|Pairing:||Harry Potter/Hermione Granger|
|Alternative name(s):||Harry/Hermione, H/H, H/Hr, HP/HG,|
HMS Harmony, HMS Pumpkin Pie
|Other:||see also: Harmonian|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
As the Harry Potter fandom took off after the release of Goblet of Fire, Harry/Hermione was one of the two major shipping factions. Early communities such as Harry Potter for GrownUps had endless debates about whether Harry/Hermione or Ron/Hermione (and sometimes Harry/Ginny) would become canon. These debates generally bred ill will between the opposing sides and sometimes deteriorated into flamewars. In order to escape the ship wars, many fans created pairing-specific communities and archives.
The H/H-versus-R/H ship war continued past the publication of Order of the Phoenix and came to a climax with the publication of Half-Blood Prince in 2005, the book that canonized Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. A post-HBP interview with J.K. Rowling further angered those who thought Harry/Hermione would become canon: interviewer Emerson Spartz called H/Hr shippers "delusional" and Rowling implied that they had missed "anvil-sized" hints from the first five books.
Many fans of Harry/Hermione felt vindicated when, in a 2014 interview with Emma Watson, Rowling acknowledged that "in some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit" than Ron and Hermione, and that she had "felt this quite strongly" in Deathly Hallows when Harry and Hermione were alone in the tent. Rowling had previously discussed the "real pull between them" in the tent during a 2011 conversation with Steve Kloves, in which she called the film-only dance scene "perfect" and "completely true to the character."
- Harmony (a.k.a. HMS Harmony) - A popular name for the ship. It's a pseudo-portmanteau of the names "Harry" and "Hermione".
- Pumpkin Pie - Another name for the pairing. Comes from an early story by Narri, in which Hermione kisses Harry and he tastes like pumpkin pie.
- Harmonian - Originally just a name for someone who supports "HMS Harmony," it has come to refer specifically to a particular type of die-hard Harry/Hermione shippers, especially ones who insisted that H/Hr was going to become canon and everyone else was interpreting the books incorrectly. Sometimes spelt "Harmoanian" to emphasize their wankiness.
- Weasley Bashing - Especially of Ron, Ginny, and Molly but often the entire Weasley clan. However, Fred and George are often exempt from Weasley bashing, often siding with Harry and Hermione over their mother and siblings.
- Hermione and Ron date, but then break up - Sometimes with a dose of Weasley-bashing in the form of Ron being unfaithful and/or evil. Alternatively, Ron is often dead.
- The Draco Trilogy by Cassandra Claire
- The Paradigm of Uncertainty series by Lori Summers
- Trouble in Paradise by AngieJ
- Love is a Battlefield by Lissanne
- Orange-Violet Blooms by Grazhiana
- 101 Reasons to Ship Harry & Hermione
- "She's pulling me through..." (Deathly Hallows AU)
- Friends 'til Death
- Twenty Years (Deathly Hallows AU)
- you'll be in my heart
- All That He Needs
- post-war melancholy: an hhr list
- HP/HG recs at Know it Alls
- Harry/Hermione fic and art recs at Crack Broom
- Harmony Fic Recs by dreamleveille
Communities & Resources
- PumpkinPie.org, a Harry/Hermione fansite (defunct)
- Subtle Signs , a Harry/Hermione fansite
- Portkey.org, a fanfiction archive for Harry/Hermione as well as James/Lily, Draco/Ginny, and Ron/Luna
- Friendship, Bravery, and Love, a Harry/Hermione ship manifesto by goldy_dollar, written in March 2005
- HarryLovesHermione.com, a HHr fansite
- SenseandSensibility.org, a HHr fansite
- /r/HPharmony , a HHr subreddit
- Harmony & Co (+18) , a HHr Facebook Group
- hhr_news (newsletter community)
- harmoany (adult fiction)
- harmony_army (essays and "evidence")
- MuggleNet and The Leaky Cauldron interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling. 16 July 2005. (Accessed 21 May 2013.)
- J.K. Rowling and Emma Watson discuss Ron, Hermione, and Harry: The full interview 7 February 2014. (Accessed 28 October 2014.)
- "Creating the World of Harry Potter, Part 7: Story" from the Harry Potter Wizard's Collection. 06 July 2011.