goblet of Fire were jarred by his characterisation in Deathly Hallows. This Krum was suddenly interested in using his fame to get "good-looking girls" and talked of teaching people lessons while cracking his knuckles. In their Viktor Krum character essay, Red Hen describes this as "a comprehensive personality replacement" and so opted to "just ignore the spear carrier who was using [Krum's] name in DHs." The now 21-year-old Krum's interest in Ginny Weasley—who at that point was still fifteen—also ignited lingering uncomfortable feelings about Krum and Hermione's age difference and his interest in underage girls.
In the Films
Krum was portrayed by Stanislav Ianevski in the Goblet of Fire film. Ianevski also filmed footage for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 in which Viktor and Hermione dance at Bill and Fleur's wedding, but the scene was cut.
Fans of book!Krum are generally critical of how the character is depicted in the film: Hermione says she and Krum "don't really talk at all" and describes him as "more of a physical being" and "a bit annoying." Imposter!Moody says he has a "head... filled with sawdust."
- Viktor/Hermione - Canon during Goblet of Fire, with potential for more. By far Viktor's most popular pairing.
- Harry/Viktor - The two share a mutual respect and have a shared interest in Quidditch. They are also both famous and both seem to dislike their fame.
- Ron/Viktor - Ron idolizes Viktor as a Quidditch player and is angry and jealous when he dates Hermione.
- Viktor/Ginny - Based on Viktor's comments about her at Bill and Fleur's wedding. The two also share an interest in Quidditch.
- Cedric/Viktor - The two may have formed a bond during the Triwizard Tournament. They also share an interest in Quidditch.
- Charlie/Viktor - Based on a shared interest in Quidditch (Charlie was reportedly good enough to play professionally), and because Charlie lives in Romania, which borders Viktor's home country of Bulgaria.
- Viktor/Ron/Hermione - One way to resolve the canonical love triangle.
- Autumn into Spring by Crookshanks22. Viktor/OFC. Sequel to A Romance, with Dragons (Charlie Weasley/Katie Bell). (Dec 2005–Mar 2006)
- Time On His Side by kinky_kneazle. Viktor/Minerva McGonagall, inspired by The Time Traveler's Wife. Written for HP Beholder. (May 2011)
- Viktor and Hermione in the library and Viktor and Harry by the Forbidden Forest by Marta. Illustrations of canon scenes from Goblet of Fire. (May 2004)
- Krum disgustedly discusses Xenophilius' questionable accessories with Barny. by Drew Graham. Scene from Deathly Hallows: Krum and his "stupid little beard" with "Barny Weasley" (Polyjuiced Harry). (c. 2008)
- The Triwizard Champions. by kassillus. Portraits of Krum and the other Triwizard Champions. (Jul 2016)
- Viktor Krum by s0alaina. Character design sketches. (Jun 2017)
Viktor-centric Sites & Communities
- Brave, a Viktor Krum character shrine and archive (defunct; Wayback link)
- Viktor Krum Shrine, site for FictionAlley Park's "S.S. Viktory" (Viktor/Hermione ship) and "L.O.F.F." (Viktor Krum guild)
- Krumdiddlyumptious, a character shrine (defunct)
- Brilliance, a Krum fanlisting (defunct)
- for hermione, a Ron vs. Krum fanlisting (defunct)
- viktorkrum_soc community on LiveJournal
- viktor_ron, a Ron/Viktor community on LiveJournal
- ginnyviktor, a Viktor/Ginny community on LiveJournal
See also: Viktor/Hermione Sites & Communities
Other Links & Resources
- Viktor Krum tag at Archive of Our Own
- Viktor K. character filter at FanFiction.Net
- Viktor Krum Stories at FictionAlley and fic listing at FictionAlley Park
- Viktor Krum het recs at thegoldenseeker (2008)
- viktor-krum tag at Tumblr
- Viktor Krum at the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Viktor Krum at Harry Potter Wiki
- Explore the Story: Viktor Krum at Pottermore
- Viktor Krum at the Pottermore Wiki
- Viktor Krum Book 4 quotes and Book 5 quotes, compiled by Willow Severn
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 27: "Padfoot Returns" (2000).
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 16: "In the Hog's Head" (2003)
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 8: "The Wedding" (2007).
- J.K. Rowling and the Live Chat, Bloomsbury.com, July 30, 2007 (2.00-3.00pm BST). via Accio Quote!:
- Gandalfxj9: Did krum ever find love
- J.K. Rowling: Of course, though he had to go back to his native Bulgaria to do so.
- J.K. Rowling, DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY REUNITES AT QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP FINAL (as reproduced on the Harry Potter Wiki). Originally posted on Pottermore on 08 July 2014.
- For example, see HP4GU's Viktor Krum & Hermione - Arguments Against (Fantastic Posts & Where to Find Them, "Potential Romantic Pairings" by Penny Linsenmayer, archived by the Wayback Machine on 26 March 2004). J.K. Rowling had said of Goblet of Fire in 1999 that "Everyone's in love with the wrong person" (Goring, Rosemary. "Harry's Fame," Scotland on Sunday, 17 January 1999, via Accio! Quote).
- JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004 via Accio! Quote.
- Red Hen Publications, Viktor Krum. (Accessed 17 November 2017.)
- Bill and Fleur's wedding takes place on August 1, 1997 (the day after Harry's seventeenth birthday). Ginny's birthday is August 11, 1981 (per Pottermore, originally posted at J.K.Rowling Official Site).
- For example, see this post at Harry Potter Confessions on Tumblr, 27 October 2017.
- Blair Marnell at Nerdist, HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS Almost Had a Love Triangle, 03 November 2016.
- ArtDungeon.net. Update posted Wednesday, May 05, 2004, archived 22 May 2005 by the Wayback Machine.