Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru
|Name:||Run with the Wind, 風が強く吹いている, Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuite Iru|
|Date(s):||October 3, 2018 - March 27, 2019 (anime), 2007 - November 17, 2019 (manga)|
|Medium:||Anime, Film, Manga, Novel,|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|External Links:||Official Website (Japanese)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru (also Run with the Wind or Kazetsuyo) is a 23-episode sports anime series following Kurahara Kakeru, Kiyose Haiji and the Kansei University Track Club in his dream of running in the Hakone Ekiden - one of the most prominent university marathon relay races in Japan. The series is produced by Production I.G, directed by Nomura Kazuya and written by Kohei Kiyasu, based on novel of the same name by Miura Shion.
Witten by Shion Miura, and published by Shinchosha it on September 22, 2006, a second edition it release on July 1, 2009.
Adaptation by Sorata Unno launched in Shueisha's seinen manga magazine Weekly Young Jump in 2007. It moved to Monthly Young Jump in 2008, where it ran until 2009
Adaptation premiered in October 2009, they version is called Feel the wind
Premiered from October 2, 2018 to March 26, 2019 on Japan. An English dub of the series was confirmed by Sentai on November 16, 2019
Former ace runner of Sendai Josei High School, Kurahara Kakeru is chased away from a convenience store for shoplifting. Shaking off his pursuer, he runs into Kiyose Haiji, another student from his university. Haiji is impressed by Kakeru's agility and persuades him to live in "Chikusei-sō", the run-down apartment where Haiji resides along with eight other students. Having lost his entire apartment deposit at a mahjong parlor, Kakeru accepts the offer reluctantly.
However, Haiji reveals a secret during Kakeru's welcoming party: the apartment is actually the dormitory of the Kansei University Track Club. He unveils his ultimate goal of participating in the Hakone Ekiden—one of the most prominent university marathon relay races in Japan. Unfortunately, all the residents apart from Haiji and Kakeru are complete running novices. Worse still, none of the inhabitants are even remotely interested in being involved with Haiji's ridiculous plan! With only months before the deadline, will the fourth-year student be able to convince them otherwise and realize his elusive dream of running in the Hakone Ekiden?
- Kakeru/Kurahara Kakeru. Is a 1st year sociology student at Kansei University Student and an experienced runner. A prodigious athlete since high school, he became disillusioned due to an incident on his old Track and Field team. He first joined Chikusei-so after Haiji meets him stealing from a convenience store. Over the course of the story, Kakeru learns the meaning of running together with others.
- Haiji/Kiyose Haiji. Is a 4th year Kansei University Student and a long time resident of Chikusei-so. He has dreams of running in the Hakone Ekiden with a team and slowly built up one of at-first unwilling acquaintances at the dorm. Despite recovering from a knee injury, Haiji remains one of the most enthusiastic residents and coach of the group.
- Shindo/Sugiyama Takashi. Generally considered an honor student by the other residents of Chikusei-so, Takashi is an earnest student from the mountain regions. He was the first convinced by Haiji to give running a chance and has been a significant driving force behind the others. His dedication towards training originally stemmed from wanting to inspire and impress his family, but eventually became something entirely his own.
- Prince/Kashiwazaki Akane. Akane is a manga enthusiast with his room filled to the brim with various volumes. He began as one of the most reluctant and slowest members due to his lack of physical stamina and indoor tendencies. Akane picked up his training after Takashi had his family send over a treadmill for him to remain indoors to read manga. After finding true inspiration from his friends at Chikusei-so and Kakeru's presence, he pushes himself beyond his limitations.
- Jota/Jō Tarō. The older of the Jō twins and is nearly indistinguishable from his younger brother. The two think and act in tandem. Though he was originally driven by the intention to attract girls through running, Jota came to appreciate the sport.
- Joji/Jō Jirō. The younger of the Jō twins and appears almost the exact same as his elder brother. Originally intending to run for the sake of becoming popular with girls, he realize that running was something enjoyable in itself.
- Yuki/Iwakura Yukihiko. He passed the bar examination on his first try. Yuki was initially reluctant to run and was bent on defying Haiji's enthusiasm, but eventually got drawn into it as the others members did. He hates the smell of tobacco coming from Akihiro's smoking until he quit for running.
- Musa/Musa Kamala. Musa is a native to Tanzania. He moved to Japan to study Space and Engineering as a sponsored international student at Kansei University. His Japanese still has flaws leading to some misunderstandings and written mistakes. Kind and earnest, Musa is always supportive of his other team members and is well known by the residents of the local shopping district.
- King/Sakaguchi Yōhei. Due to his love of trivia, Yohei is a 4th year Sociology student at Kansei University. Besides his nightly trivia marathons, he's generally preoccupied by job hunting to no avail. Yohei eventually relented and joined in the team's efforts due to the earnest words of Takashi.
- Nico-senpai/Hirata Akihiro. Due to his habit of smoking. Prior to entering Kansei University, he ran Track during high school but quit due to his coach. As Akihiro picked up running again under Haiji's influence, he stopped smoking and began to make small metallic figures as a substitute.
- Hana-chan/Katsuta Hanako. She is a 3rd year high school student and daughter of one of the shop owners in the local shopping district. At Haiji's request, Hanako rode her bike alongside the team and also times their runs. She's become well known for her terrible cooking.
- Kōsuke/Sakaki Kōsuke. Sakaki was a member of Kakeru's high school Track and Field team. He developed an eternal grudge towards Kakeru after causing an incident that affected their entire team.
- Kazuma/Fujioka Kazuma. Kazuma is a running prodigy and famous among intercollegiate track meets and races. He knew Haiji prior to his knee injury and becomes a target for Kakeru to defeat.
- Genichirō/Tazaki Genichirō. Genichiro is the landlord of Chikusei-so and the official coach of the team. However, he leaves most of the work to Haiji and his enthusiasm.
Its release in the fall of 2018 rejoiced the fannish sports anime community. The teasers and trailers released over the months created the anticipation of the creation of pairings even before the first episode premiere.
The first fanfictions in AO3 and FFN were created respectively in the days October 4 and 23, 2018, by the fan writer barbaravitoriatp, who also created the fandom categories on both sites at the request of his colleagues fannish by Kazetsuyo.
The fandom and the amount of fanworks expanded over time as the anime developed. On FanFiction.Net there are a total of 16 works in fandom. In contrast, in the Archive of Our Own there are 758 works and the category continues to expand.
Resources & Communities
- Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru tag on Archive of our Own
- Anime Running + Training Plans on Tumblr
- Kazetsuyo sideblog on Tumblr
- Kazetsuyo deviantArt group
- Run with the Wind Wikia
- Run with the Wind (Anime) Wikia