|Scope/Focus:||Free!, Haikyuu, Yuri on Ice, Kuroko no Basuke, Prince of Tennis, Yowamushi Pedal, Diamond no Ace, Hikaru no Go, Chihayafuru, Ping Pong the Animation, Ookiku Furikabutte, Run with the Wind|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sports Anime is an umbrella fandom linking together anime and manga fandoms, usually regarding team sports, such as Free!, Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basuke, and Yowamushi Pedal, which, although they do not share characters, have in common a focus on teamwork, friendship, achievement, and passion. Although anime and manga featuring sports has been around since at least the 1980s, the genre is currently undergoing somewhat of a renaissance, with many new series coming out in a short span of time and social media allowing fans to share and hype up their fandoms to potential newcomers.
Sports anime are mostly shounen and often have a high school setting. The majority are focused on male characters, with casts often being overwhelmingly one gender due to the nature of team sports; this leads to yaoi shipping.
Individual series vary on the level of realism they portray - some feature characters with fantastical superpowers related to their sport, while others are a fairly grounded look at normal high school athletes.
- Many sports anime focus on an underdog team: either one that is just starting out, or one that was successful in the past and now needs to regain victory
- Usually the first episode or several episodes will feature some explanation of the basics of the sport and scoring; this is often done in-universe through an audience surrogate character who is new to the sport
- Sports anime meta: meta essay about "Real Life" in sports anime and manga
- Sports anime are known for being thrilling, perhaps melodramatic, considering the generally mundane setting, but engaging due to well-developed characters and motivations.
- sports anime bingo
Crossovers are common, as the stories generally take place in modern Japan. In crossover fanworks, characters may meet when they travel for their sports. In fanfiction, characters' sports and background are usually not changed.
A common trend is fan art comparing corresponding character types in different sports anime. These comparisons often involve swapping outfits or sports to highlight their similar attitudes.
Events and Challenges
- Sports Anime Shipping Olympics aka SASO, a large multi-fandom event that ran for two years, between 2015 and 2017
- SportsFest was started after the closing of SASO.