|Pairing:||Poe Dameron/Finn (Star Wars)|
|Alternative name(s):||Stormpilot, FinnPoe, |
|Gender category:||Slash, M/M|
|Archives:||Poe Dameron/Finn on Ao3|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Poe Dameron/Finn is a non-canon relationship in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. They don't interact for much of the movie, mostly because Poe is assumed dead for most of the movie, but they connect quickly.
Their instant connection is supported in the novelization of The Force Awakens:
Was he being set up? Poe wondered. No longer needed, was he being made the subject of some cruel psychological trial, only to be thrown away at the conclusion? Yet there was something about the trooper that made Poe feel he could trust him. His manner, his look: There was something that said “throw in your lot with this one and you won’t be sorry that you did.”
— Alan Dean Foster's Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Following the release of the film, Stormpilot was initially the most popular ship, according to numbers of fanworks posted to AO3. However, Kylux eclipsed Stormpilot within a few months, leading to accusations of racism in TFA fandom. Issues of racism within Stormpilot fanworks were also discussed. See Star Wars: The Force Awakens#Racism In and Outside The Fandom.
This pairing maintained its position as the second most popular ship in the fandom for the remainder of 2016, and almost all of 2017. Prior to the Last Jedi, many fans were looking forward to interactions between Finn and Poe, and some were hopeful that they would become canon. However with the release of The Last Jedi, other ships like Reylo began to rise in prominence. While Finn and Poe shared a subplot in the film, their interactions were limited. Finn spent much more of his screentime with a newly introduced female character Rose Tico, who developed a crush on him and kissed him at the end of the movie after saving his life.
As of 20 January 2019, there are 5366 fanworks in the Poe/Finn AO3 tag. It is the third-most popular ship in the fandom by the numbers, following Kylux and Reylo.
In December 2019, leading up to the release of The Rise of Skywalker, some controversy arose when John Boyega and Oscar Isaac began discussing Finnpoe, both indicating that they thought the characters had strong chemistry and they would have been willing to explore a romantic connection between the two. Other TPTB, such as JJ Abrams, also indicated that they were aware of the popularity of Finnpoe and would have supported the relationship being canon, and that LGBT representation was important to them. Fans reacted unhappily to to confirmation that Finnpoe would never be canon. Some thought that it was disingenuous for creators to keep saying that they cared about LGBT representation and respected the desire to see it in Star Wars canon, but never deliver. There were some accusations of queerbaiting, though others argued that the promise of representation had never been made and acknowledging the ship did not automatically make it bait.
Origin of the name Stormpilot
The earliest mention of the name Stormpilot comes from a Tumblr post by user palizinhas  on the twelfth of November, 2015, stating:
I need to think of an actual ship name to call these two. Foe is awful. So is Pinn. Fimeron is… Strange. Damerinn is, well.
Honestly the best I could come up with is StormPilot. So I’ll use that until the fandom comes up with a better one.
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Clothes sharing: Finn wears Poe's leather jacket for most of TFA. Fics and fanart capitalize on this.
- Hurt Comfort works often focus on Finn helping Poe deal with the aftermath of his torture at the hand of the First Order.
- Jedi Finn or Force Sensitive Finn
- Modern AU
- Established relationship
- get over your hill and see what you find there by transsexualwarrior, Following the destruction of the Starkiller Poe is inexorably drawn to Finn, who is forced to carve out an identity for himself after a lifetime of nameless conformity. In helping Finn, Poe is taught how to become something more than the galaxy's greatest pilot, and Finn learns how to leave his stormtrooper past behind.
- fill with fire, exhale desire by serenfyrr, Finn lives in the wake of his failures and losses. Poe helps.
- Surrender by mikeymagee, Poe and Finn get into a little scuffle.
- Have you heard? by peradi, "I heard FN-2187 was a Stormtrooper." Finn sparks a revolution.
- just like it should by fabrega, "You're the Resistance's best pilot, and he's wearing your jacket. Just go talk to him!"
- Coming Together by orphan_acount, "I can fly anything. Are you Resistance?" FN-2187 stared at the words scrawled in messy Standard on his forearm. He didn’t know what they meant. Well, he didn’t know what they were supposed to mean at least. What they meant for him, though, was extra protocol sessions and more scrutiny from his superiors. (Soulmates AU)
- Sehnsucht by jiokra (scatteredmoonlight), an alternate first meeting fic inspired by a line from Poe's entry in the Visual Dictionary.
- i inked it, Archived version by transbucky
- BOYFRIENDS!!!!! FLIRTING!!!!!! IN SPACE!!!!!!!!!, Archived version by gretahs
- tfw your space husband comes back from the war by enrychan 
- finn in the tlj trailer gave me… sleeping beauty/snow white vibes…. by peachdeluxe
- Finn & Poe | Now and Again (Dec 2015)
- finn & poe | show me hope
- Can't Sleep Love (STORMPILOT) uses fanart
Archives & Fannish Links
- Star Wars, queer representation, and the mainstreaming of slash (2016)
- Your Vagina is a Bigot; My Vagina is a Saint by Franzeska, particularly Chapter 12: Fuck Cinnamon Rolls! Vodka for Breakfast! - Why Kylux is More Popular than Stormpilot
- Star Wars The Force Awakens Secret Romance? Stormpilot and Star Wars Stormpilot Returns by shippersguidetothegalaxy
- Based on number of fanworks produced and tagged on Ao3.Archived Link of Ao3 page for Sequel Trilogy on 19 December 2017 shows 4130 works in Poe Dameron/Finn and the archived Reylo tag shows 3869 Works in Rey/Ben Solo | Kylo Ren on the same date.