Beauty and the Beast Fan Quality Awards
|Name:||Beauty and the Beast Fan Quality Awards, also known as the 'quality zine awards'|
|Fandom:||Beauty and the Beast|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Beauty and the Beast Fan Quality Awards were awards that were given to fanzine writers, publishers and artists. They were sponsored by the Beauty and the Beast International Fan Club and facilitated by Deb Hense and Jackie Paciello.
Any Beauty and the Beast with a copy of the voting form could vote. Awards were given at various annual conventions.
Procedures and Commentary
Enclosed are documents pertaining to the Fan Quality Awards. We would like as many people as possible to know about and become involved with these awards. In plain speaking: We truly want them to be FAN awards. Voted on by all of B&tB fandom and not just an active few.
Please try to find some space in your next publication for these pages. If you only have room for two pages: We would prefer the Official Ballot and the Voting Procedures be published. If you only have room for one - then the Official Ballot should be the one published.
The awards are being sponsored by the International Fanclub. Please note the word SPONSORED. The club does not have control over voting or the counting of the ballots. The international club is just getting the ball rolling with respect to getting a yearly awards procedure in place. Their only responsibility is to have the awards ready to present at TUNNEL CON I this year. Next year another group may take over the responsibility - this too, will be determined at Tunnelcon I.Please give us your support in this. Thank You
From the first year:
Fan Quality Awards Voting Procedures:
- 1. You do not have to be a registered member of Tunnel Con I or the B&B International Fanclub in order to vote.
- 2. You may vote only once for each category.
- 3. You may cast your vote by mailing the official ballot to Jackie Paciello [address redacted] NO LATER than June 30, 1990 or You may cast your ballot in person at Tunnel Con I.
- 4. All ballots must be signed in order to be valid.
- 5. Winners will be by simple majority. In the case of a tie, an immediate secret ballot will be taken of those members attending Tunnel Con , with the majority of votes determining the winner.
- 6. Results will be tallied by two persons to be selected by the Tunnel Con I Con Committee and will not include anyone already held in nomination in any category.
- 7. Results will be announced and awards presented at Tunnel Con I at a time to be specified.
The nominees were:
- Novel: Kim Prosser for "A Child is Born" and A.V. Wilde for The Promise
- Short story: Kathy Cox for "Echo" and Kathy Cox for "Visions of the Heart," both in Destiny #2
- Filksong: S.D. Nym for "Jungle Vincent" in B & B Lite, there were no other nominations
- Crossover story: Sheryl Tribble for "Shadows of Light," there were no other nominations
- Letterzine: Pat Almadine for Promises of Yesterday [sic] and Jeanne Cloud for Once Upon a Time... Is Now
- Overall fanzine: Lori Bartlett for Above and Below #1, Kathy Cox for Destiny #2, and Kay Simon for Heartsounds
- Novella: Kathy Cox for "Love & Light: The Fable" in Destiny #2 and Cynthia Hatch for The Bridge in Kaleidoscope
- Vignette: Karen Bates for "Shadow" in Faery Tale #3 and Kay Simon for "Vina's Story" in Heartsounds
- Poetry: Cynthia Hatch for "Words" in Kaleidoscope and Jackie Paciello for "To Catherine" in Rerun #6
- Artwork: Beth Blighton for the cover of Destiny #2, Dragon for page 175 in Light and Cloudshadows #3, and Pat Horowitz for the cover of Tunnels #1
