|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||soulbond, slavefic, dominance hierarchy, Sentinel and Guides are Known|
|See Also:||The Sentinel|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In The Sentinel canon, the Sentinel (Jim Ellison) has super-heightened senses, which can be useful tools for his job as a cop. Anthropology student Blair Sandburg helps him deal with the effects of those senses during the series. Ellison's super-heightened senses very often lead to his "zoning out" or becoming overfocused on one of the senses and in fanon (almost) the only thing that will help them return from a zone-out is assistance from a/their Guide.
In Sentinel AU fic, the terms Sentinel and Guide aren't just descriptions, they're an almost mystical calling, with the Sentinel and the Guide destined to find each other and be together. This may or may not include a soulbond, and the spirit animals present in The Sentinel canon may or may not be completely ignored. In some stories Sentinels and Guides are a societal institution managed by military or non-military bureaucracies, in others they are instead self-organized in pack structures, and there are probably many other variations in fanfic.
When Sentinels and Guides are a societal institution under the management of some kind of agency, either the Sentinel or the Guide is usually higher-class than the other, who may be little more than a slave.
These trope elements come directly from the Sentinel and Guides are Known trope in Sentinel fandom.
- Thomas and the Society of Sentinels by Alex51324, a fusion set in the interwar years in which Sentinels and Guides are well known but have their own unique subculture which, due to the military value of Sentinels, the establishment is prepared to make some exceptions to accommodate.
- Stopgap Measures by idelthoughts, Technically, Henry didn’t need a Guide. He’d gotten along for most of his life without one. He’d learned to cope, better than most lone Sentinels, but now that he’s met Jo, he’s remembering how much better he is with one.
- Harry Potter and the Sentinel Phenomenon by elyssblair, Harry/Draco fic where The Dursley's abandon Harry alone in the woods for a week, triggering his Sentinel gifts and leaving him hurting and in need of a Guide
- Kahu a Alaka’i by Cattraine, in which "Sentinels serve the military and Guides are chattel", with Steve as the Sentinel and Danny as the Guide.
- 'Uhane by Sealie, a series that features Danny as the Sentinel and Steve as the Guide.
- we'll share tomorrow by melonbutterfly, a Sam Wilson/T'Challa focusing on how Sam, an unbonded Guide, has to deal with the fact that the literal King of Wakanda is his Sentinel.
- Observations on Sentinels and Guides in Victorian London by RyuuzaKochou, set in a Victorian time in which Sentinels and Guides are forming packs and John and Sherlock are especially powerful.
Stargate Universe (SG-1/SGA/SGU)
- A Contemporary Re-Examination of Sentinels and Guides Pair Bonding in North America by creedcascade. Among other mentioned sets, Daniel Jackson is Jack O'Neill's Guide, but the focus is on Sentinel John Sheppard and Guide Rodney McKay unexpectedly bonding.
- A.W.O.L. by esteefee. McShep story in which Stargate Command treats Sentinels better than the rest of the world does because of their ability to sniff out Goa'uld.
- Like Strawberries in Summer by darkmoore, in which somewhat fragile Sentinel Rodney McKay has almost given up hope of finding his Guide until he meets John Sheppard.
- Lost and Found by rosiepaw, in which Sentinels like John are commonly treated as only one step up from animals by "Handlers" while bonded-type Guides are considered outdated legends.
- The Sentinels of Atlantis series by Keira Marcos, in which the Ancients "encouraged" the genetic spread of Sentinels and Guides as weapons against the Wraith. Many Sentinel/Guide couples, including super-alpha Sentinel John/super Guide Rodney.
- Unmapped by Jerakeen, in which Derek is a Sentinel without a Guide, and Stiles is definitely not a Guide.
- tags at the AO3: Alternate Universe - Sentinels & Guides, Alternate Universe - Sentinels And Guides Are Known
- /report episode discussing "which fandom characters would make a good Sentinel?": Slash Report - 28 August 2011
- What is this Sentinel/Guide tumblr post dated November 2013
- The role of "Guide" stems from episode 7 of the first season of The Sentinel, when Blair is referred to as Jim's guide, see Episode Transcript for Rogue. (Accessed November 15, 2008.)
- The character Rachel Pirzad in the television series Alphas looks a lot like a fanon "fragile Sentinel."
- reference link.