|Trope · Genre|
|Synonyms:||Woke Up Married|
|Related:||AMTDI, Pretend Couple, Pining, Bound Together|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Accidental Marriage is a trope where two characters suddenly end up married. This can happen because they marry while drunk or under the influence of drugs or hormones, they might wake up in an Alternate Universe where they are married, Time Travel can be involved, there could be external influences (it might be a case of Forced Marriage), it could be a case of Aliens Made Them Do It and/or misunderstandings with alien cultures... Writers have found many reasons to invoke this trope.
The marriage then changes the relationship between the characters in a significant way; often it happens to characters who weren't romantically involved before. One or both characters may have had prior feelings for the other one and awkward misunderstandings may lead to a lot of pining. Sometimes the characters will have to pretend to actually be together.
A popular subtrope is "waking up married in Vegas" and dealing with the consequences - usually ending up being stuck married for a certain amount of time. This usually allows the pairing in question grow closer to the point where they want to stay married. In these cases, the characters are only in Las Vegas for a short time before moving on.
- Rebound by astolat. Kris/Adam. The strategy had not included getting drunk himself and losing all sense of timing and being the tawdry and expensive rebound sex. (2009)
- What happens in Vegas... by redtoes. Oliver/Felicity. Oliver and Felicity wake up married in Las Vegas. But it's not what you think... It's memory loss and fake relationships and diamond heists and dealing with inquisitive journalists. (2013)
- What happened in Vegas... by Jules_Ink Oliver/Felicity. It's all fun and games until you wake up hung-over and married to a stranger. Five years ago Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak made a drunken mistake that could never be corrected. After years on a hellish island he comes back as a man on a mission only to find out that what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. (Season One Rewrite) (WIP)
- Accidents Will Happen podfic by argentumlupine of the fic written by melusina. Pete/Patrick. A bakery AU in which Pete accidentally files the domestic partnership form instead of the business partnership form. Since they don't notice the mistake for ten years, it's also an example of Didn't Know They Were Dating. (2015)
- Turn Off Trouble Like You Turn Off a Light by blithers. Darcy/Steve. "Oh, God," he said, and she knew just enough about Captain America to find this a pretty strongly worded statement on the situation. (Or, Steve and Darcy wake up married in Vegas.) (2013)
- Truly, Madly, Crazy, Deeply by harriet_vane. Liam/Louis. A non-famous AU In which Liam and Louis wake up married after Zayn's bachelor party in Las Vegas. (2012)
- nevada's fault by irishmizzy and miss_bennie. Niall/Zayn. Tourfic in which Niall and Zayn drunkenly get married during a game of Truth or Dare after a Las Vegas concert. Not an AU. (2014)
- A Strong Heart and a Nerve of Steel by lupinus and uraneia. Derek/Stiles. In which Stiles is the president's son, Derek is his bodyguard, and Papa President orders them to pretend to be in love for the sake of gay rights. (2013)
- Of Convenience by annenburg. Kirk/Spock. Kirk needs to get married for political reasons. Spock offers himself as the logical choice. (2009)
- Impulse Decisions by listerinezero. Charles/Erik. Erik wakes up in Las Vegas with a hell of a hangover, a telepath in his bed, and a ring on his finger. Now what? (2012)