- Newsletter: Vicki Burke for Whispering Gallery, Deb Hense for Beauty and the Beast International Fan Club Newsletter, and Stephanie Wiltse for Pipeline
- Overall artist: Beth Blighton and Lynne Gutshall
Tunnelcon I Awards
|Novel||A.V.Wilde for The Promise|
|Short story||Kathy Cox for "Visions of the Heart"|
|Filksong||S.D. Nym for "Jingle Vincent|
|Crossover story||Sheryl Tribble for "Shadows of Light"|
|Letterzine||Jeanne Cloud for Once Upon a Time... Is Now|
|Overall Fanzine||Kathy Cox for Destiny II|
|Novella||Cynthia Hatch for "The Bridge"|
|Vignette||Kay Simon for "Vina's Story"|
|Poetry||Cynthia Hatch for "Words"|
|Artwork||Beth Blighton for cover of Destiny II|
|Newsletter||Stephanie Wiltsie for "Pipeline"|
|Overall Artist||Beth Blighton|
The zine awards:
- Best misc. item: Rebecca Marcus for "Unspoken Guardians" in the Great Expectations zine
- Best newsletter: Once Upon a Time is Now edited by Jeanne Cloud & Loreen VanderKraats
- Best interior illus.: Sandy Chandler Shelton for Dancing Lights GE zine
- Best zine cover: Sue Glasgow for When the Phoenix Sings
- Best dramatic story: Rosemarie Hauer for "The Wish" in White Cover ed. by Trish Kehoe *Best Humorous story: a tie: Lucy Green "Female of the Species" in Circle of Light Adele Turner "To Dream" in Perchance to Dream
- Best Poem: Lynette Combs, "Dear Mr. Koslow" in the Great Expectations Zine
- Best anthology: Perchance to Dream by the DreamSeekers ed. Adele Turner
- Best digest zine: a tie: Lynette Combs, O Sweetest Song II; Linda Mooney, Lucy Green Old Souls
- Best zine: Great Expectations, A world of Dancing Lights. ed. by Roxanne Shearer Koogler
The art awards:
- Journeyman Division Wearable: Karen Wuattlebaum for a cape;
- Sandy Shelton, "Wanted";
- JoAnn Grant, Crystal Rose Logo.
- 3D: Sandy Shelton, etched goblet;
- Jean Tranum, "Together Below";
- Renee Long, Vincent's Window B/W: Sandy Shelton, "No Fear";
- Sally Perkins, "Contemplation";
- Inez Brown, #25 Color: Sally Perkins, "Dreams of Beauty";
- Inez Brown, #1; Dragon, "Innocent Eyes"
- 3D: Kerin Houseburg "And Do We Not Live in Dreams?"; Bill Seltzer, necklace, Vincent 'n Roses; Kerin Houseburg, "Father"
- B/W: Barbara Gipson, "Ozymandius"; Barbara Gipson, "All The Men I've Loved Before";
Dragon "Wishes and Dreams II"
- Color: Claire Siefert, "Someone to Watch Over Me"; *Beth Blighton, "Acquainted with the Night"; Jamie Murray, "Triangle"
- People's Choice: Claire Siefert, "Someone to Watch Over Me"
- Jamie Murray, "Triangle";
- Beth Blighton, "In Truth a Heart of Gold."
A special award was granted to Lyn Musaccio, of the New England B&B Hotline, and to Nan Dibble for The Helpers Network Gazette. The framed certificate reads, "Certificate of Appreciation for Keeping the Dream Alive awarded to Nan Dibble of the Helpers' Network Hotline In thanks for extraordinary service to the Beauty and the Beast Fandom. In the presence of fans, friends, and stars of Beauty and the Beast, you are commended for faithfully providing weekly information updates since 1991. May your good work continue for many years to come. Presented at TunnelCon III, Las Vegas, Nevada July 9, 1994."
Another source: Bluebird.
Helpers' Network congratulates the nominees and winners of this year's Fan Q awards. This year, any zine was eligible, no matter when it was written or published, so long as it had never won an award before. So don't be surprised that some of these are older zines. Winners are indicated by the numbers preceding the listing.
