Hikaru no Go
|Name:||Hikaru no Go|
|Creator:||Yumi Hotta, Takeshi Obata|
|Date(s):||manga: 1998 - September 2003 anime: 10 October 2001 - 26 March 2003|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|External Links:||Studio Pierrot's Hikaru no Go homepage, TVTokyo's Hikaru no Go homepage, Wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Hikaru no Go (Japanese: ヒカルの碁) is a manga series by Obata Takeshi (artist) and Hotta Yumi (writer) that was serialized in Weekly Jump from 1998 to 2003. It was also adapted into an anime by Studio Pierrot, which aired in Japan from 2001 to 2003.
The series revolves around an elementary school student named Shindou Hikaru, who discovers a haunted Go board and meets the ghost of Fujiwara no Sai, a fictional go player from the Heian era. Initially, Sai plays go through Hikaru by telling him what moves to make, but after playing and defeating a young go prodigy by the name of Touya Akira, Hikaru becomes motivated to learn the game for himself. The series traces the story of Hikaru's relationship with the game, as he goes from a beginner to a professional go player, and the rivalry he develops with Akira along the way.
Hikaru no Go has a reasonably active fandom, especially on Livejournal and Fanfiction.net and recent immigrations to Dreamwidth and Archive of Our Own. In Japan, both the anime and manga came to a conclusion in 2003, meaning that unlike many anime/manga series, Hikaru no Go is a closed canon. The official English translation of the manga is complete as of May 2011, but English scanlations of the entire manga have been available for English-speaking fans for several years.
In English-language Hikaru no Go fandom, fic writing is the main activity, with occasional fanart, doujinshi, podfic and meta thrown into the mix. The fandom is very slash-friendly, perhaps because there are relatively few canonical female characters. One of the earliest English-language fan communities for the fandom was at the now-defunct Go-Luv site, which hosted doujinshi, fanart and fanfiction, as well as an extensive fan forum. Akira/Hikaru is by far the most popular ship. Popular ships also include Waya/Isumi, Kaga/Tsutsui and Ogata/Ashiwara, though there are even more pairings that are regularly written.
- GoGoHikago! (comprehensive wiki containing 1,051 articles)
- Character List Project
- Hikago Resources
- Hikago Sketchbook character notes I and II translated by hkfoot
- Hikago Artbook scans
- My Friday Night Files: Hikaru no Go (index to kifu for all the games depicted in the series)
- Sensei's Library: Hikaru no Go
- Scans from 10th anniversary rerelease of the manga scanned and uploaded by lucathia_rykatu
- Screencaps of the Hikaru no Go video game compiled by lucathia_rykatu
- Hikaru no Go Fic Compendium (journal deleted; archived version) compiled by toko.
- Best of Hikago (recs dating to pre-2006)
- Hikago Tribune Hikago_Tribune was a newsletter community dedicating to pulling together links on Hikaru no Go fanfiction and activity on Livejournal.
- Hikaru no Go -- Go-rgeous＊Characters Guide Translations by Phnx and Love
- hikarunogo The LiveJournal Hikaru no Go Community
- igo_yaoi Hikaru no Go Slash Community
- blind_go A guess-the-writer challenge community (see Blind Go)
- kifu_archive Support community for Blind Go
- fifthmus A gift exchange community recently moved to Dreamwidth
- hng_deathmatch A tournament-style challenge community
- ihikago A podfic challenge community
- hikago_icons Hikaru no Go icons