- 1 The Helper's Network Gazette
- 2 Soulmates, a Never-Ending Dream by Barbara Hill and Teri Milliman
- 3 Classic Connection by Joyce Fuller Kleikamp
- The B&B Newsletter by Pat Jackson
- Chatterbox by Rita Davies
- The Helper's Network UK newsletter by Gwen Lord and Jacqui Clarke
Best short story (under 20 pages):
- 1 "It Lasts for Always" by Lynette Combs
- 2 "Sweet Surrender" by Linda Barth
- 3 "The First Time" by Michele Sayles
- "Matchmaker" by Jesse Gurner and Linda Barth
- "To Bee or Not to Bee" by Lynette Combs
- 1 "Dream Seeker" by Lynette Combs
- 2 "Chamber Child" by Lynette Combs
- 3 "Tis Such a Sweet Pain" by Peggy Garvin
- "Below" by Peggy McNabb
- "Clothes Minded" by Peggy McNabb
- 1 BondStories 8 ed. by Joyce Fuller Kleikamp and Leslie Hunten
- 2 Embrace the Night ed. by Debbie Ristick and Anita Hooson
- 3 Huntress 2 ed. by Roxanne Shearer Koogler
- O Sweetest Song Verse 1 ed. by Lynette Combs
- Sensual Candlelight ed. by Anita Bowles
Best Novella (story over 20 pages, contained in zine with multiple stories):
- 1 "Down in the Dark" by Roxanne Shearer Koogler
- 2 "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Adele Turner
- 3 "Your Pain Is My Pain" by Teresa Teppe
- "Soulmates, Part IV" by Barbara Hill and Teri Milliman
- "Checkmate" by Teresa Teppe
- 1 One Day, a Rapture by Pamela Garrett
- 2 Beyond Beginnings by Linda Barth
- 3 When the Phoenix Sings by Sue Glasgow
- Beginnings by Pauline Marshall
- Circles by Adele Turner
- Detours by M. Sue Waugh and Teri Milliman
- Parallel Worlds Within the City by Peggy Garvin
Best Cover Art:
- 1 Rosemarie Hauer for Sensual Candlelight (also nominated for White Cover)
- 2 Teri Milliman for Soulmates, a Never-Ending Dream 4 (also nominated for Demons at the Gate)
- 3 Jan Durr for Huntress 2
- Lawrence Walker for Beyond Dreams
- Inez Brown for Beyond Beginnings I and II, A Heart to Hold, and Passion
- Mary Ellen Nicosia for O Sweetest Song (the one ed. by Carolyn Kleinsorge)
- Michelle Scott for Parallel Worlds Within the City
- Lynette Combs for Promises Fulfilled
- Anna Deavers Kelley for TunnelCon III
- Pam Tuck for Vincent's World 10
- Lynette Combs for What Light Through Yonder Window
These awards were given out at A Kingdom by the Sea convention.
Favorite Single Story Zine:
- Beyond Beginnings Book 2 - Linda Barth
- The Quickening - Teri
- In Search Of Angels - Trish Kehoe
Favorite Anthology Zine:
- All Things Are Possible Volume VII - Sandy Chandler Shelton
- Bondstories: IX - Joyce Kleikamp
- A Distant Shore Con Zine - Carousels & Caverns Community
Favorite Single Story:
- Everything To Lose - Sandy Chandler Shelton - All Things Are Possible VII
- Counterpoint - Linda Barth - Soulmates - A Neverending Dream
- Safe Haven - Teri - Bondstories: IX
- Wave Of Passion - Pat Leslie - 1996 Calendar
- The Haven - Ben Bock - The Mirror Pool
- Father's Grace - Peg McNabb - Beyond Beginnings Book 2
Favorite Fan Publication:
- The Crystal Rose - JoAnn Grant & Vicki Thomas
- Soulmates - A Neverending Dream - Barbara Hill
- Classic Connection - Joyce Kleikamp
Favorite Foreign Zine:
- Two of a Kind - Rosemarie Hauer
- Thanks to the Human Heart - Rosemarie Hauer
- One Moment in Time - Marilyn Preston
Favorite Work In Other Media:
- 1996 Wave of Passion Calendar - Sandy C. Shelton & Pat Leslie
- 1995 V/C Calendar - Rosemarie Hauer
- Songs of the Blue Bird Web Page - Eric Tullis
Favorite Cover Art:
- Passion of the Moment - All Things Are Possible VII - Sandy C. Shelton
- Cover of Soulmate - Soulmates - A Neverending Dream - Terri
- Cover of Demons at the Gate - Vincent's World Novel 8 � Terri
- Vincent (Eyes of Love) - All Things Are Possible VII - Sandy C. Shelton
- Vincent - Beyond Beginnings 2 - Terri
- Vincent (Dreamer) - Love Songs - Mickey Sayles